My old Sheffield

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Mario

My old Sheffield

Post by Mario »

This one still gets the job done. Strops well and keeps its edge. The handles were cracked when I first got it so I repaired them with superglue. I might make new handles for it at some point.
Attachments
43B63375-B9EE-4BC7-B883-8A96EE5621B2.jpeg
Steve Warden

Re: My old Sheffield

Post by Steve Warden »

Cool! Another straight razor user!!
I only use mine on Saturdays, a day I can take my time to really pay attention to what I'm doing.
I need to send them out to get a little spa treatment. While I can get an edge on a knife to shave arm hair, I'm not up to getting a razor shave worthy. Big difference between razor sharp and shave sharp.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Steve Warden wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 pm Cool! Another straight razor user!!
I only use mine on Saturdays, a day I can take my time to really pay attention to what I'm doing.
I need to send them out to get a little spa treatment. While I can get an edge on a knife to shave arm hair, I'm not up to getting a razor shave worthy. Big difference between razor sharp and shave sharp.
Putting an edge on a razor is a bit different than sharpening a knife. You need a set of stones that will go to at least 8k grit and that is marginal in my opinion. I take my edges out to a 12K finish. Been my experience that if a razor won't pop arm hair above the skin, it won't shave all that good. I set my bevels with a 1K and progress to 4k then 8k then 10k and finish with 12k and then strop. Older Sheffield blades are a bit harsh at 12k for a few shaves then they settle down. Newer razors (post 1900) do well right off the strop with a 12k finish.
If you want a stellar edge, I suggest contacting Glen Mercurio at http://gemstarcustoms.com/ . He is a very knowledgeable and capable razor sharpener and restorer. Good people as well. I've known him for a number of years.
If you decide you want to do your own, synthetic water stones are available and it will set you back around 300 to 400 bucks for a good set of Naniwa and chosera stuff. Shapton hones are awesome and even more pricey.
Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Owd Wullie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:51 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 pm Cool! Another straight razor user!!
Putting an edge on a razor is a bit different than sharpening a knife. You need a set of stones that will go to at least 8k grit and that is marginal in my opinion. I take my edges out to a 12K finish. Been my experience that if a razor won't pop arm hair above the skin, it won't shave all that good. I set my bevels with a 1K and progress to 4k then 8k then 10k and finish with 12k and then strop. Older Sheffield blades are a bit harsh at 12k for a few shaves then they settle down. Newer razors (post 1900) do well right off the strop with a 12k finish.
If you want a stellar edge, I suggest contacting Glen Mercurio at http://gemstarcustoms.com/ . He is a very knowledgeable and capable razor sharpener and restorer. Good people as well. I've known him for a number of years.
If you decide you want to do your own, synthetic water stones are available and it will set you back around 300 to 400 bucks for a good set of Naniwa and chosera stuff. Shapton hones are awesome and even more pricey.
Willie
Hey Willie. I have no desire to sharpen my own razors. Being only a once a week straight shaver, with the price of stones, it's cost prohibitive.

Yup, Glen is the only guy who has sharpened my razors. Just sent all my straights (I have seven I rotate through) to him last week. He's quick with his work, so I'm expecting them mid to late next week.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Excellent, I just bought 36 razors on ebay and waiting for them to arrive. I'll be giving my stones a workout from now till spring I fugure. LOL
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

You'll have to show 'em off when you get them.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”