Any CSC Cannitler collectors out there? (PICTURE THREAD)

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any CSC Cannitler collectors out there? (PICTURE THREAD)

Post by edge213 »

philco wrote:::welcome:: whiteowl. Nice knife. I really like the chestnut handles and the story behind them.
What is the story behind them?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
whiteowl

Post by whiteowl »

Thank you for the welcome Phil! It's a great forum.
David, the story behind the American Chestnut used by CSC is summarized here ; http://www.droppointhunter.com/CSCAmeri ... tWoodStory
Here it the same wood used on a CSC Halfmoon Trapper
GEDC0612 (800x614).jpg
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

My only CSC Cannitler, covered in mastodon and 1 of 57
DSC_1676.JPG
DSC_1679.JPG
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Ted if you're going to have just one that's an excellent choice! ::tu:: ::tu::

Beauty!!!

Eric
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Winner winner chicken dinner
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

It's a shame there are no more being made.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a Cannitler listed on eBay that, based on the pictures, doesn't look up to the fit & finish standards typical of my experience with Canal Street knives. The seller is highly reputable, in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANAL-STREET-W ... 1438.l2649

Two things caught my eye: 1) the ragged bone around the shield inlay, 2) the serial number stamp on the bolster. Does this knife look below CSC standards to anyone else?
Attachments
CSC Cannitler condition concerns
CSC Cannitler condition concerns
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't own any Cannitlers anymore but I've owned 3 of them in the past. I can't be of much help but what I'm seeing is what looks like an authentic CSC Cannitler with some really bad finishing around the shield. Not sure about the serial number.

I know you consider the seller to be highly reputable but his listing states that the bone is chip and crack free. That is simply not true.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

At best what you have there would be considered a factory second or the original knife didn't have the shield and someone did a poor job of adding it.

Definitely not up to Canal Street Cutlery Standards by any means

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I do believe that's a legit knife, the serial number is in the right place and the paperwork looks correct. Not sure what happened with the shield cavity thought, it definitely isn't a nice smooth cut. Something tells me that yellow bone was brittle, hence the spun center pin. We usually hammered the centers on smooth handle material. That one came out a year before I started there so I really have no definitive answer, I think whoever was inspecting missed that detail. Nice example for a canittler collector though as I haven't seen any other CS's with that bone.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I own a twin to that knife but mine does not have the rough edges around the shield. Other than that they look the same.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Here's one
Attachments
20170305_110221.jpg
20170305_110310.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Love that Mother of Pearl.....

I do not know first hand but I was told that Canal Street hated using that handle material. The reason was because it is so brittle and they had a lot of damage.

Eric,

Can you confirm...this is what Wally and Uncle Harold said about the Mother of Pearl.

In any event, I love it!

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Tom, it was great to work with but the biggest problem was drilling, there was often a lot of flaking around the holes. I think there's a bit of a learning curve involved with pearl as to drill bit grinds, countersinks, etc.. It takes a good deal of finesse. I found that keeping it (the pearl, not the knives lol) in water helped a good deal. Smaller pin diameters would also have helped, but that would have required a scale redesign. The only pearls I worked on there were the coke bottle knives. I think the end product is definitely worth the headaches, it's gorgeous stuff!

ERic
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Eric,

I believe the biggest issue was cutting the hole for the CS Shields, according to Wally. I know I have a couple that don't have shields because of the problems countersinking for the shield.

Tom
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Are Cannitlers split back spring? Btw absouletly stunning knives I will eventually own a Canal Street knife.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Cannitlers are not a split backspring. They are 3 blades and 2 backsprings. The main blade is made from heavier / wider stock and rides on both backsprings. Each secondary blade sits on one backspring. This link should open a picture of the backspring of a Cannitler. I find the Cannitler to be a very nice blend of form and function. It looks good and it’s practical.

download/file.php?id=229273&mode=view
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Rather than use a split backspring we actually tapered the springs and coupled that with a tapered catch bit. Took a bit of engineering to get everything right ::paranoid:: :D

Eric

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”