My first Canal Street..

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Chayes

My first Canal Street..

Post by Chayes »

I was either lucky enough to find this one or very foolish for what I paid for it but I now have my first Canal Street. This is an amazing knife! It's significantly larger than I expected but I have large hands so it fits perfectly. Nice rough stag scales with ths CS shield and a "1st Year" shield. The bolster even has the serial number engraved. I'm very impressed with this knife and can see myself owning more.
Attachments
First year anniversary issue.
First year anniversary issue.
Serial number 17.
Serial number 17.
2017-09-29 13.26.52.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My first Canal Street..

Post by philco »

That's a beauty ! The handle material is called "Dark Amber Staged Bone". It is bone that has been jigged, dyed, and crafted to look similar to real stag handles. The pattern is called a "Reverse Gunstock Stockman".
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

I feel lucky to have gotten it. You can see the serial number 17 inscribed in the bolster. I'm very pleased.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Canal Street also did a set of two knives that included your knife and another knife in a sweet little glass top display box. I am not home so I can't tell what the other knife was or show a picture.

Canal Street made some fantastic knives and I am a proud owner of over 300 of them myself!

Tom
KAW

Post by KAW »

Chayes, I know exactly how you feel.... I got my first Canal Street Cut. back in July... ::ds:: Can't stop showing off photos of it.... ::groove:: Probably running the risk of others gettin' tired of seeing it tho.... ::undecided::

Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the original box and that's always nice to have too.... altho I do have the felt pouch that came with it. I'm gonna try harder to get the complete package with the next one. Actually.... I think its pretty cool that your first is also a first year issue & such a low serial # & I do like those red stag lookin' bone handles a lot! 8) ::tu::

Mine is a 2013 4" Serpentine Stockman with a "mica Pearl" resin handle.... #34 of 200 made for A.G. Russell.... shown paired up with its ancestor.... a Schrade Cutlery Co. 4" Premium Stockman № 8803G with "Green Pearl" celluloid handle....
10054 10055

Hey.... I also see we have in common is that we are both new to AAPK.... ::welcome::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

That's a beauty ::tu::
Here's the set they sold. They came in a nice glass faced box like Chase said but the patterns are a Congress and a Whittler. I have the box in storage so I can't take a pic for you.
Nice score!!
Canal  Street 1st year.jpg
Canal Street 1st year-1.jpg
If you click on the pics they blow up. You can see they mirror polished the front of the blades and left the back side in as ground condition.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a pic I took off the interwebs of the knives in the case.
CS set.jpg
CS set.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Nice find Chayes! There aren't a whole lot of those reverse gunstocks around, nice hefty knife! Here's a shot of the Anniversary set with the blades open:
Canal Street Cutlery sets 3.jpg
Eric
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Beauty!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Cool piece thanks for the pics

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”