Wedge

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Ridgegrass

Wedge

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'm not a razor "collector" but if I see an American-made one I'll generally pick it up. Found this KINFOLKS "Wedge" in Snow Hill, MD last week, It's plain but in very nice shape. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4437 (2).jpg
IMG_4439.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wedge

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice find, J.O'. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice marque! ::tu:: I am hoping to learn something here; my impression is that almost all American razors were imported from England and Germany?
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

I have Robeson, Union (Spike), Kinfolks, and Cattaraugus. None with any foreign marks. I assume they're made in U.S.A. ? J.O'.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

IMG_2353.png
IMG_2354.png
tongueriver wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 pm Nice marque! ::tu:: I am hoping to learn something here; my impression is that almost all American razors were imported from England and Germany?
here us a case made in u.s.a. That us 4 sale on e-bay today .I have a couple western states .no country of origin so they may be made in America.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

tongueriver wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 pm Nice marque! ::tu:: I am hoping to learn something here; my impression is that almost all American razors were imported from England and Germany?
Late 18th until late 19th century, England had the cutlery market pretty well to themselves and exported their wares worldwide.
In the 1890s, the Germans developed a easy to mass produce what was to become the "full hollow" grind. That grind became the rage for razors. The blades were lighter than the previous half and quarter hollow grinds that had been in use and we're generally hand ground.
Early 20th C there were tons of razors imported to the US by Germany between the wars. The Solingen houses sold world wide and would happily put any name on the tang that the customer ordered. Their razors were well made and inexpensive.
Meanwhile, pretty much all the US cutlery houses were also making quality razors to compete with the flood from Germany.
So, yes there were a lot of imported German blades, but the US industry competed handily with them.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”