Wostenholm Pipe Razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Wostenholm Pipe Razor

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Wostenholm razor just because I liked it, really nice condition, not sure what the handle is made from, maybe ivory.
Attachments
IMG_0658.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg
wlf

Re: Wostenholm Pipe Razor

Post by wlf »

Missed y’all John. Looks like ivory to me.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cool old razor. Handles are most likely " French ivory" celluloid. Blade has a lot of wear and has been heavily buffed, it has been a bit re-shaped on the end and poorly sharpened so the edge is no longer straight. I believe Wostenholm bought the pipe brand from another cutlery company in the late 1800s.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice.
I've heard pipe razors make for a good shave.
I'd send it out to have it professionally sharpened, then use it.
Not sure what the scale material is.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
wlf

Post by wlf »

This is Wostenholm French ivory John.
Attachments
3307D9F1-6904-4512-BB54-B05DC9A5A80A.jpeg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

wlf wrote:This is Wostenholm French ivory John.
Thank you Lyle and we really missed you guys also, my head's sore from Donna beating me because I made her miss the Rendezvous :lol: Looking at your picture I'm thinking French Ivory, if you look at the bottom picture you can see the lines although they are not as defined.

Thank, Steve, Gunsil for the comments, I just may send it out, for it's age it's in decent shape, the handles perfect. Or I just may put it in a display with other razor's I've collected over the years.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Nice razor. Scales are celluloid called as stated above "French Ivory." Just happens to be one of the most stable versions of celluloid.
Easiest way to discern ivory scales on a razor is by the pins. True ivory will not have a washer under the pin head. Will also be pinned at both ends. Scales will be rather thin as well. Unlike bone, there are no pores in ivory when viewed under magnification.

Then there is always the hot pin test. Heat a straight pin red hot and touch it to an unobtrusive area inside the scale. If it smokes upon touching the scale, it is not ivory.

Your razor appears to have been repinned at some point in its life. It has a washer on one side and not on the other. There are also scratches around the side with the missing washer. Not a big deal. Happened all the time. Scales broke and razors broke. Ofttimes two were made into one. Adds character in my opinion.

GW's "Pipe" razor line were good razors in their day and will still do a good job if you're of such a mind to have it tuned up and try it.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”