question about a standard knife co. razor?

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
timgreene48

question about a standard knife co. razor?

Post by timgreene48 »

I have absolutely no knowledge about straight razors. Recently, I came across a razor that was stamped "the Standard knife co. little valley N.Y." Now, I know from Sargent's guide, that standard was around from 1901=1903. My question is... Is this a rare find, or are these razors common? The handle material looks very similar to ivory, but did they use plastic or some other composite material? My local flea market dealer is asking 50.00 for the razor, but I don't think it has the original box. Any info or help would be appriciated. Thanks, Tim
Owd Wullie

Re: question about a standard knife co. razor?

Post by Owd Wullie »

Hi Tim,

Rare? You don't see a lot of Standard stuff, but you do see some. Questions that come to my mind are A, are you wanting it to collect, B. Do you plan on using it, C what is the condition of the blade, the scales, etc, D has the razor been used?

The scales are most likely "faux ivory" which is one of the more stable versions of celluloid. Is the edge rough or chipped? Is the blade cracked? Does it have an etch? Is the blade shiny or rusty or spotted or dull? Is the edge straight, smiling, or frowning. Does it have significant hone wear? What is the depth of the blade from spine to edge. Is it square point or round point or some other? Are the handles loose or tight? Do the pins match?

I'd bet it's a 5/8 or 4/8. Razors are generally measured in 8ths for blade width. If it is a 6/8 or 7/8 then it is much more desirable. Americans didn't make that many bigger blades like the English and Germans. BIG American razors are fewer and farther between.

These are some of the things to consider when messing with razors.

I doubt I'd give a fifty dollar bill for it. It would have to be about PERFECT in every way and have the right box for me think about paying that much.

The next guy might think it's a steal at fifty. That is a decision that only you can make.

See if the dealer will let you take some pics and post them here and maybe we can tell you a bit more about the razor.

Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Thank you so much Willie, I had no idea that there was so much to consider concerning a razor. I probably can't answer all of your questions, but from what you have asked, I can surmize that the razor is not in mint condition. As I said, I am not an expert ,nor acollector of straight razors. I collect case knives,and as such, I recognized the case family brand and thought it might be something worth investing in. I will probably stay away from it. Again, thank you so much for the info, Tim
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

IF it's in any kind of decent shape, offer 'em $25 and see where it goes. ;)

There are several "Case" family brands of Razors out there. Kinfolks and Temperite, come to mind right off the top of my head. You can see WR Case and Sons, as well as Case Bros razors on ebay pretty regular. Most are well used and don't bring a lot of $$. The REALLY nice ones will command some pretty hefty $$ every now and then,

A lot of these so called antique dealers have no clue about razors. They look at ebay and find the highest price selling razor of the same name and think theirs is worth twice that. ;)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”