Moore Maker drop point by Canal Street?

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
RalphAlsip

Moore Maker drop point by Canal Street?

Post by RalphAlsip »

I would be grateful for opinions as to whether or not Canal Street made this Moore Maker branded drop point hunter. It is approximately 8" long and is a model 6101.
Attachments
Moore Maker Drop Point Hunter
Moore Maker Drop Point Hunter
ea42

Re: Moore Maker drop point by Canal Street?

Post by ea42 »

The Canal Street drop points had two large compression rivets in the handles, not the spun on pins. Their guard was also smaller. The knife in the photo definitely isn't Canal Street, maybe Queen?

Here are a couple of examples of Canal Street drop points, if I recall correctly I think the only one we made for Moore Maker was a mesquite handled one. Pretty certain I don't have one but I'll check tomorrow. Top knife is the older style. This one's a proto but they were just like it:
Canal Street Proto Fixed Blade 2.jpg
Next up is the newer style handled in moose, this is the style that was used for Moore Maker's mesquite knife:
CS DP Moose_382.JPG

Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Could be a Utica

Tom
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

ea42 wrote:The Canal Street drop points had two large compression rivets in the handles, not the spun on pins. Their guard was also smaller. The knife in the photo definitely isn't Canal Street, maybe Queen?

Here are a couple of examples of Canal Street drop points, if I recall correctly I think the only one we made for Moore Maker was a mesquite handled one. Pretty certain I don't have one but I'll check tomorrow. Top knife is the older style. This one's a proto but they were just like it:

Canal Street Proto Fixed Blade 2.jpg

Next up is the newer style handled in moose, this is the style that was used for Moore Maker's mesquite knife:

CS DP Moose_382.JPG

Eric
Eric, thank you for clarifying how the Canal Street drop point was constructed. ::handshake::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

My pleasure Ralph, I'm always happy to help ::handshake::

Tom, I think you're right, it looks exactly like Utica construction.

Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

here's a Moore Maker swell center trapper made by Canal Street
MOORE MAKER-1.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

My guess on the posted knife would be Queen. Though I don't think that Queen ever used that pattern for their own knives. Maybe they did?

Utica would be a guess, as others have said, but I have not seen Utica make any stag handled knives.

If it was my knife I would send pics to Moore Maker - they would probably tell you who made it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”