Case xx razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Tom's Classy Cases

Case xx razor

Post by Tom's Classy Cases »

This is my first post, I have a Case Straight Razor dated 1912 and I can find nothing about it. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
20200507_133532.jpg
20200507_133559.jpg
20200507_133422.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Case xx razor

Post by Gunsil »

I think the 1912 is the model number, not a date. Handle is "slick black" celluloid. The fancy razors by W R Case & Sons fetch good money in mint condition, used slick black ones not so much. Could well have been made into the 1940s. They are cool old items of cutlery for sure.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Get that baby sharpened up and use it!

And welcome to AAPK!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

Tom's Classy Cases wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm This is my first post, I have a Case Straight Razor dated 1912 and I can find nothing about it. Can someone help me out? Thanks.20200507_133532.jpg20200507_133559.jpg20200507_133422.jpg
Hey, the following wall of text is just a word of warning, since your knifes handle is made of celluloid. Celluloid is a highly flammable unstable form of plastic. Since the handle is made of celluloid store it away from other knives (Including other celluloid knives) celluloid is known to deteriorate. This process is called outgassing, and it releases a gas that causes that knife and any other metal near it to rust. There are warning signs to see if a knife is in the process of outgassing though. Discoloration of the celluloid, tarnishing of the pins, bolsters, and blades, and shrinkage of the celluloid are some of the things to look out for. Once the process starts it can not be stopped. The only thing you can do is to take the celluloid off the knife once it starts outgassing. Keep the knife out of sunlight, and away from heat to lower the risk of it outgassing. Look up celluloid outgassing for more information. As far as flammability goes, do not expose the celluloid to intense heat.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

MechanicalBear wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 pm
Tom's Classy Cases wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm This is my first post, I have a Case Straight Razor dated 1912 and I can find nothing about it. Can someone help me out? Thanks.20200507_133532.jpg20200507_133559.jpg20200507_133422.jpg
Hey, the following wall of text is just a word of warning, since your knifes handle is made of celluloid. Celluloid is a highly flammable unstable form of plastic. Since the handle is made of celluloid store it away from other knives (Including other celluloid knives) celluloid is known to deteriorate. This process is called outgassing, and it releases a gas that causes that knife and any other metal near it to rust. There are warning signs to see if a knife is in the process of outgassing though. Discoloration of the celluloid, tarnishing of the pins, bolsters, and blades, and shrinkage of the celluloid are some of the things to look out for. Once the process starts it can not be stopped. The only thing you can do is to take the celluloid off the knife once it starts outgassing. Keep the knife out of sunlight, and away from heat to lower the risk of it outgassing. Look up celluloid outgassing for more information. As far as flammability goes, do not expose the celluloid to intense heat.
If celluloid is pulled away, sort of curling up from the bolster lining is it automatically out gassing? If not can you glue it back into place? What years would say it was used the most as a handle material?
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:55 pm
If celluloid is pulled away, sort of curling up from the bolster lining is it automatically outgassing? If not can you glue it back into place? What years would say it was used the most as a handle material?
I'm not completely sure if it automatically means it's outgassing or not, I will look into it though. As far as being glued back into place goes, no it cannot be glued back if the material has shrunk it will no longer be able to cover all it originally did. One last thing, as far as your last question goes, I have researched the years it was used as a handle material, and when it was used most as a handle material. As far as I can tell the following info is correct. I am not completely sure though since there isn't too much info about the years they produced celluloid online. Celluloid was invented in the mid-1800s. As far as American made knives go it was used as a handle material from then until sometime in the 1950s. I'm not sure when non-American companies stopped using celluloid. I think American companies used celluloid for knife handles the most between the late 1800s to sometime in the 1950s. I yet again am not sure about non-American brands. Then at some point, American companies brought it back. I don't think I have found any example of knives with celluloid handles American-made or not that were made past the 1990s.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

MechanicalBear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm
the years they produced celluloid online. Celluloid was invented in the mid-1800s, it was used as a handle material from then until sometime in the 1950s. I think it was used the most between 1940 and 1950. Then at some point, they brought it back. I don't think I have found any example of knives with celluloid handles that were made past the 1990s.
Thanks! I have some knives from the 20's and 30's that might be celluloid, I need to check and see if that is the material. I put a knife in "Evapo-Rust" a year ago and it ate away and destroyed the handle/scales, I am thinking it might have been celluloid.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:11 pm
MechanicalBear wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks! I have some knives from the 20's and 30's that might be celluloid, I need to check and see if that is the material. I put a knife in "Evapo-Rust" a year ago and it ate away and destroyed the handle/scales, I am thinking it might have been celluloid.
Hey, I have done some more research and it seems celluloid was a popular handle material for knives from the late 1800s to 1950. I will update my previous post to reflect this. I am also wondering if only US companies stopped using celluloid sometime in the 1950s. I will also update my post to reflect that. Also, there is no need to thank me. I'm happy to help :D.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

::tu:: I am always glade to learn new things on this site. ::tu::

MechanicalBear

Post by MechanicalBear »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:48 am ::tu:: I am always glade to learn new things on this site. ::tu::
I am too :D. I have learned a lot from my short time on this site. I am excited to see what else I will learn ::ds::.
Tom's Classy Cases

Post by Tom's Classy Cases »

Thank you all for your input.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

All “french pearl” and celluloid knives from 70 years at least made by Cattaraugus and not a bad one in the bunch.
Attachments
CDA9AD81-A2F6-4C2F-BEEF-B24555791ECA.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The handles of the razor may not be original as the pivot pin looks to have been replaced and is not correct for a W.R. Case razor. I believe the handles are slick black plastic and not celluloid. If actually celluloid I wouldn't worry about them outgassing since dark celluloids seem to be the most stable.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jacknifeben wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:33 pm All “french pearl” and celluloid knives from 70 years at least made by Cattaraugus and not a bad one in the bunch.
Very knice. ::nod::

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”