Have you seen this bolster?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Treejakal

Have you seen this bolster?

Post by Treejakal »

Have you seen this bolster on a Fight'n Rooster? It is not engraved, it must have been applied. Any info; was it a series? age?
Attachments
20190309_165324.jpg
Steve Warden

Re: Have you seen this bolster?

Post by Steve Warden »

No idea, but I like 'em!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Treejakal wrote:Have you seen this bolster on a Fight'n Rooster? It is not engraved, it must have been applied. Any info; was it a series? age?
Hello again Treejakal;
I do have some information for you on your Stockman.

As for dating your Rooster;
You will have to observe both sides of your master blade, than you will be able to narrow the mfg. date within a few years by looking up my below post. If you have difficulty dissecting my below "viewtopic post", just post a picture of the blade reverse and I will help.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=56645
IMG_0001 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (1) 1.JPG
A picture is located on page #203 (second from bottom knife) in the above pictured book published in 1994.
The fancy bolster, stag handle and small production (Only 15 made) are the reasons the value is quite large. ($250.00 in 1994-95)
Frank Buster made very few Roosters with Fancy scrolled bolsters. Actually, yours is the first I have ever seen other than in a book.
The vast majority of Scrolled Bolsters were only made for his Exhibition and Display knives, many of which are in the $1,000.00 plus range.
You are fortunate to have this rare Beautiful Stag Stockman. For me....It would be a keeper. ::nod::
Thanks for sharing it.
img008.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dan it appears to me that in the photo posted just above, the bottom knife with the celluloid handles appears to show signs of outgassing based on the browning of the bolsters and shield. ::dang::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

philco wrote:Dan it appears to me that in the photo posted just above, the bottom knife with the celluloid handles appears to show signs of outgassing based on the browning of the bolsters and shield. ::dang::
I believe you are correct.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Thank you Old Folder for your research.
That is the more info than I expected. I have always been attracted to this knife. 1 of 15 made is pretty rare to me.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

philco wrote:Dan it appears to me that in the photo posted just above, the bottom knife with the celluloid handles appears to show signs of outgassing based on the browning of the bolsters and shield. ::dang::
Good eye Phil. ::nod::
There are over 1,800 Rooster Knife pictures within the above book. Most are clean and presentable, however many were not cleaned prior to the process of photography.
To you and I and many members/collectors of knives these stick out like a sore thumb. You would think that throughout the entire process of publishing a fine book that someone would have seen the obvious need of proper cleaning and presentation prior to the photography process.
The book has many celluloid handled knives that have the obvious out-gassing problem. However, none of the knives would have taken more then a few minutes to clean and correct for a more presentable and beautiful book.
Below are a couple more terrible pictures of out-gassing from the book.
IMG_0001 (1).JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Treejakal wrote:Thank you Old Folder for your research.
That is the more info than I expected. I have always been attracted to this knife. 1 of 15 made is pretty rare to me.
You are very welcome. ::tu::
I love researching Roosters.
Dan

Return to “European-made knives”