my first heavy shaver

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Umcknifeguy

my first heavy shaver

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Here's my first heavy Sheffield razor. Quarter hollow 13/16 wade & butcher. Man what a shaver this thing is! I'm hooked on these for sure. Gotta find a few more now
Attachments
20150110_155713.jpg
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Owd Wullie

Re: my first heavy shaver

Post by Owd Wullie »

LOL Welcome to the farthest corner of the dark side.

I've got a couple of full hollows that I enjoy shaving with. I've got about 20 "wedgy" 1/4 hollow/half hollow blades that I LOVE shaving with. The heavy grinds are quieter and smoother to me than the full hollows.

ENJOY!
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Awesome looking razor! It looks like a dandy.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Hey Willie you got that right. This thing gives a smoother shave than the sharpest full hollow I've got.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Umcknifeguy wrote:Hey Willie you got that right. This thing gives a smoother shave than the sharpest full hollow I've got.
Only thing I can blame that on is that the heavy grinds are stiff. The blade doesn't flex, they just blissfully plow silently through whatever is in their way.

I think the full hollow grinds were a manufacturing technique that allowed less steel to be used and then backed up by advertising to convince guys that they are better than "your grandfather's old fashioned, big razor".

Judging by the vast numbers of 5/8 full hollows that are still out there, I guess their ploy worked.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”