OK. So how Does One Get A Razor "Shave Ready"?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: OK. So how Does One Get A Razor "Shave Ready"?

Post by carvin don »

Owd Wullie wrote:That "barber/actor" didn't know jack schitt about stropping a razor either. ::disgust:: :lol:

Willie,

To execute the "Barber Roll" on a strop, do you make certain the razor never leaves the strop?

I strop my carving knives on a piece of pigskin, with compound, and will often strop without the blade leaving the strop ... (go one side up, then roll the blade over w/o picking the blade off the strop, then back down, all the while maintaing the correct bevel angle of the knife) to ensure there is no "rounding" of the edge. I have heard this technique referred to as the "Barber Roll?" Don't know if that's true or not?

That feller/barber/actor, strops like they all do in the movies, quick and haphazardly, surely rounding those fragile edges? I know nothing about honing/maintaing a straight razor, but have rounded a few edges in the past through poor/over stropping techniques.

I'm enjoyin' the razor conversations here ... just may have to break a few of mine out...
Don
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Mastro Livi is an Italian razor maker. His blades are in high demand by those that like the high dollar custom razors.

He strops like a wild man!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBXOP9tGqZs[/youtube]

On the other hand the lady at Dovo is more old fashioned. Skip to the around the 4:00 mark
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACJrAI3SxM[/youtube]

I never lift the spine off the strop myself. I can't roll the razor between my thumb and forefinger due to my arthritis but I can roll the razor with my wrist. I can make the blade pop the strop when I flip it if I want to. Took me a while to get any speed up but I haven't sliced my strop. YET that is. LOL

I guess whatever works the best for you so you don't slice up your strop and screw up your edge.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

Thanks for the videos, Willie ... I guess you can strop like a wild man with those razors, as long as you know what you're doin'!

I'm definitely a slow stropper, and also use my wrist to roll the blade. Like you said, whatever method works best for you, is the one to use. Thanks again, Willie.
Don
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I think the most important thing to remember is to roll the blade over on its spine, and not its edge. I'm just learning, but I do know how easily you can wreck the edge by being careless. ::facepalm::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

Gunstock Jack wrote:I think the most important thing to remember is to roll the blade over on its spine, and not its edge.

:lol: Yessir, Barry ... I never roll on the edge ... Always on the spine! I should have been more specific :lol: That'd be a quick way to a dull blade and gouged strop fer sure!
Don

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”