ROLAND UPDATE

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
Campbellclanman

Re: ROLAND UPDATE

Post by Campbellclanman »

Hi everyone

As mentioned, it is nice to see Rolands Knife friends coming and saying such nice things about him.

I'm a little weary of e-mailing Roland as last time I did - it must be a week or nearly a couple of weeks ago- then it was a toll for Roland to answer - so to burden him even more so is not what I want for him.

Has anyone heard anything at all? I know that Home care were visiting him, I just wish for Roland to have comfort and peace,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

We are all still praying for you Roland.
I pray God's blessing and peace for you.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Any updates on how Roland is doing?
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Campbellclanman

I too have been wanting to post and ask the same question.

I had my last Phone call with Roland and we said goodbye- so I "pushed it" and e-mailed him-soon after - it was just so hard to stop having contact with a friend.... So he replied twice as we communicated- but in his last he said that he would cease e-mail contact now too as it was so much effort.

I di email him in the hope his daughter would open them and read e-mails to him, It was a e-mail to say that I wished him all the comfort, and to please not answer as I just wanted him to know that I was thinking of him daily, there has been no reply to this - which was possibly a fortnight ago :cry:

The last time I did talk to Roland he was wanting things to speed up for the discomfort to end, I wish I was so much closer to Roland to help him out- especially when he was dealing with health issues at some stages.

I will miss Roland dearly, I don't know if Roland has left us yet, but I do miss him already.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thank you for this update, Mr. Campbell...it is appreciated.

It appears now, all we can do is pray that Roland has, or will, listen to the Spirit of the Lord and place his trust in Christ's Salvation. Only God knows his heart, but I also know that many hear have talked with Roland about his eternal life.

I'll continue to pray for Roland's comfort and mercy from the Lord.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

AMEN brother.

Thanks for the update....
We will all watch and pray.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Charlie Campagna posted this on BF and with his permission I post it here.

“A lot of people have a knife once owned by Roland!! He was a great, one of a kind, collector, and a friend!!! Joanne and I went to visit him, and took him out to dinner a few years ago, and really enjoyed his company!! A bright, outspoken man!!
He got booted from Bladeforums, several years ago for being so outspoken, though honestly so!!
He should have been a politician!! Definitely would get my vote!!
He hasn't been well! I checked in with his daughter today and he's in a palliative situation!!
He's comfortable, and the nurses are taking good care of him!!
Wish I could drop in, but it's not possible for me right now!
He's got Family all over the globe, and he’s well taken care of!
I wish you Joy in your last days, Dr. Roland!!!”

“He got to meet some of his grandchildren for the first time a couple of weeks ago, from across the sea!! It took a lot out of him physically though!! I managed to talk to him after, and he got immense joy from being with this new generation, and, with his own successful children!! They work for the betterment of the world in Europe and Africa!”
Lloyd
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thank you Lloyd for posting that. I pray for him daily and just wish I knew how he is doing. He is a great guy.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for that Lloyd!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Thank you Lloyd, prayers lifted for our brother Roland that he may find comfort and peace

Randy
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

E626A1C5-9F4A-4A4F-AF0E-5E1F9FFEE4EB.jpeg
Saw this on Bladeforums, Godspeed Roland
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Heaven gained one hell of knife aficionado today - I will cherish the day we meet in Heaven and enjoy all of eternity together - Godspeed my friend, I will miss our marathon International calls ::pray:: until we meet again
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

A wonderful man who greatly enriched our group. I don't believe I ever received a purchase from him that did not have "a little something extra" in the package. He introduced me to CF Kayser knives and sold me my first one. Every time I see that tang stamp I think of Roland.

Dennis
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

May the Lord receive him with open arms and may the Holy Spirit comfort the family and friends that knew and loved him.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Prayers and condolences to Roland's family and loved ones. May the Lord provide them with strength and peace during this time of grief. He will be missed by so many of us 'knifer brothers'.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Roland was the first friend I made on AAPK. I am sad beyond words.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Campbellclanman

I am going to miss Roland terribly.
I will miss our Phone chats and our emails.

Way too young to leave us Roland. I will miss you my friend.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:23 pm May the Lord receive him with open arms and may the Holy Spirit comfort the family and friends that knew and loved him.
AMEN!

Lord, please bless this family.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I've been checking in a couple of times a day for updates on Roland. I guess I knew this was inevitable, still it is a very sad day. A while back I was in an old cemetery researching my ancestry and ran across an inscription on a tombstone that said " Dum Tacit Clamat" I came back home and looked it up to find it means something like - though silent he speaks. Inferring that the influence of a man lives on after his last breath. That is how I'll remember Roland. In dealing with Roland, I did learn the meaning of the word serendipity because he always gave me something more than I expected. Any purchase I made from him always included extras that he had added as a bonus or a way of saying thank you for your order. No matter is it was a collector's knife or an EDC, Roland took the time to package it with care to make sure it wasn't damaged in transit. In a small way I will try and carry on the traditions I have learned from Roland. The world would be a much better place if we all took time to remember that our influence does not end with our last breath and those, we come in contact with will have memories of us. Though they may be good or bad.
As an aside I have been looking for Roland's obituary online and am not having any luck at all. I see above that someone has posted his name as Roland Procter. I thought it was Roland Proctor. Maybe Roland wasn't his given name? If anyone is able to find that please post a link to it. I would enjoy reading it.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Roland, rest in peace my friend.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

just bob wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:25 pm I've been checking in a couple of times a day for updates on Roland. I guess I knew this was inevitable, still it is a very sad day. A while back I was in an old cemetery researching my ancestry and ran across an inscription on a tombstone that said " Dum Tacit Clamat" I came back home and looked it up to find it means something like - though silent he speaks. Inferring that the influence of a man lives on after his last breath. That is how I'll remember Roland. In dealing with Roland, I did learn the meaning of the word serendipity because he always gave me something more than I expected. Any purchase I made from him always included extras that he had added as a bonus or a way of saying thank you for your order. No matter is it was a collector's knife or an EDC, Roland took the time to package it with care to make sure it wasn't damaged in transit. In a small way I will try and carry on the traditions I have learned from Roland. The world would be a much better place if we all took time to remember that our influence does not end with our last breath and those, we come in contact with will have memories of us. Though they may be good or bad.
As an aside I have been looking for Roland's obituary online and am not having any luck at all. I see above that someone has posted his name as Roland Procter. I thought it was Roland Proctor. Maybe Roland wasn't his given name? If anyone is able to find that please post a link to it. I would enjoy reading it.
Bob, it is Procter. I made that mistake years ago looking up old emails from him and whenever I sent him money through PayPal.
Very nice post. I like that Latin phrase and it’s a fitting tribute to Roland.
Campbellclanman

That is correct, I might be as guilty as everyone - quoting Roland's last name with the Proctor or Procter - with the English language I guess it may be easier to automatically go for the following E - I'm not too sure :(

Roland's e-mail spelt his name as Procter

Its so nice to see friends coming in and speaking so nicely of Roland, he shared many stories with me, and the way he valued our friendship and how he expressed this was quite amazing- as I guess he did with you his other good friends as well.

I feel terribly sad right now reflecting over many conversations, our lengthy conversations on Health, and of course stories with his gorgeous House he had at Kooteny Lake.

There's so many things I want to say about our conversations, having those will be nice to reflect on later.

Roland definitely was a good man.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

There is a Dr. Roland Procter, MD.in Nelson, BC listed on the internet. I did business with him one time and my records show Procter as the spelling.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

Dr. Roland Procter was a very kind and knowledgeable man. He was always quick to offer help. I will always cherish the knives I got from him as I remember him fondly.

I've known him as a fellow Schrade collector (and BC resident back then) since 2009. His legacy of posts here on aapk and bladeforums will continue to educate future knife collectors.

RIP Dr. Roland.
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

One measure of the influence Roland had here is how prolific he was with his postings. He graced these pages for about 6.5 years and had well over 13,000 posts, averaging more than 5 posts a day. And most of those conveyed his deep knowledge of knives or asked thoughtful questions. What a great resource he was… and is, because his wisdom still resides here in these pages.

A perfect example of what just bob said above, “Dum Tacit Clamat.”

Dennis

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”