My newest,"pencil sharpener".......

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

My newest,"pencil sharpener".......

Post by knife7knut »

Found this at one of my favorite antique stores today advertised as a pencil sharpener. While it does bear some resemblance to an older style hand cranked pencil sharpener there is no bracket to mount it to the wall(or your desk or whatever).I looked inside and knew immediately what it was:a tool for stropping old double edge razor blades.Fold out the handle to crank it.Pop the top and inside there are two rubber rollers that strop the blade.The blade is clamped between a bracket that is pulled out from the side and then inserted back into the housing(it has to be properly positioned)through a slot.As the crank is turned it strops one side of each edge and then flips it over and strops the second edge.
The paint was all chipping away so I started removing it all.Haven't decided whether to polish it or re-finish it in the original colors(gray and black). For $6 I think it was a pretty good deal.
Attachments
TwinPlexDoubleEdgeRazorBladeSharpener$6 001.jpg
TwinPlexDoubleEdgeRazorBladeSharpener$6 002.jpg
TwinPlexDoubleEdgeRazorBladeSharpener$6 003.jpg
TwinPlexDoubleEdgeRazorBladeSharpener$6 004.jpg
TwinPlexDoubleEdgeRazorBladeSharpener$6 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cudgee

Re: My newest,"pencil sharpener".......

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote:Found this at one of my favorite antique stores today advertised as a pencil sharpener. While it does bear some resemblance to an older style hand cranked pencil sharpener there is no bracket to mount it to the wall(or your desk or whatever).I looked inside and knew immediately what it was:a tool for stropping old double edge razor blades.Fold out the handle to crank it.Pop the top and inside there are two rubber rollers that strop the blade.The blade is clamped between a bracket that is pulled out from the side and then inserted back into the housing(it has to be properly positioned)through a slot.As the crank is turned it strops one side of each edge and then flips it over and strops the second edge.
The paint was all chipping away so I started removing it all.Haven't decided whether to polish it or re-finish it in the original colors(gray and black). For $6 I think it was a pretty good deal.
Does it still work?
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cudgee wrote: Does it still work?
Very well as a matter of fact.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife7knut wrote:
cudgee wrote: Does it still work?
Very well as a matter of fact.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......that is so neat!!!..I used to try to sharpen them on my razor strop!!......still have scars!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .......................
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

carrmillus wrote:......that is so neat!!!..I used to try to sharpen them on my razor strop!!......still have scars!!!............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .......................
I think I remember attempting to sharpen them in a similar fashion and they usually snapped causing injury. The rollers inside are made of hard rubber.I have a small hand-operated grinding wheel in my shop with a hard rubber wheel that may have abrasive embedded in it and it will put a scary sharp edge on a knife in no time at all.The ones in the sharpener I believe are just meant to straighten out a roll in the edge;much like a steel is supposed to do with a kitchen knife.
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

amazing , i also found one at a local " consignment " shop advertised as a " PENCIL SHARPENER "
in that large font , and in the box , with instructions . for the total sum of $ 1.00 , no tax.
im constantly on the lookout for " good deals "
keep a sharp eye gents.
Brian
petesknives

Post by petesknives »

Very nice ::tu::
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I just inherited another,"pencil sharpener" from a very good friend of mine last weekend when I attended the Detroit Autorama. I participate in the Motor City Auto Art Mavens charity art auction and one of my fellow painters came up to me with it and said he had bought it at a flea market but had no idea what it was. He thought it was a pencil sharpener but couldn't figure out how it worked. When I told him what it was and showed him how it operated he was ecstatic.Thanks Wally!

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”