Repair 101

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
knife7knut

Repair 101

Post by knife7knut »

Whilst going through my wooden machinists' tool box that houses my accumulation of razors and related paraphernalia,I came across one that I had isolated in a plastic bag due to the celluloid handles outgassing. They were still active and had put quite a coating of bright red rust on the blade and discolored the nickel frame holding the blade. I decided that it was time to see if I could repair it.
The pivot pin had corroded to the point that it broke when I opened the blade.Just made it easier to repair. Finished disassembling it and traced the handle pattern onto a piece of blue Plexiglass I had used in the past to replace small knife handles. Had just enough to make the handles.I saved the rear spacer as it was intact.
Drilled the holes for the pins and bolted the two handles together using some 2-56 screws and nuts. Ground the profile using my 1x30 belt dander and 5 inch disc and finished using a file and 220 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. Assembled the pieces for a trial fit and beveled the sides of the handles.Took it apart again and wet sanded them using 320 grit paper and polished with Mother's Mag wheel Polish.Re-assembled and ground off the excess length of the screws(about 1/8th of an inch)being careful not to overheat them and melt the plexi.A little of the heat sunk the nuts slightly into the handle and I beveled the sides of the nuts.Not perfectly smooth but no sharp edges.Still need to polish out some scratches in the Plexiglass but it's done enough for me.
This one was sort of a practice run as I have several other razors in need of handle repairs and one is ivory. I have a scrap piece of ivory that will just be large enough for handles once I slice it in two.
Here are some pictures of the finished product.I wish I had taken pics of it with the original handles out gassing.
Attachments
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsin1 001.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsin1 002.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsin1 003.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsin1 004.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsinDetails 001.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsinDetails 002.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsinDetails 003.jpg
Litt'sMulti-BladeRazorMadisonWisconsinDetails 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Repair 101

Post by royal0014 »

Looks like a good save, Ray . . . ::tu::

Kinda odd blade there. Is it meant to be replaceable ?
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very good save. ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s a good save Mr. Ray!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

royal0014 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 am Looks like a good save, Ray . . . ::tu::

Kinda odd blade there. Is it meant to be replaceable ?
Yes;it is similar to the Weck razors that have replaceable blades.To replace,open the razor and put the rear edge of the blade against something solid and pull on the handle. Blade slides out.Slide a new one in and push the forward edge against the something solid until blade is fully seated in the housing.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”