Another sad day for us all

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Another sad day for us all

Post by 1967redrider »

My only Canal Street knives were our Club Knives but I picked up a few more after reading this news. I received this little history lesson with one "thank you" email;

John

Congratulations on purchasing a Canal Street Cutlery knife, and thank you for buying it through KnivesShipFree.com.

Whether you know it or not, you just bought a piece of American cutlery history.

The home of Canal Street Cutlery, a humble space in Ellenville, New York, once housed the New York Knife Cooperative, followed by two other cutlery companies. That means your new Canal Street knife came from a place where knives have been made continuously since 1848.

Canal Street knives are prized by collectors, and for good reason, but they're built to be used. They reflect the same tradition of craftsmanship that produced our grandfathers' knives—every Canal Street knife is made on a bench, one at a time, with over 140 hand operations, for people who recognize quality.

People like you.

Again, thanks for buying your Canal Street knife from us. You're going to love it.

Thanks for being our customer!
Derrick & Wendy Bohn

Much like the burning of the Cattaraugus building earlier this year, I hate seeing things like this happen to our knife history. Learning about the history behind knives and knife making, especially American knives for me, is one of the things I cherish about knife collecting. It is sad news.

p.s. I do not know the Bohn's but they seem to run a good business.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
okbohn

Post by okbohn »

I am really sorry to hear Canal St is going out. I love their knives.

Wally has always been a real gem to me.
Derrick

http://www.KnivesShipFree.com

Great Eastern, Canal Street, Northwoods, Queen, Schatt & Morgan, Many Great Knives. All in Stock!
:)
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

I too am saddened about the demise of Canal Street Cutlery. It was my privilege to be closely involved with Wally and the crew from 2009 to 2014. I was aware that the company had suffered some severe setbacks in the past year. Like Derrick and Phil Gibbs I had learned a lot from Wally, but I also had the good fortune to learn from the Cutlers there as well. Sad news indeed.
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
tank

Post by tank »

Breaks my heart. Wally was so good to me.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Collection
My Blog
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

At this sad time, I'd like to thank everyone at Canal Street and express my best wishes for whatever they do in the future.

Canal Street gave us 10+ years of mighty fine knives. I'll be using Canal Street knives and carrying a CSC folder for the rest of my life, as will several of my family and friends.

Will
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

okbohn wrote:I am really sorry to hear Canal St is going out. I love their knives.

Wally has always been a real gem to me.
Derrick,

Didn't realize you were an AAPK member! BTW- the knives I purchased on Wednesday arrived perfectly on Friday. Thanks for your excellent customer service! ::ds::

-John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Really is quite sad. There aren't many traditional making factories left out there in the US. Every time 1 closes, it's hard to swallow. And it just shows how hard it would be for a new company to try and start out.
Carl B.
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Their website is shut down
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
wlf

Post by wlf »

I hope Eric is able to continue his craft. Sorry for all who depended on CS . :(
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

Sad to hear this. I really hoped that they would make it.
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

The Canal Street Factory....located at 30 Canal Street, Ellenville, NY is officially closed as of Dec 15, 2015

I am truly saddened by this turn of events ::tear:: ::tear:: ::tear::

Tom
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Truly sad.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

So any word on if there are any plans going forward with CSC or another incarnation of it?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I believe that company is gone for good titan NV, all the equipment was sold off after the close.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I just hope Wally never sells the name to someone who will have Canal Street knives built overseas.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”