Can razors be valuable??

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
espn77

Can razors be valuable??

Post by espn77 »

I have an opportunity to purchase some razors. I know literally zero about them other than people used to use them to shave with. I see most razors sell for $5-20 on ebay. If a person had a highly rare/collectable/desirable razor what can they be worth? Not talking about when 2 people just happen to be drunk on the same night bidding on an ebay auction. Is there a market for high end razors? Do people collect the memorabilia. What about hardware store display cases? Is there a big following or a pretty tight, small group of collectors? The ones I'm looking at in my view aren't the $5-$20 black handled razors. I appreciate any and all comments.
OSCAR

Re: Can razors be valuable??

Post by OSCAR »

Yes they can be valuable but I’m not knowledgeable enough about the market. I have several made by Dovo. They were purchased new, years ago, the cheapest was around $250. I’m a knife collector not a razor collector. I shave with a straight razor. Cheap razors have little to no value while quality ones can go for hundreds of dollars each. Again, I have no idea as to the desirability and value to a collector. And any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yessir, some razors can be valuable. I have sold a few fancy Case razors for $200-250 each but they were fancy razors in mint condition. Fancy celluloid, pickbone, ivory, and sterling as well as stag handled ones can bring good money but many razors have little value unless in mint condition. Plain slick black razors don't bring much unless by a rare maker. Ephemera is also collectable. I would imagine if you look on ebay under straight razors and go to sold items and arrange it highest priced first you might see some razors that went well over a hundred bucks. Really early (pre 1850s can bring good money too and they usually don't need to be mint. Collectors also like those big thick ones with blades one inch wide.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for the input. Just trying to feel out this area of collecting.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

espn77,
My son decided he wanted to shave with a straight razor several years ago. I had acquired several and gave them to him. He took them to a feller in Tallahassee the reconditions razors. That gentleman said one of the razors, a Wade & Butcher, was worth several hundred bucks.
That one was tuned up and Jr. shaved with it for a while.
You never know what you’ll find when you trade for a bunch of old razors. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:18 am espn77,
My son decided he wanted to shave with a straight razor several years ago. I had acquired several and gave them to him. He took them to a feller in Tallahassee the reconditions razors. That gentleman said one of the razors, a Wade & Butcher, was worth several hundred bucks.
You never know what you’ll find when you trade for a bunch of old razors. ::tu::
Treefarmer
::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

espn77 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 pm
treefarmer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:18 am espn77,
Treefarmer
::tu::
Treefarmer: if you have information on the guy that restores razor’s, can you please post it or message me? Stropping straightens and de-burrs edge. Sharpening requires a professional. Thanks. Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Oscar,
I’ll ask my son and let you know.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:32 pm Oscar,
I’ll ask my son and let you know.
Treefarmer
Thanks Treefarmer.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”