Latest Canal Street Additions

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Latest Canal Street Additions

Post by doglegg »

It opens by turning the ring. Grasp the ring between you forefinger and thumb and twist. They are actually very easy to open. ::nod::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

doglegg wrote:It opens by turning the ring. Grasp the ring between you forefinger and thumb and twist. They are actually very easy to open. ::nod::
Exactly. I have a Schrade metal scaled knife in a green color that was my first ring-opener and it took me a little ::hmm:: to figure out how it worked. Ingenious design.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just picked up the CSC "Union Razor" knife with the blue rope bone handles. Beautiful knife, i like it, but the blade is terribly dull. I have never bought a new knife with such a blunt blade, ever, and that covers a lot of knives. There is an edge grind, both sides, but it looks rough using a loupe and the 2 sides do not meet to form an edge.
This knife is marked "Prototype" on the bolster. Perhaps it is standard practice to not put a real edge on a prototype knife ?
The problem for me is i do not like to own a knife that is not fully functional. This knife is not functional. It could not cut anything. If i try to sharpen it, my amateur efforts will show and the value will be halved. Quite a bit of steel will need to be removed because not only is the edge blunt, the blade is quite thick just above the edge. It needs thinning at the shoulders and a proper edge grind on both sides.
I have gone from pleasant anticipation to marked disappointment.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have received a very kind offer to 'fix' the edge grind from a CSC cutler. This will bring this knife up to 'perfect' and as it is being done by a CSC cutler it will still be 'all original'. Thank you Eric.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad you found a solution Roland. Having Eric work on it makes it even better imho. Glad for you. ::nod:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Prototype" marked knives are most often seen on knives associated with Jim Parker. These are fully finished knives marked "Proto" in an attempt to sell them for a higher price. This Union Razor knife is a real prototype, made to show the person who had ordered them (AGR in this case) to make sure all is o.k. before starting production.
What i have learned since buying it is that a true prototype does not get a full edge 'treatment'. It is not needed as a prototype is just to show what an order of knives will look like, not how well they will cut.
There is always more to learn in this fine hobby.
kj
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

2 LEFT G 10 CURLY MAPLE
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

boykinlp wrote:
FarSide wrote:
1967redrider wrote:When I was digging through my Tuna Valley knives I came across the Canal Street knives I picked up right when I heard they were closing shop. Really well-built and quality knives.
Wow, nice group there. Especially that Ring Opener ::tu::
For those of us who have never held one in hand, can one of you please explain to me how a ring opener knife works? Thanks. BTW, love all of the pictures!!
Here is what the Schrade version looked like, not sure if there are other variants? ::shrug:: I should have taken some pictures of the Schrade and the Canal Street together for comparison.
Attachments
IMG_20190717_220802443.jpg
IMG_20190717_220812847.jpg
IMG_20190717_220848410.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

1967redrider wrote:
boykinlp wrote:
FarSide wrote: Wow, nice group there. Especially that Ring Opener ::tu::
For those of us who have never held one in hand, can one of you please explain to me how a ring opener knife works? Thanks. BTW, love all of the pictures!!
Here is what the Schrade version looked like, not sure if there are other variants? ::shrug:: I should have taken some pictures of the Schrade and the Canal Street together for comparison.
There is a thread on here of ring turns.Bronze4u has a super collection. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26074&p=575317&hil ... es#p575317
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

doglegg wrote:
1967redrider wrote:
boykinlp wrote: For those of us who have never held one in hand, can one of you please explain to me how a ring opener knife works? Thanks. BTW, love all of the pictures!!
There is a thread on here of ring turns.Bronze4u has a super collection. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26074&p=575317&hil ... es#p575317
Nice, thanks doglegg! That one goes back to 2011. Charlie has a link there at the end that opens a 20 page and counting thread on Ring Openers.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Found a Canal Street doctor's knife in Amber Jig Bone recently. When they say "polished" they mean mirror polished. That stockman in reclaimed Chestnut posted earlier in this thread is polished to the point it reflects like a mirror. These gentlemen took pride in their work, gorgeous knives. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20190731_203520558.jpg
IMG_20190731_203535912.jpg
IMG_20190731_203630474.jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

redrider, that one is indeed a looker. You did well. ::nod:: ::tu::
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Looking good!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I think with all the hoopla over GEC knives, the Canal Street stuff got overlooked by many. I've been very impressed with them ever since I held the first one I bought and still carry today.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Just had this one show up in the mail..a CSC / Ka-Bar they call the scales Roofline Licorice Jig Bone, love that name.
CSC - KA-BAR SWING GUARD-3R.jpg
CSC - KA-BAR SWING GUARD-2R.jpg
CSC - KA-BAR SWING GUARD-1r.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

That sure is purty Doug. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks Phil, got another CSC / Union Cutlery on it's way. I'll post photos when I get it.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks Phil, got another CSC / Union Cutlery on it's way. I'll post photos when I get it.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Another great buy there Doug. You certainly have a nose for a bargain.
Tony. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I guess you could say I got roped by the blue rope. Ever since I picked up that Red Trout knife I have been looking for more of the blue rope jigging, and it is hard to find. I found this one and negotiated a fair deal, the seller's pictures not mine.
Attachments
Union-Canal Street Razor Folder1.jpg
Union-Canal Street Razor Folder3.jpg

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have the same 'One Arm' knife. The 'hook' at the tip of blade is too shallow to allow the blade to be opened by catching the tip on your belt. The piece scooped out of blade tip needs to be deeper.
Red, yours looks about the same as mine. Does yours open using the 'One Arm' method ?
kj
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kootenay joe wrote:I have the same 'One Arm' knife. The 'hook' at the tip of blade is too shallow to allow the blade to be opened by catching the tip on your belt. The piece scooped out of blade tip needs to be deeper.
Red, yours looks about the same as mine. Does yours open using the 'One Arm' method ?
kj
KJ, I'll let you know on Tuesday, that's when it's supposed to arrive. ::tu::

Here's what it looks like in the closed position.
Attachments
Union-Canal Street Razor Folder4.jpg
Union-Canal Street Razor Folder5.jpg

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kootenay joe wrote:I have the same 'One Arm' knife. The 'hook' at the tip of blade is too shallow to allow the blade to be opened by catching the tip on your belt. The piece scooped out of blade tip needs to be deeper.
kj
Got the knife and it does open using the one armed method, hooking it in your pants pocket corner. Maybe the kick on yours is shorter? Posting a picture of it along with it's brother from another mother, the Red Trout Boy's knife. I REALLY love that blue rope jigging! ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_20190826_190336148.jpg
IMG_20190826_190401388.jpg
IMG_20190826_190737599.jpg
IMG_20190826_190815983.jpg
IMG_20190826_190236672.jpg
IMG_20190826_190321827.jpg
IMG_20190826_200539166.jpg
IMG_20190826_190848113.jpg

Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Great combo Redrider. Love the Redtrout!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When i get back home in about 1 week i will take pics of my blue rope Union Razor knife. Not sure if blade sits a bit low or if the scoop out of the blade tip is too shallow.
kj

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”