razor strops

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

razor strops

Post by buck16 »

Who do you guys think makes the best strop for the money?
OSCAR

Re: razor strops

Post by OSCAR »

I gave up on free hanging strops. The slightest twist will misalign the edge. I’m now using a paddle strip. It’s leather glued onto a wooden paddle so your edge stays true. I use a strop conditioning cream and green strop compound and I’m having MUCH better results.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

buck16 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:09 pm Who do you guys think makes the best strop for the money?
Depends on what you want it for mate, if it for a razor i have no idea, more qualified members here will be able to help you. But if it is for a knife, YOU will make the best strop for the money. I have done a lot of experimenting with strops, both hanging and fixed onto wood. I have a hanging strop that works so well and it cost me all of TWO dollars. Go into any thrift shops you go past or see, i think that is what you call them over there, where people donate goods and clothes they no longer require. I just fluked an really good quality cowhide leather belt that cost $2, i took it home cut it to the length i needed, cleaned it, rubbed a small amount of leather conditioner into both sides, and now have a good quality 2 sided hanging strop. Just take your time till you find the right good quality belt, you will know when you see it. :)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

For my straight razors I went down to a local saddle shop and bought some bridle leather and some coarse fabric. The owner cut me a piece 3 1/2 inches wide and using a large D ring made me a double sided strop that I’ve used for real years. I think he charges me $10 of $12 dollars.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

The strop I'm using is old but had never been used until me. It's very unusual and has a sentimental value to me so I need to be using something else. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”