When you need just a,"little" shaver..........

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Steve Warden

Re: When you need just a,"little" shaver..........

Post by Steve Warden »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 pm
Papa Bones wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:20 pm
knife7knut wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:57 pm
I thought that logo looked familiar! I have a similar kit that I picked up years ago and use the nail clippers regularly.The razor blade package is in German.Here are a couple pics.
Great looking kit!! ::tu:: O.K. Inquiring minds need to know. What is the tang stamp on the gentleman's knife. ::super_happy::
It is just stamped,"Germany".A typical inexpensive plated knife likely from the 1950's.
Check the date code on your razor. That knife was probably made close to the same time.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 pm
It is just stamped,"Germany".A typical inexpensive plated knife likely from the 1950's.
Probably from the Solingin factory. I once read an article about the Solingin plant produced most of the stainless steel gentlemen knives for export and was the plant that also produce the Hugo brand gentlemen knives which used to be quite ornate. No matter, still a great kit you have!
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

This morning I shaved using the little Gillette travel razor. Put a new "Feather" brand blade in it. It is a very non aggressive razor. It was a learning process using a 2 inch handle, but gave a decent shave. Definitely a three pass razor. But it will be great to take the next time for travel. Will save a lot of room.

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Papa Bones wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:45 pm This morning I shaved using the little Gillette travel razor. Put a new "Feather" brand blade in it. It is a very non aggressive razor. It was a learning process using a 2 inch handle, but gave a decent shave. Definitely a three pass razor. But it will be great to take the next time for travel. Will save a lot of room.
Yup, very gentle razor capable of very good shaves.

C'mon, Man! "A lot of room"? You're saving millimeters and milligrams by traveling with that razor opposed to a full size razor. Do you really need the extra space? Do you really need the extra weight? ::poke:: Take what's comfortable to shave with! :lol:
Full size Ball End Tech, 6318, Travel Tech
Full size Ball End Tech, 6318, Travel Tech
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 pm

C'mon, Man! "A lot of room"? You're saving millimeters and milligrams by traveling with that razor opposed to a full size razor. Do you really need the extra space? Do you really need the extra weight? ::poke:: Take what's comfortable to shave with! :lol:
20200718_160525.jpg
Actually it's a little more than that. If I go with my old kit, it's an extra ditty bag with a razor, my small mug, brush, & blades. I do not carry an extra comb, just the one in my back pocket. I also don't use standard deodorant in a can, I use a crystal deodorant stick that is just under 2 oz. It's basically alum cornstarch & mineral salts. I can take this kit with a piece of Arko shaving stick inside, my deodorant stick and travel toothbrush held on the kit with a ranger strap and it will all fit in one of the pockets of my small backpack. When I travel by myself or camping for three or four days, I travel light. I don't carry luggage. I carry a small back pack, and possibly a flight bag. If I'm camping by myself, I'm usually taking my Kayak, so I have everything set up that my rods, gear, and supplies all fit in my Kayak, and gear crate on the yak. So yeah, saving as much space does help. But that's just me. I was in field support units in the military, we learned to travel light.

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

What the Heck is wrong with me? ::dang:: I don't need one of these!!! ::dang::
But Man they're pretty Cool! ::nod:: :lol: (See ya back here in a few weeks!) :lol: Just kidding though. :wink:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TPK wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 am What the Heck is wrong with me? ::dang:: I don't need one of these!!! ::dang::
But Man they're pretty Cool! ::nod:: :lol: (See ya back here in a few weeks!) :lol: Just kidding though. :wink:
Hey Tom. Merkur (a German company) makes a travel razor that takes the double edge blades like the Gillette razors shown.
I have one. Breaks down into four small parts. Gives a great shave. Should be pretty easy for you to find one.
::stir::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

TPK

Post by TPK »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:20 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 am What the Heck is wrong with me? ::dang:: I don't need one of these!!! ::dang::
Hey Tom. Merkur (a German company) makes a travel razor that takes the double edge blades like the Gillette razors shown.
I have one. Breaks down into four small parts. Gives a great shave. Should be pretty easy for you to find one.
Exactly the kind of information I need Steve. ::dang:: Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TPK wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:52 pm
Exactly the kind of information I need Steve. ::dang:: Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Just feeding your temptations! 😄
All together
All together
4 pieces
4 pieces
Almost no space at all
Almost no space at all
Because you need one. ::sneaky::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

TPK

Post by TPK »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:07 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:52 pm
Just feeding your temptations! 😄
20200719_130542.jpg
20200719_130236.jpg
20200719_130314.jpg

Because you need one. ::sneaky::
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::watching_you:: ::tease:: :lol:

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Merkur is a quality brand. I like them. I have a 15C and a 33C. Use the 15C mostly!!

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I have six, three of them are variations of the 34C HD (one is actually a 34G).
Loaded up with an Astra SP and I get the best shaves out of the 34 than any other razor.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:06 pm I have six, three of them are variations of the 34C HD (one is actually a 34G).
Loaded up with an Astra SP and I get the best shaves out of the 34 than any other razor.
I'm taking it the SP is the superior platinum? I've not tried them. Think I will. I usually use Feather brand. I like the performance of them better than the Gillette or Wilkinson's. I've had some recommend Viking, but I didn't think they shaved as close as the Feather. But I shall give Astra SP a shot!!

Smitty
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:21 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:06 pm I have six, three of them are variations of the 34C HD (one is actually a 34G).
I'm taking it the SP is the superior platinum? I've not tried them. Think I will. I usually use Feather brand. I like the performance of them better than the Gillette or Wilkinson's. I've had some recommend Viking, but I didn't think they shaved as close as the Feather. But I shall give Astra SP a shot!!
You've probably already discovered this about the different brands of blades - for every guy that loves brand X and hates brand Y, there's another guy that loves brand Y and hates brand X.

I've tried Feathers. Meh. For the price, I'll pass.
Sample packs of various brands are available on Amazon.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 pm
You've probably already discovered this about the different brands of blades - for every guy that loves brand X and hates brand Y, there's another guy that loves brand Y and hates brand X.

I've tried Feathers. Meh. For the price, I'll pass.
Sample packs of various brands are available on Amazon.
True about personal preferences. I've also not tried Merkur's brand. On the sample packs, was just looking at some on Amazon. One had both the Merkur Platinum and the Astra SP in the mix. So may get that one to try them out.

Smitty

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”