Boker Eagle

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Gunstock Jack

Boker Eagle

Post by Gunstock Jack »

I've seen a lot of the "improved eagle" Bokers, but when I came across this one at the NWKC show I had to have it 'cause of the etch! Blade is full 6/8 and in decent shape with a couple of spots, but salvagable. Looks to be a half hollow grind. (thanks OW) This is after cleaning and working on the bevel some. I don't mind the old scale repair as I bought it for the blade, but I'll prob'ly replace them at some future date. ::shrug::
IMG_8306.JPG
IMG_8305.JPG
So it's English steel, German company, US manufacture??? Or it it of German mfg. made prior to WWI ? I thought maybe they used the eagle etch to codify Americans with anti-German attitudes?
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
Owd Wullie

Re: Boker Eagle

Post by Owd Wullie »

NICE one. Somewhere on the web is a chart that shows how to date one of those by the shape of the tree. I thought I had it saved, but I can't find it.

Hone it up and give us a report. :)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Willie, I can't tell for sure, but the tang stamp "tree" looks a lot like the 1907 mark, but it could be as late as 1933? ::shrug:: Anyway, it honed up beautifully and shaves like a dream in spite of some minor corrosion issues. Used it this morning and it just keeps gettin' better the more I strop it. ::hmm:: I've been checkin' the bay and haven't seen another with the same etch, although the similar "improved eagle" etch is fairly common, even among various brands.
Barry

Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I'm betting that is an early one. Thought I had me a good Boker the day. I bought a lot on ebay and Boker was part of it. I grabbed it and went to set a bevel and the damn thing was cracked. It could be saved but it would be about a 4/8 and I ain't gonna waste my time on it. I popped the scales off of it for another project and one of the scales fell apart. LOL

Oh well.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

THANKS TJ!! ::tu::
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Thanks for posting the link Tom. I checked it out and I'm still unsure of the date of mfg. The American eagle etch and "e pluribus unum" plus the lack of a country of origin on the tang (especially the lack of the name Solingen) leads me to believe this razor was made prior to WWI when anti german sentiment was high, say around 1915. JMHO
Barry

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”