Care giver for my Mom

There are times in each of our lives that rain falls, hard times come and it helps to reach out to our friends and to our God for a little support. This is the place to express those needs, concerns and situations so others in the AAPK family can keep you in their prayers.
Nev52

Care giver for my Mom

Post by Nev52 »

Hi members,
Just wanted to let you all know why I have not been on line lately. We finally moved into our house after living in our barn for the last 2 years. Now I moved my Mom into the apartment in the barn so I can take care of her. She just turned 94 in February and is starting to get mixed up and forgetful. I thank God she still is very self sufficient but I could not leave her drive anymore so I made the decision to move her to Pennsylvania with my wife and I. So I have been driving back to Maryland 118 miles to take care of her home and property. My son has been helping which is a big load off me My Sister died 7 years ago so it just leaves him and I to take care of things. I am not complaining I thank God everyday for my mother. Just my time is limited.
Just wanted to give a update. Also some prayers would help.
Thank you.

Rod ( Nev 52)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Care giver for my Mom

Post by treefarmer »

You'll never regret doing what you are doing!
God bless you and those helping your mother in her declining days.
We had my mother with us for 7 years, it was a very special time shared by our family.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Good on you Rod. Much respect!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

My prayers for you and your mom Rod!
My dad is 93 and he's getting forgetful too. My niece and family live on the property with him and he is using the little apartment just about 20 feet from her house. She close enough to cook for him and check on him several times a day. I live about 2 hours away so it's difficult for me to be much help, especially since I'm the caregiver for my wife as she is recovering from chemotherapy.
Being a caregiver is very time consuming, but what an awesome way to honor your mother!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

God bless you Rod.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
MadeinUSA

Post by MadeinUSA »

It’s an honor to be called to help care for our parents. Glad she is now close to you and I pray God will bless her, you and family with His strength, peace, mercy, hope and joy.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Rod, you are doing absolutely the right thing by taking care of your mother. I'm sure that she appreciates what you are doing. It sounds like you are doing a terrific job coping, and you will never regret this. I went through a similar period of time years ago taking care of my father who was dying a very long, slow death from bone cancer. We had two young children at the time, I had a very demanding job, and the commute to visit him at least weekly was 113 miles each way on I95. There were many times that I thought I wasn't going to be able to continue. Just when things were getting the most difficult, he passed on. Just remember keep your priorities straight, take it one day at a time and stay strong. ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I'm sure your mother really appreciates everything you are doing for her.

When you look back years from now, you can take comfort that you were there for her.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

God bless you my brother!
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Rod, Thank you for sharing . As the guys have stated you’re doing what is right . Prayers for you and your Son for the strength to get thru this . My Wife and I were just talking about our parents and how all 4 , now in their 80 s are doing well but it’s catching up with them. Your post have given us the insight and thoughts now as to what some go thru for their parents . Mom and I aren’t close by any means but we will be there for her and the other parents when the time comes .
You take care of yourself . Thanks for stopping by and updating us. ::handshake::
JP
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Rod you are a great human being.

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Thank you for letting us know, Rod.
I know that you enjoy being on AAPK, but taking care of your Mom is so much more important.
Keep on doing the right thing, you won't regret it.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Sending prayers for you all, it's not easy but it's rewarding in it's way, luckily my folks lived next door and we were able to take care of them and they never had to leave their home. God bless. ::pray:: ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

As you perform this great and charitable work I know the Lord will sustain you with his grace.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you all for your kind words , prayers and encouragement. ::handshake::

Rod (Nev 52)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Rod I pray God will help you through all you are dealing with. He will strengthen and sustain you.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you all again for your prayers.. My Mom has started to settle in now. Not asking about going back to her home. She is doing well physically. But mentally she is slipping. I am glad I have this time to be with her, but it is also a sad time. Just wanted to give an update. I will try to post more and get back to some knife repair. I find it relaxing .

Rod {Nev52}
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sorry for you Rod. A very difficult time.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Prayers continuing for your mom and you Rod.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Prayers sent.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you all again for your kind words and prayers.

Rod {NEV 52}
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank you all for your prayers! My mom has started to settle in. She can still take care of her personal care. I cook her breakfast and for dinner she comes over and eats with us. It's nice to have the apartment in the barn so she has her privacy and is close so I can check on her during the day. I do see a cognitive decline in her. The doctor said she is borderline dementia. But for 94 she is doing pretty good. Another sad note my mother-in-law just passed last month very stressful time for my wife and me. We were back and forth to Maryland 4 times a week for the last month before she passed. With the driving of 140 miles one way and then getting back to take of my mom we were both worn out. But what is family for. I am not complaining just letting everyone know. I thank God every day for the strength to take care of my mom. We never know how we are going out of this world.

Thank you all for the prayers and listening to my posts.

Rod ( Nev 52]
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Nev52 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:01 am Hi members,
Just wanted to let you all know why I have not been on line lately. We finally moved into our house after living in our barn for the last 2 years. Now I moved my Mom into the apartment in the barn so I can take care of her. She just turned 94 in February and is starting to get mixed up and forgetful. I thank God she still is very self sufficient but I could not leave her drive anymore so I made the decision to move her to Pennsylvania with my wife and I. So I have been driving back to Maryland 118 miles to take care of her home and property. My son has been helping which is a big load off me My Sister died 7 years ago so it just leaves him and I to take care of things. I am not complaining I thank God everyday for my mother. Just my time is limited.
Just wanted to give a update. Also some prayers would help.
Thank you.

Rod ( Nev 52)
Rod, you'll never regret taking care of your dear mother. Speaking from experience, it gets tough at times but with the Lord's help you, your wife and son will get through this special time. A great example for younger folks watching your response to this issue.
It's difficult to switch roles but that's what has happened.
God bless you as you as you do this special act of love. Prayer from our camp for you.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Rod, in caring for your mom you are caring for Christ within her. I pray that you will continue to be blessed with the understanding and strength to look after your mom.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:46 pm Rod, in caring for your mom you are caring for Christ within her. I pray that you will continue to be blessed with the understanding and strength to look after your mom.
Amen

Return to “The Upper Room Forum”