Update on Alyson's Surgery and Prayer Requests.

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Update on Alyson's Surgery and Prayer Requests.

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful news Dale!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Dale, great news for path going forward ::tu:: Please tell Alyson that Lloyd in Las Vegas wishes her the very best for a speedy recovery and will continue praying for her, you, the treatment Doctors and care givers!!
Lloyd
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Amen, she's still on our prayer list
God bless you both. ::pray:: 🙏 ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys, we appreciate your prayers. Alyson is doing well in recovering from the surgery.
She meets with the plastic surgeon on Wednesday and will get the last of the drains removed. On Friday, she has a surgical procedure which should last about six hours to install the port to be used during chemotherapy. They will give her a week to heal up and then on the following Friday, (July 2nd), she starts chemotherapy.
The chemo is divided into two phases, phase one and phase two. (Such creative names!)
The oncologist says this is the hardest part of chemo Is phase one because they are giving her two drugs per session. The sessions are spaced two weeks apart come. Session one should be completed about the end of August. Phase two is supposed to be easier because they only administer one chemotherapy drug at each of these sessions. That session should end bout the end of October.

I will try to keep everyone updated if there is something significant to share with you should that happen. Otherwise, I will try to update everyone monthly. I probably won't be around the forum as much, because I'm pretty busy helping her get to her appointments. I also have several things I want to put in my store, but haven't had a chance to do that yet and I am trying to get some work done in the shop. I have never been as busy since I retired, as I am now, I believe. first year of retirement was boring. And I haven't caught up since the second year started!

Thank you Lord, that I'm not bored! :D

God bless you guys, and thanks again for your prayers.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Thank you for the report Dale. Alyson remains on our church prayer list and I have folks all the time ask how she is doing and that they pray for her right along with others every day. I've never been in a church before that the members care and lift one another up to the Lord in prayer as much as these folks do and I'm so very thankful for them.

Our prayers will be continuous, day by day and I know the Lord will bless you and Alyson throughout this period of treatments and recovery.

God's richest blessings,
David
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you David.
That is quite encouraging to hear.
Blessings to you and to that praying Church!!!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks for the update Dale. Continued prayers for y’all.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for the update Dale.
God is our strength and I am sure if you and Alyson trust in Him, He will give you strength.
I am continuing to pray for you both.
May God bless you beyond measure.
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Forgive me guys for being so slow to update you on Alyson's progress in her battle with cancer.
I am beginning to see just how hard that battle can be. Some people give up, but Alyson is not a quitter!

She had her first chemo treatment on Friday July 2nd. They told her that her worst days would probably be days 3 to 5 after the treatment, so far that has been pretty accurate.
The nausea has been pretty well controlled by the medications they have given her. I don't think she was ready for the intensified flu-like aches and pains all over her body and her joints. Neither one of us were ready for the chemo fog that seems to be in her brain from time to time.

I know she was not prepared with the feeling of exhaustion it comes with the chemotherapy. This was also a factor in the last week of June and up until about July 3rd when we had record setting temperatures here in Oregon. We had 117 degrees here in Salem. Having grown up in Oregon in the Ashland area I had seen 116° on the thermometer before, but with far less humidity than what we have here in the Mid-Willamette Valley.
The last I heard the weather folks were trying to decide if that was just a all-time record for Salem or if that was an all-time record west of the Cascade Mountains in northern Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I haven't heard anything verified that or not yet.
The climate in Salem is usually very mild and the latter part of June normally runs about 70° on  average. Because we are not used to be it is kind of a double whammy. It makes her chemotherapy more painful, and the heat takes a toll on takes a toll on us both. I find myself struggling just trying to do the chores I need to do!

Today, July 7th, is much cooler. We are supposed to have drizzle, but I don't think that it's happening. The forecast high today is 79 degrees, the only day in the next 10-day forecast that is not supposed to be in the 80s or 90s. Enjoying the reprieve and going down to the barber shop and get a haircut.

Today Alyson is 5 days out from chemo and feeling somewhat better, not great but better. I am thanking the Lord for her improvement!

We appreciate all your prayers!
I will try and give more frequent updates. It is sure good to hear her sounding better!

Thank you all for your prayers!
God bless you all!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that update Dale.
I will continue to pray that God will give Alyson AND YOU strength to endure this chemo.
I pray that God will grant you strength to be there to help Alyson and to boost her confidence. God bless you both.

This weather has been CRAZY this year. Down here is Mississippi where the temps are usually upper 90s and 100 this time of year, we are seeing upper 80s and a few low 90s.

God's plan is perfect. He knows our needs and handles everything in His time.

Thank you Heavenly Father for giving your Angels constant watch over Alyson and Dale.
We praise you for being their strength. Please continue to give healing to Alyson.
We love you Heavenly Father.
May your will be done.
In the holy name of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

My friend you have a lot to deal with at the moment, update when you can, we will all understand. ::handshake::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Dale thanks for the update. My prayers continue daily for you and Alyson and I know our Heavenly Father hears all of our prayers.
God Bless.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Y'all hang in there, Brother Dale.
Be reminded, folks all over are praying for you and Miss Alyson.
Hopefully the weather will get back to normal and y'all can be more comfortable as her treatments and healing continue.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks for the update Dale, as Cudgee said we appreciate the updates but we understand if life gets in the way and you don't get to it.
Will keep you both on the prayer list. Godspeed. ::pray:: ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you guys for your continued faithfulness in prayer for Alyson! She had her second treatment of chemo on Friday, July 16th. She is starting to come out of it a little bit today, this being the fourth day since the chemo was administered. It knocks her down pretty good and she's pretty much in bed for the first couple of days. Our little dog wouldn't hardly leave her side until today. It takes about four days after chemo before she starts to get a little relief from the nausea and fatigue. Our little dog Zoe will hardly leave her to go to the shop and eat or to go outside for the bathroom. she really seems to since when Alyson is feeling her worst.

I'm still doing some workout in my shop to get it a little bit cleaned up and make it more user friendly.

Thanks again for all your prayers guys, they make a world difference!

PS - We did get some great news last week about her cancer, it has NOT metastasized, and there is no cancer there has moved into the bones. Praise God!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Thanks for the update and for sharing a "Praise the Lord" PS!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Praise the Lord for that wonderful update Dale.

We are all praying for Alyson daily. We know God knows Alyson's needs but I know God delights in seeing his children support another child of His through thoughts and prayers every day.

Yes, I really believe dogs can sense when their "moms and dads" are having a hard time. That is when they want to show their love to us!

Thanks you Heavenly Father for the beautiful update from Dale. We know You are in charge of this situation. We all delight in seeing your miracles.
We give you all the praise and glory.
In the name of Jesus we pray.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Praise the Lord!
Thank you Father for sister Alyson, and Dale. Your will be done, Amen!
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Praise the Lord for that report Dale. We have people at our church that continually ask how she is doing.
Mr. Griffin use to sit either in Vera's bedroom door or next to her chair. They really know when we are
not feeling well. We're all your prayer warriors and we're in the battle with you and Alyson.

Father we know you hear our prayers and we are lifting Alyson up to you for comfort and healing through
this hard time. Father we know that with you all things are possible and we are asking for this cancer to
be remove and that Alyson's health be return. Father give our brother Dale the strength to provide daily
care for Alyson and to do all that is needed around their home. Father you know what is needed and we
are praying for your provisions in their lives. We pray in the Blessed name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale'
Sorry Miss Alyson has to feel so bad from these treatments. We continue to ask the Lord's blessings on you both as you go through this healing time.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thank you for the update, Dale. Glad to hear there is some positive news in all this. Hope she feels better soon.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi guys,
It has been a while since I have updated this posting, not because I have not wanted to, or had no news to share, I just have not been able to have the time and concentration make the post.

I'm sure many of you have had experience  with a spouse who has been through chemo, and know what it is like. I didn't I think it would be easy but there are certain aspects of it that I was not prepared for. I think me the worst part is the way the chemotherapy effects her especially in the first few days after she has a treatment. I have heard Willy Camaro use the term "chemo brain" now I understand on a much more personal level at that means! LOL

I was back in the hospital again blockage in my colon, fortunately I was only in the hospital on Thursday  and went home on Saturday a week ago. That always leaves me feeling weak and wiped out for a few days.

This week last week has brought brand new challenges, mostly about dealing with a potential case for covid in my step daughter, Gina, who lives with us. Gina became ill Monday w/ symptoms of covid. Of course she was concerned about exposing Alyson to the virus while she has her immune system is weaken the by the chemotherapy.
Gina sat in line for 4 or 5 hours in her car waiting to get tested only to be told that she had not been symptomatic long enough, but she came back in the morning they would test her. She went back in the morning, they tested her, her test results were negative. I would have thought that would have been the end of the covid issue, though the issue remains she was sick probably with the flu or a cold.
However, it did not go that simple in Super Blue Oregon! She was told that she could have a false negative test, so she still had to quarantine for 10 days! Oh, I forgot to say she was supposed to start a new job on Monday as well. Fortunately her employer is very understanding and Gina may start the new job when she it's over the quarantine.

To keep  Alyson from getting Gina's flu, or whatever it is we are staying in our motorhome at my stepsons house in St Helens OR.  My only access to the web is my smartphone, which I am beginning to think pretty stupid!

I appreciate all of your prayers, they are working! I know they're working because I had not gone completely insane yet!

I am also really appreciated the private messages of encouragement from several of you. Thank you so much oh, I will try to answer them as quickly as I can on dumb phone!

God bless you all thanks again for your prayers. Also please pray for all veterans. The whole thing with Afghanistan was like a  48 year flashback for me. I officially do not have PTSD so I can only imagine how badly it affects people who DO officially have PTSD!
Please also pray for the people of Afghanistan. God loves them as much as he loves any of us and His heart is agonizing over there going through. Some of you will be pleasantly surprised to know that second fastest growing Church in the world is the church in Afghanistan. Perhaps what the enemy intended for evil (20 years of war) God is using it for good.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen brother!

Prayer is a powerful thing, are Lord listens to his children, He pulls us through no matter what's happening around us.

God's blessings to y'all, get better lickety split!
Winston Churchill

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that update Dale!

I'm glad to see that you are staying focused on our Lord during this time of tribulation in your family. Our trials make us stronger!

God is our strength. Without Him, we are lost and groping around blindly. God will bless those who love Him!

I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family!

Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!!!

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”