info on wade and butcher razors

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
timgreene48

info on wade and butcher razors

Post by timgreene48 »

I purchased these razors at my local flea mkt. today. The seller said that they were over 100 years old. The larger one reads "wade and butcher for barbers use" on the tang. The numbers "1862" are carved into the handle(buffalo horn, maybe?) The smaller one has no wording, just a stamping of a "bow"? I don't know what the handle material is on that one, maybe celluloid? My question is, how old are they really, and are they of any value in this condition? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
Attachments
037.JPG
043.JPG
038.JPG
039.JPG
040.JPG
041.JPG
042.JPG
Owd Wullie

Re: info on wade and butcher razors

Post by Owd Wullie »

Both are probably over 100 years. The 1862 is a good possibility of being correct as FBU razors were in vogue during that period. How wide is the blade on the big one? Measure from the spine to the edge. Hard to tell from our pictures but it appears to be a faux frameback style. Handles on that one are most likely buffalo horn. Hard to tell but the FBU looks like the blade may have been reground as most of them had a hollow point, sometimes referred to as a "barber's notch". Square points like it is now came into vogue as near as I can tell in the 1880's. Just looking the picture, I'd say this one is about 7/8th of an inch wide. It could possibly be made into a good shaver.

The "BOW" razor is one of W&B's side line razors that had a special name to make it more special in the eye of the purchaser. It is newer than the big one and could have hard rubber scales or celluloid. Does it have the word ENGLAND anywhere on the tang? IF so, it post dates 1891-1892. The bow razor has seen some serious use in its lifetime. Appears to have a "frowning" edge and a lot of hone wear. It's also been "butter knifed" but hone wear making the tip narrower than the rest of the blade. It appears to me to be about 4/8 or half inch wide. IT would take a lot of work to make the bow a good shaver.

Here's a couple of links with some more info on W&B.
http://www.strazors.com/index.php?id=26 ... _sheffield_

http://www.strazors.com/uploads/images/ ... ls_1-7.pdf

And here's a pic of a couple of W&B's with a "hollow point/barber's notch" blade.

And an old big one that ahs been re-ground and re-pointed to square.

Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Willie, thank you for the info. It was very informative. If I have measured correctly, it's a tad over 3/4". Also, I think you are right about the hollow point being ground down, because the blade falls about 1/4" shy of the end of the frame. I took a chance on this razor with the idea that it might have significant value because of it's age. Whatever it's value, I would sell or trade for pocketknives if you or anyone else on this forum would be interested. Again, thank you for your time, Tim
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

W&B's are one of the hotter selling brands on ebay at the moment. Those marked FOR BARBER"S USE only bring the BIG bucks if the blade is pretty close to original. Most all of the older FBU's had a 1" or wider blade. Those are the ones that bring a lot $$.

I've got WAY more razors than I'll ever shave with right now. Not trying to run your razors down and they are worth something, but at the moment, I'm hunting for some different animals in the razor dept.

Post 'em down there in the member sales area and see what you can come up with.

take care,
W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”