9/8 W.GREAVES & SONS Masonic etched chopper

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Owd Wullie

9/8 W.GREAVES & SONS Masonic etched chopper

Post by Owd Wullie »

Been lusting after one of the BIG Masonic razors for a while now. Saw this on ebay and gave it my best shot. After getting outbid on the last several, I got tall enough to win this one and spent ALL of my lunch money in the process. :( I'm happy with it as it matches my ring. :)

I'll get her honed up this weekend. It won't take much it appears. Probably fill the worm bites in the scales and run 'er as is.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 9/8 W.GREAVES & SONS Masonic etched chopper

Post by Miller Bro's »

Owd Wullie wrote:I like posting pics of stuff I didn't pay a lot for because I WON'T PAY A LOT!! ::tounge::
:shock: Welcome to the other side Willie, you are now officially a Razor Collector, not just a user ::nod:: :mrgreen:
Owd Wullie wrote:After getting outbid on the last several, I got tall enough to win this one and spent ALL of my lunch money in the process. :(
Yeah, but where and when are ya going to find another one like it?

I keep telling myself "It`s only money" every time I spend all my lunch money on something too :roll: :lol: :lol:

Very nice old Razor! ::drool:: ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

LOL. Thanks D.

I didn't really expect it to go that much, but I prepared for it anyway. If it had for $1.06 more, I wouldn't own it. :roll:

It's a beast and I'm looking forward to mowing down some whiskers with it. :mrgreen:

I'm still hunting for the right size box to send your stuff up to you. ::facepalm:: Hang in there.

W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Nice one Willie.

Looks like it could double as a small cleaver.

Willie has now slipped the bonds of frugality and soared to the heights like the rest of us.

Charlie Noyes, sitting here with razor rash.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Thanks Charlie.

As for that rash...... Generally speaking, nowadays if I get razor burn, it's because I went over the same spot too many times. Pushing your razor into the skin or keeping too high a blade angle will cause it pretty fast as well. About once a week, I'll get a warm spot on my chin because I've got a patch that grows funny there and If I don't get 'em cut right the first time, I'll have to get rude with 'em and pay the price.

Do ANY of your Robesons have a half hollow or quarter hollow grind? If so, would it happen to be one you'd think about putting to use? I can hone one with tape on the spine that will not leave any marks or wear on the spine.

Reason I'm asking is that sometimes the thicker grinds are easier to learn and use than full hollows like I sent you. I learned to shave with a straight with a 6/8 Taylor's full hollow. Thinking back, I had some of the issues you're speaking of. One day, on a lark, I decided to sharpen up an OLD Frederick Reynolds that was nearly a full wedge grind. It is a big old beast measuring 8/8 at the toe. However, it shaved MUCH differently than the 6/8 full hollow.

The BIG razors handle differently. I think the blade mass helps. Those heavy blades will also plow through and shave off whatever gets in front of them if not run correctly.I took a chunk out of my lower lip one evening with that beast. However, I routinely reach for the thicker, heavier blades. I've got several 6/8 to 7/8 blades in near wedge and quarter hollow that are my favorites. I've also got a 6/8 full KROPP ( Sheffield blade by Osborne & Garrett) that is a smooth shaving SOB.

I don't think it's an edge issue with the two razors I sent you. I tried them both and they did great for me. SO in my mind, that narrows it down to technique or maybe your beard and skin will do better being shaved with a different grind.
W
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Oh, I'm quite sure it's lack of proper technique.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Oh, I'm quite sure it's lack of proper technique.
Charlie
You'll get there.

(if you don't saw your face off first) ::doh:: ::tounge:: :mrgreen:

AND when you do make that first good shave, you'll be SO surprised at how easy it really is.

It'll all come together and when you get done, you'll wonder how it happened. ::nod::

My offer still stands if you want to get a heavier grind sharpened up to try.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”