ROLAND UPDATE

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: ROLAND UPDATE

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ll always remember Roland for his knowledge of German-made knives and stamps, among other things. Often when someone requested info about a German-made knife, Roland knew the details. He willingly shared his vast knowledge and often had shared not only his knowledge but also pictures of the same or similar knives from his collection. A most remarkable collection it was, too.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

May Roland RIP.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

After Roland posted about his diagnosis and pending complex surgery, there was an outpouring of prayerful concern and comfort here on AAPK.

Roland was not a Believer and was either agnostic or an atheist, yet, he was so affected by our expressions of prayerful support that he stated in a post that he had been moved to begin reading in The Bible.

I sincerely hope that had a positive and saving effect on him.

Does anyone here that was in email or telephone contact with him recently have an opinion on that?

Roland responded in a thread here re’ knives made in China. I was not opposed to them as some are, as I own a couple of very well made knives from an American retail distributor, A.G. Russell.

Roland requested my mailing address and shortly after a box arrived with three very nice Chinese made folders from three different makers, all new, in the box.

He just wanted to show me the quality that could be obtained there.

I carry one of them everyday.

I will miss Roland and I’d be ecstatic to find him in Heaven when I arrive.

He was a very good man.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

"Roland was not a Believer and was either agnostic or an atheist, yet, he was so moved by our expressions of prayerful support that he stated in a post that he had been moved to begin reading in The Bible."

This admission from Roland is a GREAT testament to how God answers prayer(s). It is obvious Roland was moved by our heartfelt prayers and that the Holy Spirit was speaking to him. I have to believe that. Although Christ was 'knocking at his door', we don't know at this time whether Roland answered that call and invitation. If someone knows if Roland came to Christ during his last many days, there are many here who would be elated to know if he did. What WONDERFUL news that would be.

Roland touched the lives of many, many people in a most positive way through his gracious giving and sharing of knowledge about knives. He has left his legacy among the thousands of pages of this forum, along with many personal friends. I never had any personal dealings with Roland, but I learned a lot from his writings and knowledge base about knives.

May his family and loved ones continue to be provided strength and comfort through God's Grace during this time.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
RobesonsRme.com

And if Roland did have a salvation experience, there is no telling what effect that might have on his extended family.

God works in wondrous ways.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Based on his recent posts re’ Roland, I think Best Gear might be able to respond to this.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
just bob

Post by just bob »

Still not having any luck finding Roland's obituary online. Has anyone else been able to find it?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Bob,

I too searched for over an hour looking for an obit on Roland. I searched the British Columbia / Vancouver listings, Canadian listings, his name, etc., but came up empty. Their is a possibility that his family didn't submit one (yet?) or maybe Roland didn't want one. ::shrug:: I know some U.S. states make it mandatory that an obit is publicly submitted, but not sure what Canada's protocols are. If there 'is' an obit on Roland, I would enjoy reading it too.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

He was a good man.
Лека му пръст!
EWMailman

Post by EWMailman »

I have been away too long. What sad news.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:27 pm Bob,

I too searched for over an hour looking for an obit on Roland. I searched the British Columbia / Vancouver listings, Canadian listings, his name, etc., but came up empty. Their is a possibility that his family didn't submit one (yet?) or maybe Roland didn't want one. ::shrug:: I know some U.S. states make it mandatory that an obit is publicly submitted, but not sure what Canada's protocols are. If there 'is' an obit on Roland, I would enjoy reading it too.
There is no law in Canada requiring that an obituary or death notice be publicly published. I have not been able to find one for him either.

Roland helped me to acquire quite a few of my nicer knives. Having a Canadian mailing address, there are many knives that ebay would not allow me to bid on. Roland would bid for me and have them shipped to his Washington post office box. He would then forward them on to me.

I had a brief visit with Roland at his home in early June. He was good that day, but, did not expect to be around for much longer. As has been stated many times, he will be greatly missed by many.
Dan
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

Dan, Thank you matey for the update, and for being such a good friend to Roland.

I too have had many dealings with Roland, I wished I was closer to him geographically, if so I would have visited often, but we talked over the phone quite a lot and e-mailed, and I did buy many of his knives.

Roland- as everyone will read or hear about - always was very caring about the sale of his knives that the buyer was happy, he often did bulk deals which were always too generous so I refused to pay him the amount he was asking - and always pay him more by a good amount - when he received the money he would tell me off - but nicely :) .

Roland was so nice I feared people would take advantage of his caring nature, I have revisited his e-mails which I have in a folder and miss him when I read his expressions of friendship- of which I suspect many of you have heard or read from our friend Roland.

Both Neal and I made sure Roland has his name mentioned in the Sears article in Knife Mag. I think if things keep going with any mentions of Sears Knives- or any other Knives I have from Roland, The dedication to this lovely fellow will always be mentioned.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Campbellclanman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:59 am Dan, Thank you matey for the update, and for being such a good friend to Roland.

I too have had many dealings with Roland, I wished I was closer to him geographically, if so I would have visited often, but we talked over the phone quite a lot and e-mailed, and I did buy many of his knives.

Roland- as everyone will read or hear about - always was very caring about the sale of his knives that the buyer was happy, he often did bulk deals which were always too generous so I refused to pay him the amount he was asking - and always pay him more by a good amount - when he received the money he would tell me off - but nicely :) .

Roland was so nice I feared people would take advantage of his caring nature, I have revisited his e-mails which I have in a folder and miss him when I read his expressions of friendship- of which I suspect many of you have heard or read from our friend Roland.

Both Neal and I made sure Roland has his name mentioned in the Sears article in Knife Mag. I think if things keep going with any mentions of Sears Knives- or any other Knives I have from Roland, The dedication to this lovely fellow will always be mentioned.
I had many dealings with Roland and he always went out of his way to make sure I was satisfied with my purchases from him. I was also concerned about the prices that he sold many knives for. I offered to help him set up a store and I offered to sell knives for him. When I couldn’t get him to do either I would buy knives from him and then sell them and send him back half the profit. He always objected to my doing this since he got the price he asked for when he sold it. But I thought this was only fair to him. Sometimes I didn’t get enough profit to send him anything back. He never kept track of these or asked me what I sold them for, although other people did. I caught flack for a few of these sales but Roland and I kept this arrangement between the two of us. He figured it wasn’t anyone else’s business and didn’t feel the need to respond and neither did I. My concern was with how generous he was when he priced a knife for sale. He always told me that he didn’t expect to make a profit and counted on taking a loss, but that wasn’t the real world situation when it came to GEC knives. It took awhile but he finally started pricing these more in line with the market. He would often send me a picture of a knife or knives and ask my opinion on the price to put on them. I was glad to see him getting the full benefit of the knives he sold, especially the GEC knives.
I wish I had kept all the emails I had from him over the years. I only have the last 6 months or so. I had so many and we talked about everything from knives to our kids and our health issues, that I had deleted many of them back just late last year. We exchanged a lot of emails last year in September when I had covid. He was very curious about the procedures and treatments we used here in the States, it was so different from what they did in Canada. One area we could not talk about was politics. He was the polar opposite of my views. So we simply didn’t’ engage on the issues and we didn’t talk on the forums to each other about these things. I think neither one of us wanted to jeopardize our friendship over politics and I think that was the reason we stayed friends for so long. He was a great guy to get to know and I will continue to miss him.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

715AFD36-1F49-4AD1-9D9B-A913ADE0B835.jpeg
715AFD36-1F49-4AD1-9D9B-A913ADE0B835.jpeg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Found this today using Google: https://www.thompsonfs.ca/obituary/roland-procter/

Roland was born on October 8, 1946, in England and died on September 8, 2022, in the Kootenay Lake Hospital (Nelson, BC) after several weeks of tender care by his children in his Nelson home.

Roland was raised in Montreal after moving with his family as an infant from England. He first visited the Kootenays in 1967 as a geology student. He thereafter decided on a medical degree at McGill University despite his mother’s warning that his change of heart was likely due to sun stroke (a story he told fondly). After a residency in the St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, he returned to the Kootenays as a GP, opening a medical clinic in Riondel in 1974. Married in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, in 1976, Roland returned to the Kootenays in the early 1980s, and practiced as an anesthetist at the Trail Regional Hospital. He raised four children, in homes in Rossland, Johnson’s Landing, and Nelson. Roland spent his vigorous years working, gardening, hunting, skiing, and mountain biking. He spent his retired years tending to his beloved homestead in Johnson’s Landing, walking his dogs, and collecting pocket knives and Pendleton wool shirts. Roland will be remembered by the Kootenay families he served as a doctor and his many friends and acquaintances from Rossland to the north end of Kootenay Lake and all points in between.

Roland is survived by his four children (with partners) Amanda (Cyrille), Jamie (Ashleigh), Emily (Martin), and Isabella; three grandchildren Selina, Simone, and Nicklas; ex-wife Georgia; and sister Penny (Kelly).

We thank the Interior Health palliative care team (Nelson), the doctors and nurses at KLH, the Nelson Care Aid programme, Nelson End of Life Society, Dr. Kyle Merritt, Dr. Ralph Behrens (retired), Maureen Lewis and many other friends who lent a helping hand during the final months of Roland’s life. The family also extends its gratitude to the Thompson Funeral Service for their assistance.

His children intend to organize a celebration of life in the Kootenay Lake area in 2023. Family and friends will be informed and asked to spread the word

Oh how I miss his questions……
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thank you so much for posting that, it gives you a lot of insight into the life Roland lived.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

fantastic post to a man who had a rich and full filling life. ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thank you Tom this is much appreciated.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Thank you, Tom, for posting this. For me, at least, it adds a bit of closure. I'll miss Roland too.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Tom. He loved the knife community, and misjudged by many.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Who knew about the Pendleton wool shirts, he was a man of intrigue and passion, I wish we had met much earlier in life but it was not to be, the memories are all fond and fresh…..
Tom
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thanks for finding this Tom, kinda brings things full circle. Roland did live a rich and full life!
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

glennbad wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:10 pm…… kinda brings things full circle
From the day we arrive on the planet
And, blinking, step into the sun
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to do than can ever be done
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But the sun rolling high
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round

It's the circle of life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
'Til we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the circle
The circle of life

Disney’s The Lion King
Tom
AAPK Administrator

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice, Tom; very apropos.

Here's a saying that often comes to my mind after the passing of an acquaintance:

They are not dead who live in the hearts they leave behind.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

bestgear wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:21 pm Who knew about the Pendleton wool shirts, he was a man of intrigue and passion, I wish we had met much earlier in life but it was not to be, the memories are all fond and fresh…..
Thanks for the update Tom .
Roland was a unique man and very willing to share . He has left many good memories .
JP
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

Hi everyone, and to Tom a massive thank you for posting that update.

I really miss that guy, I enjoyed our conversations greatly, they go through my thoughts all the time!

I hope his children are coping ok!

:)

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”