ANd Charlie's winners are.

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Owd Wullie

ANd Charlie's winners are.

Post by Owd Wullie »

In no particular order;

The 6/8 full hollow Taylor's and the 5/8 full hollow PRESIDENT DELUX from Solingen.

I had high hopes for the littel Dobie from Glasgow, but rustworms got the edge worse than I thought. It'll shave and shave nicely but it has a few very small gaps here and there and it snags a bit. Takes a bit too much work to get it running right so it won't work for a starter. :(

I was hoping to send a heavier grind for you to try, but all my wedges/quarter hollows have either French, hollow, or square points. If you like shaving with one of these you can try the different point styles at your leisure. ;)

BOTH of them are round points. ::nod:: ::tounge::

Both are 20th Century production. I figure the little Solingen was probably made in the 50's and the Taylor's in the 20's or 30's.

Charlie, send me your address again.

I'll get 'em on the pony express. :mrgreen:
W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: ANd Charlie's winners are.

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Those are nice Willie. You might not get them back!!
CNoyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I can't think of a better home for 'em. ;)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
RobesonsRme.com

Tell me, how do I keep the razors from rusting? They're going to get wet. Do I just wipe them dry or do they need a bit of mineral oil after each shave?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

What I do with mine, and it hasn't failed me yet is, keep the hinge pin area dry. When you finish shaving, I run the hottest water the tap will run and hold the blade under it for a maybe 5 seconds. I then dry the remaining water droplets off with towel. I put the razor in a safe place outside the bathroom with the blade open a bit. Not completely folded shut. I then close it up the next morning or evening if I think about it.

Have yet to rust one.

If it's a razor I know I'll never use, I'll put some mineral oil on it. Biggest part of not rusting one is to keep the hinge dry and let the scales dry before you close it. I've got 15 or so laying around here and there that I rotate for shaving. None of them are oiled.

:)
RobesonsRme.com

Razors arrived yesterday.

Beautiful!

Now, to get up enough nerve to shave with one.

Going out on Ops in Viet Nam was easier than this. (kidding, not really)

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Start with your cheeks for a few days. It'll start feeling more comfortable after a bit, then try the chin or the neck. First thing you know, you'll either be ready to send 'em back or you'll be enjoying yourself shaving with a straight. ::tounge::

Take your time.
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

[quote="RobesonsRme.com"]Tell me, how do I keep the razors from rusting?

Renwax will help protect the steel as well, and you don't have to wipe it off before using the razor.

My chin is where I have the most trouble. Steady as she goes, Charlie, and if it doesn't feel right, STOP! Keep the blade at a 30 degree angle or less and take short strokes. I've shaved with a blade all my life, and the feeling is similar when you get it right. I'm still not good enough to try shaving against the grain too much, but find it necessary in certain areas. You'll also need to learn to use your weak hand for the sideburn/cheek area on that side. ::hmm:: Don't get in a hurry.

Been usin' a straight for over a week now, and I haven't slit my throat yet! ::pray:: I've found that I enjoy shaving again! ::super_happy::
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
RobesonsRme.com

Well, I took the full plunge this AM.

I prepped with hot water and witch-hazel, then lathered with some English shaving soap by Trufitt & Hill, called "Grafton".

I used the big, old Taylor's Eyewitness.

I shaved my entire face. I only nicked myself once, on the left hand corner of my mouth, but not badly. It hardly bled a drop.

I found the razor to be a bit "grabby".

It was awkward, especially shaving my left, off-hand side.

I wasn't satisfied with the shave. I probably did not apply enough pressure.

I re-wet my face and shaved again with a Mach-3.

The whole process put me about fifteen minutes behind my usual schedule getting to work.

One down.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

OK, do NOT apply pressure. DON'T push the blade. That will cause razor burn faster than a cat can lick his ass. Try a bit less angle, that is get the spine closer to your face. You should use a bit more pressure than is just necessary to wipe off the lather. If it starts tugging, get the spine closer to your face.

Depending on your whiskers, a one pass shave with a straight will not get all the whiskers. After you get used to handling your razors, then you can start learning to shave across the grain and against the grain of your beard to get a smooth shave like your Mach III will give you. And it may never be as smooth as the the Mach III but it'll be a HELL of lot more fun. ::nod::

When you get the against the grain shaving, you'll find that the blade is nearly flat against your face.

Like Barry said, start with about a 30° angle and reduce it to where it's cutting smoothly.

This beginning part is the most aggravating. Take your time. IF your arm starts getting shaky, then try another spot or go back to your regular razor. IF the razor hangs, STOP. Keep your skin pulled as tight as you can.

Shaving with a straight is not a high speed operation. I can do a 2 pass shave in about 10 minutes. A bit less if I've stropped the razor before hand.

W
RobesonsRme.com

This is very difficult. ::dang::

You'd think that someone that's been handling surgical instruments almost daily for forty years could figure this out. ::facepalm::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:This is very difficult. ::dang::

You'd think that someone that's been handling surgical instruments almost daily for forty years could figure this out. ::facepalm::

Charlie Noyes
Think about it this way.

Your grandfather used one. ;) It isn't rocket science. :p

You are learning a new skill. Take your time (and save your face) LOL
RobesonsRme.com

That explains why beards were more common back then.

Come to think of it, Willie, don't you have a mustache and goatee? :?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:That explains why beards were more common back then.

Come to think of it, Willie, don't you have a mustache and goatee? :?

Charlie
Mustache only, (and few new small scars on the chin.) ;)

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”