Antique straight razor Strop leather strap

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
raincrowe

Antique straight razor Strop leather strap

Post by raincrowe »

Always had this laying around the house and thought it was a razor strop..... today I got around to looking it up sure enough I was correct as it was a razor strop almost 14 inches long including handle..... one site states that it's from the 1920's era..... another says 1800's don't really know much about the strop....I can't find a name or any other information...My grandfather was a barber I knew he used straight razors but he died when I was four.... therefore I've never seen anyone use or sharpen one....Seems to be a dying art since the modern razors came around...I know they are still some folks out there who collect, sharpen and use the straight razor...I would enjoy hearing from them and others who like the old barber tools....Thanks in advance ::tu::
Attachments
SAM_1049.JPG
SAM_1048.JPG
SAM_1047.JPG
SAM_1046.JPG
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Re: Antique straight razor Strop leather strap

Post by geocash »

raincrowe wrote:Always had this laying around the house and thought it was a razor strop..... today I got around to looking it up sure enough I was correct as it was a razor strop almost 14 inches long including handle..... one site states that it's from the 1920's era..... another says 1800's don't really know much about the strop....I can't find a name or any other information...My grandfather was a barber I knew he used straight razors but he died when I was four.... therefore I've never seen anyone use or sharpen one....Seems to be a dying art since the modern razors came around...I know they are still some folks out there who collect, sharpen and use the straight razor...I would enjoy hearing from them and others who like the old barber tools....Thanks in advance ::tu::
Thanks for showing it raincrowe. I don't believe I can add anything you don't already know but I'm looking forward to any responses you may get. I remember when barbers used straight razors to shave my neck & around my ears. I watched them & all the other barbers using their strops but I don't know how the leather was tanned or remember whether they used anything on them. By coincidence, last week a friend showed me a straight razor he'd just gotten & intends to learn to use. He was looking for a strop so I made him one out of some vegetable tanned leather only because that's what I had that looked right to me. He'll know pretty soon how well it works but I'm sure several people who see yours know already.
geocash
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Here's a little bit, to wet your whiskers...
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=61601&hilit=shavin ... ight+razor
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have one with the original box. say's TOWER & LAMONT. ROCHESTER N. Y. COMBINATION RAZOR STROP. CURVED RIBBON BANNER SAY'S THE LAMONT. No idea what year. many collectors and good websites. we broke off a couple of old ones to make wood carving detail knife blades. you have a nice collectible. as for the leather, it would be either Chrome tanned or oil tanned. Today most sold is vegetable tanned, for leather crafts. Chrome causes verdigris, "spell" which causes brass knife hilts or rivets to turn green.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

geocash wrote:
raincrowe wrote:Always had this laying around the house and thought it was a razor strop..... today I got around to looking it up sure enough I was correct as it was a razor strop almost 14 inches long including handle..... one site states that it's from the 1920's era..... another says 1800's don't really know much about the strop....I can't find a name or any other information...My grandfather was a barber I knew he used straight razors but he died when I was four.... therefore I've never seen anyone use or sharpen one....Seems to be a dying art since the modern razors came around...I know they are still some folks out there who collect, sharpen and use the straight razor...I would enjoy hearing from them and others who like the old barber tools....Thanks in advance ::tu::
Thanks for showing it raincrowe. I don't believe I can add anything you don't already know but I'm looking forward to any responses you may get. I remember when barbers used straight razors to shave my neck & around my ears. I watched them & all the other barbers using their strops but I don't know how the leather was tanned or remember whether they used anything on them. By coincidence, last week a friend showed me a straight razor he'd just gotten & intends to learn to use. He was looking for a strop so I made him one out of some vegetable tanned leather only because that's what I had that looked right to me. He'll know pretty soon how well it works but I'm sure several people who see yours know already.
My barber still does that thankfully.

I shave with a straight razor and get a lot less irritation and razor burn that with a modern type set up. I had a local Amish leather shop make me a 3” wide strop and that’s what I use for stropping.

That old strop in the OP is a fine old heirloom. Treasure it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

First I would like to thank everyone for the quick response!.. So much information glad to see that straight shaving art isn't dead....I know it would take nerves of steel to try shaving...Never tried but still thinking on it..lol...Looking around I found more items not sure if all were my grandfather's but some were...3 Razors...1) Mark side John Primble India Steel Works 1032 1/2 Blue Grass stamped lightly...on the pile side (Extraground & M.F.D in Germany) with Light colored handles.....2) mark side.. E.M. Dickinson (pic of a screw) Sheffield...... Light colored handles....3) Black handle razor marked.... Imperial Razor Warranted Registered 20507 Germany..... blade engraved Extra Hollow Ground Fully Warranted...A pair of hand held clippers marked ACE Trade Mark...Last a smooth stone I would say suitable for a razor!!...I would like to know more about the numbers system what Hollow ground means...ect..
Attachments
SAM_1064.JPG
SAM_1062.JPG
SAM_1059.JPG
SAM_1056.JPG
SAM_1055.JPG
SAM_1050.JPG
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

your Dickenson carrys Bone Scales , jus sayin
Brian
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

I did act a bit to fast , Primble is also in bone scales.
again , in fact , jus sayin
Brian
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

The Primble is also bone scales . for future reference , if your straights only have the single word " Sheffeild " they are
without a doubt " Pre 1891 " after that year , 1891 , new tariff rules had to include " country of origin " i.e. England .
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the good information!!……. Then would like to add some other items which might be of interest
First a Kriss Kross stropper in the original box and then a Gillette Razor I don't know if the set goes together but they seem to be the same time period
Let me know what you think!!
Attachments
SAM_1096.JPG
SAM_1098 (2).JPG
SAM_1097.JPG
SAM_1095 (2).JPG
SAM_1094.JPG
SAM_1093.JPG
SAM_1092 (2).JPG
SAM_1089.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Ask and ye shall receive.

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

7C50CF65-A6FC-4792-836F-D5351A084619.png
7C50CF65-A6FC-4792-836F-D5351A084619.png (44.54 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
FFE672F1-B42B-41CE-A235-3952D5E50C88.png
FFE672F1-B42B-41CE-A235-3952D5E50C88.png (30.63 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

raincrowe wrote:First of all I would like to thank everyone for the good information!!……. Then would like to add some other items which might be of interest
First a Kriss Kross stropper in the original box and then a Gillette Razor I don't know if the set goes together but they seem to be the same time period
Let me know what you think!!
Cool! That razor, today known by collectors, is a Gillette OLD Type Single Ring. Goes back to the early 1900s. I have and use one (I used to collect vintage razors. I use them to shave with as the blades are MUCH cheaper and I get better shaves - closer and no irritation)
The razor strop, as you can see, was from a different company not affiliated with Gillette. Not sure of its age. Any date on the paperwork?

Some great info by the folks over at The Shave Den www.theshaveden.com
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I checked and on the back of the Stropper in the center of the circle is....Kriss Kross Corp St Louis Mo. U.S.A. Pat 6-30-21
I assume it's 1921
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

I found a razor hone which might be of some interest....this piece is broken still close to 5 inches long
the unusual thing is the name
Franz Swaty
Wahring Bei Wien
Austria
Any information would be helpful....thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_0869 (2).JPG
IMG_0868 (2).JPG
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier