An unusual I*XL razor........

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

An unusual I*XL razor........

Post by knife7knut »

Got this one today for $5.00 and half a box.Black horn scales chipped.What struck me was the unusual stamping and the style of blade.Looks loke the blade is a thin piece of steel fitted to a thicker oval spine.Anyone ever seen this stamping and blade type on an English razor before?.I have a couple Swedish razors that use this construction and possibly an old Mappin& Webb(have to dig them out).Here are a couple of pics. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IXLRazor1.jpg
IXLRazor2.jpg
IXLRazor3.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Iron Hoarder

Re: An unusual I*XL razor........

Post by Iron Hoarder »

Definitely an unusual one for them. I've looked through a few hundred English razors so far and never seen one like that.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
Owd Wullie

Re: An unusual I*XL razor........

Post by Owd Wullie »

Called a "frame back".

That particular model is known as "The Improved Swiss" razor.

Have seen a picture of one with "The Extraordinary Quality of Geo Wostenholm & Son's, Doubly Carbonized I-XL razors has the rendered The Universally Celebrated." etched on the blade.

The Swedes produced a lot of frame backs as have the Japanese.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”