Straight Shavin'

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Stanwade

Re: Straight Shavin'

Post by Stanwade »

Nice razors everyone!! I don’t use a straight razor at home but I enjoy a good shave with one at the Barber shop… I collect a few… The first one is a Keen Kutter I just picked up recently and the second one is nothing special but it said Fred Kruger on it so I bought it… I wonder if that’s where they got his character’s name for the movie?
Attachments
86A943C5-7E90-4086-8ADC-350BC83D7508.png
43C93B62-0E6B-406D-8C25-9127D8F9C5DC.jpeg
869C1F66-DABE-43BB-B859-5665F762B825.jpeg
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Nice razors!
Owd Wullie wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:51 pm [quote=Colonel26 post_id=724674 time=<a href="tel:1555470760">1555470760</a> user_id=14441]
Cleaned up after mowing this afternoon. Decided the whiskers needed chopping off. I used this old Joseph Allen & Sons original non XLL with a full wedge grind. Best I can sus out it’s feom between 1883 and 1900ish. The horn scales have some bug bites, but they’re still OK for now. Excuse the bad pics the lighting is terrible and it’s dark outside. I tried to get the etch to show.

Post 1892 due to the fact that ENGLAND is included in the stamp. Very nice razor.
[/quote]

I must have had a brain freeze. Thanks for catching that! How ya been? Are you still traveling the world in the old semi?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:30 pm .
I touch them up with a small barber's hone, then 25 stokes on the linen and 50 strokes on the leather of my strop.

Do you straight shave? Fill us in!
What grit or finish is the barber's hone? I have several different fine Japanese water stones I use for kitchen knives. I have one that I've never used that is 3000.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

This showed up in my mailbox today. Really clean. Robson ShurEdge (ShurEdge in script & underlined) Rochester, New York. No tarnish on the blade, or rust. I think just a few touch up passes on the strop and it should be ready to use. My phone camera doesn't show it, but the handle has a fine lined pattern in it. Kind of like what some call faux Italian Ivory.
Razor Robeson Suredge.png

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

That's a nice one, Papa B. 👍👍
I have no idea what grit my barber's hone is. ::shrug:: I found it in an antique store. I brought it home, drew several pencil lines on it - corner to corner, side to side, top to bottom on both sides. Then I took a very fine sanding block to it. I sanded until all the pencil lines were gone. That told me it was darn near perfectly flat.

You may already know this, if so, it may help a newbie - a barber's hone isn't the best to use to sharpen a straight razor, it's really just to touch up an edge that is already been set for bevel and edge. And a strop will not sharpen, either. It is to smooth and polish an already sharp edge

While I can get a pocket knife to shave arm hair, I know it still isn't shaving sharp. If you've never sharpened a straight razor, I would recommend sending it out to a pro. When you get it back, you'll have a base line for what shaving sharp is, should you decide to sharpen your razors yourself in the future.

I've always sent my razors to Glen of Gemstar Customs. He does have a website www.gemstarcustoms.com
Great guy to work with.
Attachments
20200517_072812.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:29 am That's a nice one, Papa B. 👍👍
I have no idea what grit my barber's hone is. ::shrug:: I found it in an antique store. I brought it home, drew several pencil lines on it - corner to corner, side to side, top to bottom on both sides. Then I took a very fine sanding block to it. I sanded until all the pencil lines were gone. That told me it was darn near perfectly flat.

You may already know this, if so, it may help a newbie - a barber's hone isn't the best to use to sharpen a straight razor, it's really just to touch up an edge that is already been set for bevel and edge. And a strop will not sharpen, either. It is to smooth and polish an already sharp edge

While I can get a pocket knife to shave arm hair, I know it still isn't shaving sharp. If you've never sharpened a straight razor, I would recommend sending it out to a pro. When you get it back, you'll have a base line for what shaving sharp is, should you decide to sharpen your razors yourself in the future.

I've always sent my razors to Glen of Gemstar Customs. He does have a website www.gemstarcustoms.com
Great guy to work with.
I'll keep that in mind, and I do appreciate the link!

Do you not use any kind of paste or rouge? I have a Herold block strop and use green Dialux for putting a finish on my wood chisels and on the only two planes I have. I will usually run them on a 1000 water stone and then finish on the strop with the dialux. You can shave your arm with the plane irons if you work it down. I was actually thinking of getting a loom strop.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Never got into the pastes. I only use my straight razors on Saturdays. I have 8, so individually they don't get a lot of use. Once I get 'em back from Glen, I'll strop before every shave. Once I feel the blade start to pull, I'll take the blade to the barber's hone for 10-12 strokes each side, then to the strop - 25-30 on the linen, then another 50 strokes on the latigo. Honestly I've been pushing them further than I like, as far as sharpness. They are way overdue a trip to Glen. The hone is keeping the edge just this side of tolerable...for the time being :) .
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm Never got into the pastes. I only use my straight razors on Saturdays. I have 8, so individually they don't get a lot of use. Once I get 'em back from Glen, I'll strop before every shave. Once I feel the blade start to pull, I'll take the blade to the barber's hone for 10-12 strokes each side, then to the strop - 25-30 on the linen, then another 50 strokes on the latigo. Honestly I've been pushing them further than I like, as far as sharpness. They are way overdue a trip to Glen. The hone is keeping the edge just this side of tolerable...for the time being :) .
::tu:: Yep, all edges eventually have to be maintained to the optimum.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Yup, it's Saturday.
H. Boker Red-Injun No. 101
A bit of a rough shave this morning. I really need to get my straights out to a pro to bring back the edge.
20200523_082750.jpg
Scales aren't original to the blade, but I didn't buy it for authenticity, I bought it for shaving.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I like call my Saturday straight shaves my Cowboy shave, reminiscent of their shaves of the 1800s in the old west, an era I have really taken an interest in.
Always have my coffee, black, at the ready and some tunes in the background. Today it was Marty Robbins singing songs of El Paso and telling stories about "Mr. Shorty" and the "Big Iron on His Hip".
20200530_073224.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:54 pm I like call my Saturday straight shaves my Cowboy shave, reminiscent of their shaves of the 1800s in the old west, an era I have really taken an interest in.
Always have my coffee, black, at the ready and some tunes in the background. Today it was Marty Robbins singing songs of El Paso and telling stories about "Mr. Shorty" and the "Big Iron on His Hip".
20200530_073224.jpg
I've been away a bit, so catching up. Marty had his own style. He was a very competitive race car driver also. The story goes, that for a while on the same nights he was to perform at The Grand Ole Opry, he would also race a car at the Fairgrounds Race Track there in Nashville. They said several times the Opry would have to shift entertainers around because Mary Robbins would be late arriving because he was finishing a race. Of course you know he went on to race in NASCAR also.

Just out of curiosity, what shaving soap to you like to use? I for the most part use Arko, and Proraso. The Arko seems to give a smoother shave. The Proraso with mint oil a close second. I think both are made in Italy. My daughter sent me some as a gift called Sasquatch, made by Seattle Sundries. Has a great scent, made with coconut oils,Olive oil, Castor Oil, & Palm oil, but still not as smooth of shave as the Arko or Proraso.

But was just wondering your favorite.

Have a great weekend.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:21 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:54 pm I like call my Saturday straight shaves my Cowboy shave, reminiscent of their shaves of the 1800s in the old west, an era I have really taken an interest in.
20200530_073224.jpg
I've been away a bit, so catching up. Marty had his own style. He was a very competitive race car driver also. The story goes, that for a while on the same nights he was to perform at The Grand Ole Opry, he would also race a car at the Fairgrounds Race Track there in Nashville. They said several times the Opry would have to shift entertainers around because Mary Robbins would be late arriving because he was finishing a race. Of course you know he went on to race in NASCAR also.

Just out of curiosity, what shaving soap to you like to use? I for the most part use Arko, and Proraso. The Arko seems to give a smoother shave. The Proraso with mint oil a close second. I think both are made in Italy. My daughter sent me some as a gift called Sasquatch, made by Seattle Sundries. Has a great scent, made with coconut oils,Olive oil, Castor Oil, & Palm oil, but still not as smooth of shave as the Arko or Proraso.

But was just wondering your favorite.

Have a great weekend.
Van der Hagen (VDH) Deluxe and VDH Luxury are probably best bang for the buck, and available locally. C. O. Bigelow is a rebranded Proraso; great stuff. The Art of Shaving puts out a fantastic soap, but overpriced, in my opinion. Arko (made in Turkey) is good, I just don't care for the "skeeter-be-gone" scent. All of these I can get local. (Simply can't stand Williams, even if I can get it at 99 cents a puck!)

As for online ordering, Stirling shave soap is outstanding. Quitec a selection of scents. Priced right, too. I'll be ordering from them again, to be sure. Oh, and Tabac... oh, Tabac... in my opinion, absolute best in lather quality, smoothness of shave, scent and finish!

I do prefer soaps over creams.

Like my knives, I have a variety that I rotate through.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 pm (Simply can't stand Williams, even if I can get it at 99 cents a puck!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: For sure. I tried Williams once. Threw it away after two shaves. Never again.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I call the Saturday shave my Cowboy Shave.
A straight razor was the tool of the day for wisker whacking back in the days of the Old West. Saturdays I can take time a pay attention to what I'm doing.
A mug from Texas, Pandora radio in the back ground playing film scores from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, True Grit, Hang 'em High, The Sons of Katie Elder, How the West was Won...
While I always have a cup of coffee with my shave, (on the weekends I treat myself to my own home roasted Kenya), I'm going to have to get some Arbuckle's coffee. That was what most Cookies served from the chuck wagon on those cattle drives. And what was in most saddle bags.
Dovo razor, old Eveready boar brush, Proraso shaving cream in the tube
Dovo razor, old Eveready boar brush, Proraso shaving cream in the tube
Inset with my monogram
Inset with my monogram
My wife had it inscribed with a song we had played at our wedding.  39 years married in April!
My wife had it inscribed with a song we had played at our wedding. 39 years married in April!
Anyway, high of 33° today, wind making it feel like it's in the low 20s. Yup, gonna fire up the grill and throw on some steaks!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Today's Cowboy shave
Robeson ShurEdge 1560 New Science Concave
20210130_071529.jpg
20210130_071621.jpg
Tabac shave soap, Crabtree and Evelyn badger brush, and some Avon Wild Country aftershave balm and cologne to top things off.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Premier Lifetime Professional X98
20210206_071308.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:46 pm Premier Lifetime Professional X98
20210206_071308.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: Nice setup Steve.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:21 am
Steve Warden wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:46 pm Premier Lifetime Professional X98
20210206_071308.jpg
::tu:: ::tu:: Nice setup Steve.
Thank you, Papa B.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:44 pm I call the Saturday shave my Cowboy Shave.
A straight razor was the tool of the day for wisker whacking back in the days of the Old West. Saturdays I can take time a pay attention to what I'm doing.
A mug from Texas, Pandora radio in the back ground playing film scores from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, True Grit, Hang 'em High, The Sons of Katie Elder, How the West was Won...
While I always have a cup of coffee with my shave, (on the weekends I treat myself to my own home roasted Kenya), I'm going to have to get some Arbuckle's coffee. That was what most Cookies served from the chuck wagon on those cattle drives. And what was in most saddle bags.
20210123_073402.jpg
20210123_073541.jpg
20210123_073513.jpg

Anyway, high of 33° today, wind making it feel like it's in the low 20s. Yup, gonna fire up the grill and throw on some steaks!
Just getting around to catching up on all this thread. I see besides a consumer of quality cutlery, you are also a connoisseur of good music and of the Best Morning Elixir... Coffee. I myself partake of copious amounts of the flavorful Ebony colored liquid of life. Without it, I can't adult in the mornings.

You may be aware of this, but did you know you can still buy Arbuckle's Coffee? Also, a tidbit of trivia, Arbuckle's was also the first major coffee producer to put sticks of peppermint candy in with their coffee as an incentive for sales. But here in the south, since around the mid 1800s Maxwell House Coffee and Red Diamond Coffee were the most seen coffee's.

Good looking morning shave accoutrements there. Also, Good decision on the meal plans, there is no bad day to grill or smoke meat! ::tu::

Smitty
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! It’s been a while since I’ve checked in here.

That’s a nice barber hone. I have an old Keen Kutter I use to mine up. If its a new one that’s severely dull I use an 8k grit diamond hone with a layer of black electrical tape on the spine. Also for touch ups I have a block of balsa wood with paste on it that I strop the razors with, then the leather strop. But normally I just use the leather.

I’ma fan of prorasso green myself. And I like their aftershave too. I’ve never used tabac, but I’ve heard it’s great. When my prorasso runs out I’ll have to try some.

Steve you have some beautiful razors for sure, and I like your taste in music. My boys and I love Marty Robbins. One day my oldest was talking to me about a friend of ours who the day before had waxed eloquent about the goodness of Glock pistols. My son looked at me and said, “the song says big iron, not big plastic!”. I gafawed. ROFL.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”