Update on Alyson's Surgery and Prayer Requests.

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Update on Alyson's Surgery and Prayer Requests.

Post by treefarmer »

Dale'
Sorry Miss Alyson has to feel so bad from these treatments. We continue to ask the Lord's blessings on you both as you go through this healing time.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thank you for the update, Dale. Glad to hear there is some positive news in all this. Hope she feels better soon.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi guys,
It has been a while since I have updated this posting, not because I have not wanted to, or had no news to share, I just have not been able to have the time and concentration make the post.

I'm sure many of you have had experience  with a spouse who has been through chemo, and know what it is like. I didn't I think it would be easy but there are certain aspects of it that I was not prepared for. I think me the worst part is the way the chemotherapy effects her especially in the first few days after she has a treatment. I have heard Willy Camaro use the term "chemo brain" now I understand on a much more personal level at that means! LOL

I was back in the hospital again blockage in my colon, fortunately I was only in the hospital on Thursday  and went home on Saturday a week ago. That always leaves me feeling weak and wiped out for a few days.

This week last week has brought brand new challenges, mostly about dealing with a potential case for covid in my step daughter, Gina, who lives with us. Gina became ill Monday w/ symptoms of covid. Of course she was concerned about exposing Alyson to the virus while she has her immune system is weaken the by the chemotherapy.
Gina sat in line for 4 or 5 hours in her car waiting to get tested only to be told that she had not been symptomatic long enough, but she came back in the morning they would test her. She went back in the morning, they tested her, her test results were negative. I would have thought that would have been the end of the covid issue, though the issue remains she was sick probably with the flu or a cold.
However, it did not go that simple in Super Blue Oregon! She was told that she could have a false negative test, so she still had to quarantine for 10 days! Oh, I forgot to say she was supposed to start a new job on Monday as well. Fortunately her employer is very understanding and Gina may start the new job when she it's over the quarantine.

To keep  Alyson from getting Gina's flu, or whatever it is we are staying in our motorhome at my stepsons house in St Helens OR.  My only access to the web is my smartphone, which I am beginning to think pretty stupid!

I appreciate all of your prayers, they are working! I know they're working because I had not gone completely insane yet!

I am also really appreciated the private messages of encouragement from several of you. Thank you so much oh, I will try to answer them as quickly as I can on dumb phone!

God bless you all thanks again for your prayers. Also please pray for all veterans. The whole thing with Afghanistan was like a  48 year flashback for me. I officially do not have PTSD so I can only imagine how badly it affects people who DO officially have PTSD!
Please also pray for the people of Afghanistan. God loves them as much as he loves any of us and His heart is agonizing over there going through. Some of you will be pleasantly surprised to know that second fastest growing Church in the world is the church in Afghanistan. Perhaps what the enemy intended for evil (20 years of war) God is using it for good.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen brother!

Prayer is a powerful thing, are Lord listens to his children, He pulls us through no matter what's happening around us.

God's blessings to y'all, get better lickety split!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that update Dale!

I'm glad to see that you are staying focused on our Lord during this time of tribulation in your family. Our trials make us stronger!

God is our strength. Without Him, we are lost and groping around blindly. God will bless those who love Him!

I pray that God will continue to bless you and your family!

Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!!!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Sorry for the bumps in the road you have been taking lately, Dale. Continue your faith in our Lord.

I'll be praying for you guys out there. And our veterans...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dale,
Sorry to read of all the complications, seems like when it rains, it pours! You and Miss Alyson hang in there. Praying y'all don't end up with the covid mess on top of everything else.
The world situation sure makes us wonder how much more before the Lord says it's time? As rough and terrible as things are, we know who holds us in His hand!
Treefarmer

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Amen brothers!
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Amen brothers still got Alyson and you on the prayer list will pray for Gina as well. God bless. ::pray:: ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

9/17/21 Update on Alyson

The last time I updated this topic was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Alyson had just gotten her first chemo treatment of the second round of chemo therapy. Each round of chemo consist of four sessions of chemotherapy, two weeks apart.
The second round of chemotherapy is with a drug called Traxall or (something like that). This drug causes less nausea than the combination of drugs used in the first round of chemo therapy but it does tend to cause joint pain and bone pain, especially if the patient has fibromyalgia, which Alyson does have. She was in excruciating pain for two weeks until the 9th of August when she went to see the doctor. The oncologist informed her; oops sorry, "we overdosed you at your last chemotherapy treatment." At least that explained why she had such intense pain for almost 2 weeks straight. She got her second dose of Traxall September 10 and the doctor reduce that dose by 1/3. She still having a fair amount of pain with it but it does take the edge off enough she can get out go somewhere. We are both in a little stir crazy! 

Today we went to the Oregon coast where we hope to get a few days rest and maybe some storm watching since there seems to be a storm rolling in.

We are also thankful but Gina is much better and was able to start her new job.

We are thankful Alyson is able to get out of the house and go to the coast. 
We had some good wind earlier and I heard some light sideways rain hitting against the side of the house. The Oregon Coast is famous for its sideways rain!
Tomorrow we're hoping to go to Tillamook,get some cheese at the Tillamook Cheese factory and some wonderful gluten-free clam chowder which we discovered on our last other than this area.

I will try to do more frequent updates, or at least update you when she has a chemotherapy treatment. Praise the Lord there are only two chemotherapy treatments left! Then she has about 30 days before she starts her radiation therapy. Lord willing and if she feels good enough we plan to go visit the new great-granddaughter in Arizona between chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

Hopefully will have some pictures to update a little Coastal trip here, maybe some good storm surf or other Coastal weather related pictures.

Thank you all for your continued prayers for Alyson and for me. We both rely on as heavily!
God bless you all!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thank you for the update, Dale. Good to hear y'all are now able to stir around a bit during these treatments. Praying God's hand will continue to be with the medical folks providing Alyson's treatments and that He will give you the strength to continue to be the strong shoulder she needs during recovery.
Treefarmer

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Thank you for the update Dale. You both are still on our church weekly prayer list. I prayer God will grant you both the strength to get you through this process. Rest and enjoy your time at the coast and we hope to hear from you before your trip to Arizona. God Bless you both.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you for the update brother! The Lord continues to strenghten and carry you through this, I have your back in prayer guys.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Glad to read that Alyson is able to do something fun and not just sit around and be in pain. I'm sure it does help to take her mind off things a bit.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

::ds:: Praise the Lord!
Great to hear, Dale.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

We tried to get some pictures at the coast this weekend here at Pacific City. We got some foggy pictures of Haystack Rock yesterday but the storm was coming in and you couldn't even see the whole rock. I went back this afternoon got some better pictures before the storm came in for this evening. This rock is known as Haystack Rock, although I believe there is a second rock called haystack rock on the southern part the Oregon Coast. After the storm came in this evening it started raining hard so there were no sunset pictures.

Haystack Rock is also known as Chief Kiawanda Rock although his name is spelled differently than Cape Kiwanda.
Attachments
Friday afternoon with the storm rolling in you can see the bottom of Haystack Rock about in the center of the picture.
Friday afternoon with the storm rolling in you can see the bottom of Haystack Rock about in the center of the picture.
Taken Sunday afternoon between storms. You can see the face of the chief and you can even see his ponytail at the back side of the Rock. Chief Kiawanda was the chief of the Nestuhha tribe who inhabited this area in the late eighteen hundreds.
Taken Sunday afternoon between storms. You can see the face of the chief and you can even see his ponytail at the back side of the Rock. Chief Kiawanda was the chief of the Nestuhha tribe who inhabited this area in the late eighteen hundreds.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I thought it would add a couple of more pictures it might interest some of you folks. A picture of the store sign is taken the little town of Beaver, Oregon a few miles south of where we are staying.
I talked to the gentleman who ran the store and he was very friendly. He had a few modestly priced knives that were serviceable, no old ones though. He also had a few guns a little bit of ammo but, like everyone else he has trouble getting ammo and the gun sell out really quickly. I was actually impressed that he had as much as he did there.

If you're ever driving up Highway 101 through Oregon, make sure you stop at the Beaver Store, buy a soda, a cup of coffee, a knife, ammunition or a new gun. He was a great gentleman to talk to and I think most of you'll would get along great with him. If nothing else get you a dozen oysters for the barbecue. $10 a dozen is a good price for oysters and they're very tasty! Personally I prefer oysters on the barbie over shrimp on the barbie!
Stop in and say Howdy at the Beaver Store. Make sure to spend  a few dollars while you're there, I'm sure they would appreciate it.
Stop in and say Howdy at the Beaver Store. Make sure to spend a few dollars while you're there, I'm sure they would appreciate it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Interesting pictures, Dale! I like the store picture, Firearms and Grocery. ::tu:: Glad y'all were able to make the trip. ::tu::
Seems like not too many years ago, we could buy a burlap bag (probably a bushel-maybe a 125 count) of Apalachicola oysters for $6.00. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Now that sounds like my kind of store, food, knives, guns and ammo. Hope you both had a great time Dale.... :D
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for sharing Dale, glad you two were able to get away for a while. ::nod:: ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I love that picture Dale! 10 bucks a dozen isn't bad for some GOOD oysters!

Thanks for the update! Your friends are keeping you and Alyson in our thoughts and prayers daily!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you guys for all your prayers and kind words.
It really does make an enormous difference!
I know for everyone of you that post there's probably a dozen of you that are praying.
God bless you guys, y'all are the best!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

We are so glad to hear that God is working in yours and Alyson's life! It is such a testimony to have the true and living God work a miracle in your life!
I know you and Alyson are sharing your testimony with others so they can have Jesus in their life!

I pray that you both will have a very good week! God is your strength Dale!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

What I hope is the LAST CHEMOTHERAPY UPDATE!

Well, Alyson is scheduled for her 4th and hopefully last chemotherapy appointment tomorrow about 10 AM.
After her adverse reaction to the first treatment in this second series of chemo I was concerned she might have that much trouble with all 4 of the treatments in the second series. Praise the Lord, she did not have as bad a reaction to the third treatment in this series and hopefully tomorrow's treatment will be even less problematic.
We were able to go to the coast last weekend with some of the family, and celebrate the sixth birthday of one of our great granddaughters. We also got a 1-1/2 days to ourselves before the kids got there, so we both got a little rest.

This is Grace with her birth the blanket, bring it to me to be opened.
Grandma told her to see grandpa because he had a knife and could open her package.
Grandma told her to see grandpa because he had a knife and could open her package.

We stayed in a little town called Rockaway, I found a few knives there and some up further north towards Nehalem and Wheeler. These are little towns wide spots in the road that may only have one antique store and no service station!

The pictures here are around The Nehalem Bay.
Farmland and hills near Nehalem Oregon
Farmland and hills near Nehalem Oregon
The Nehalem Bay
The Nehalem Bay
There was too much light and too much fog to get a good sunset picture so I snap this one about 5 o'clock Sunday evening.
There was too much light and too much fog to get a good sunset picture so I snap this one about 5 o'clock Sunday evening.

I tried to post this last night and for some reason it disappeared. It was gone when I check that this afternoon.
Thank you all for your prayers, they make a great deal of difference!

Mike, you are so right the Lord is my strength!

Bless you guys!

Thanks for all your prayers guys
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good to hear the good news! And those pictures are wonderful. That sure is beautiful country, and I’m glad y’all got some rest.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”