Pennsylvania Knife Co. Straight

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
demonr6

Pennsylvania Knife Co. Straight

Post by demonr6 »

Hello gents.. first time poster here and I have an interesting find that I was hoping someone could shed some light on for me. I came across this razor by pure chance and have not been able to find anything about the manufacturer. I did run across David's Tidioute: A Town With an Edge during my travels and was led here by a forum member on Straight Razor Place.

Enough chat.. here is the razor. Pardon me for the less than stellar pics but Murphy's Law both bulbs I use for my lightbox burned out over the last two days and I am dealing with garbage bulbs.
Attachments
2014-10-23 18.27.26.jpg
vZnvwkp.jpg
WVbN2D7.jpg
h8lc7qI.jpg
kf01v4z.jpg
Umcknifeguy

Re: Pennsylvania Knife Co. Straight

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Very interesting razor you have there. I personally cant tell you much about the company, but the fella who can on this forum goes by the handle PA KNIVES. Hope you stick around with us. If you are intested in knives, razors, or anything that cuts, this is the place to be.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Glad you made it over here. Lots of great folks and wealth of knowledge here.

Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
demonr6

Post by demonr6 »

Umcknifeguy wrote:Very interesting razor you have there. I personally cant tell you much about the company, but the fella who can on this forum goes by the handle PA KNIVES. Hope you stick around with us. If you are intested in knives, razors, or anything that cuts, this is the place to be.
Yes to everything.. I have a growing addiction, erm collection of straights most being Union Cutlery, Geneva Cutlery and now this latest diamond in the rough that I am attempting to identify. All roads led me here. :)
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

sorry to take so long to reply, I have been out of town.

The Pennsylvania Knife Co. was name adopted first by the Supplee hardware house in Philadelphia and later used by the combination of the Supplee/Biddle hardware house in Phili. If you don't know what a hardware house truly was, I suggest you read up on them as they played a significant role in the advancement of knives in our country and few understand what they really did.

Most of their knives and razors were made in Germany, from the late 1800's into the 1900's. The first Tidioute Cutlery Company made both for them but one needs to remember that either or MUST be stamped TIDIOUTE on the tang to establish that. The second Tidioute cutlery company did some for them too.

Hope this helps

David
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Good stuff!!

Thanks David! ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

That's awesome!

Here's a Supplee/Biddle I have.
Attachments
bid.JPG
bid2.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”