Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by philco »

kennedy knives wrote:Got word there shipping the Flannel Pinch Lock back ::tu::
Mine showed up on the back porch this morning. ::ds::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Got mine this afternoon ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Photo of Mine
Attachments
Canal , Moki, S&M Cheetah ,GEC 153113 EO 028.JPG
Canal , Moki, S&M Cheetah ,GEC 153113 EO 035.JPG
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Wow that's a beauty!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I can't believe it is February 2019 and I have not received a SINGLE email or communication of any kind, paid for in July 2018 for stag boys knife. Wally should really get his ducks in a row, doesn't seem to me to be the best business practice. Red Hill could also communicate something!? I don't make excuses for business' that can't deliver.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Montanaman wrote:I can't believe it is February 2019 and I have not received a SINGLE email or communication of any kind, paid for in July 2018 for stag boys knife. Wally should really get his ducks in a row, doesn't seem to me to be the best business practice. Red Hill could also communicate something!? I don't make excuses for business' that can't deliver.
Kris I contacted Josh Basham with Red Hill Cutlery and asked about the status of the Stag Boys Knife. Here's his response from 1-8-19.

"yes we are sorry for the delay on this, we are still expecting these in shortly, there was an issue on some of the blades.

as soon as we have an update we will let you know, sorry for the delay"
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

philco wrote:
Kris I contacted Josh Basham with Red Hill Cutlery and asked about the status of the Stag Boys Knife. Here's his response from 1-8-19.

"yes we are sorry for the delay on this, we are still expecting these in shortly, there was an issue on some of the blades.

as soon as we have an update we will let you know, sorry for the delay"
Thanks Phil, appreciate that. When I contacted Josh in late Nov or early Dec., it was another story. I am not upset, my mind is boggled at how Wally and Josh seem to feel this is acceptable business. I would be out of business if I treated my customers this way.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I had contacted RHC around Jan 24th. They said CSC had a bunch of blades out for heat treat, then grinding/assembly. They felt that CSC would have a few batches of knives going out to them in 2-3 weeks.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Greetings everyone! I've been sending out some updates regarding the long overdue Sheepsfoot knives and the desert ironwood clip knife. I want to offer a sincere apology for this crazy delay, it's all on me as I had an almost impossible time trying to cut nail marks in the blades. It seems we wound up with steel that was cold rolled and not annealed, which resulted in it being almost impossible to machine. This was all new to me so I had to do the trial and error thing trying to work it out. unfortunately there was initially a LOT of error. I sent a message to Larry last week and am copying it here as it pretty much explains everything:

"I really want to apologize for the ridiculous delay. I had tremendous problems trying to cut a nail mark in the steel. It was apparently cold rolled and not annealed, which is not what was initially ordered. Thanks to that it was incredibly hard. I went through several high speed steel cutters and one TiN cutter that I had to special order and still barely scratched the surface. The TiN cutter was especially problematic since I had ordered it in October and it didn't arrive until mid-December. Following that I had to go with a last effort by ordering a carbide cutter, and amazingly it cut the steel. That single issue is basically what caused this entire delay. Had I known this from the start I would have invested in the carbide cutter immediately, but I was unaware of the steel screw up until much later on. They're over $500 apiece! Honestly a lot of this a learning experience for me, especially with these modern stainless steels.
In hindsight I probably should have updated you guys, but seeing as how many problems piled on one after the other, it probably would have just seemed like a continuous stream of excuses. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't. I now have the blades back from grinding, and just finished dressing the tangs and backs along with swedging. All that's left is full polish and then assembling some knives! Again I'm very sorry Larry, six months is inexcusable."

I'm polishing the blades now folks, and should be putting stag on the liners by Wednesday. I'm hoping to have the stag knives completed some time around the beginning of next week, along with the ram's horn knives. Then I'll start right in on the ironwood clip blade knives. Here's a shot of the blades I'm working on now:
Sheepsfoot Blades.jpg
Just to be clear Red Hill isn't to blame for the delay at all, they've been just as anxious as everyone else. Any time they tried to give a timeline we wound up with another unexpected delay, like when I thought those TiN cutters would actually work. It was a real nightmare. I'm just totally relieved that it finally worked out, and again I want to apologize to everyone who's been waiting.

All the Best,
Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Thank you Eric for the update!

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

My pleasure Tom!

Got the blades polished, drilled the bolsters and did some preliminary forming on them. Tomorrow (Wednesday) I'll start putting stag on.
Shop Pics 2.jpg
Shop Pics.jpg
Shop Pics 4.jpg
Shop Pics 3.jpg
Eric
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks for the update, Eric. I look forward to seeing the stag and ram's horn knives! I know they will be worth the wait. ::ds::
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Got an update for you folks, finished up the stag knives today, just have to edge them in the morning and ship them out. Finally! I grabbed a few for a picture as I was buffing them. They're still full of compound but just wanted to give you an idea of how they look. I'll try to take a group shot tomorrow before I pack them up to ship.
Red Hill Stag Knives.jpg
Eric
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Oh Eric, now something else to be on the look out for. Love the blade shape and love the stag. Your work is nothing short of custom. Thanks for the preview. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

WOW

They look fantastic...Great Job once again Eric!

Tom
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Those look nice Eric, looking forward to mine. By the looks of them, you could build your own custom knives. I bought a Eric's Jack when they came out, gifted it to a random person one day, been missing it ever since. Thanks for your craftsmanship on these knives.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Kris and Tom, Here's one last shot of the whole gang taken just before I packed them up. Got one crazy popcorny knife in the lot, if any of you wind up with it post a pic:
25 stag knives for Red Hill.jpg
25 stag knives for Red Hill 2.jpg
Eric
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

WOW Eric, thanks for sharing. ::nod:: ::nod::
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

THEY MY KNIVES REDTROUT
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Not yet buddy, hold yer horses! :wink: :D :D
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

What a great looking bunch of knives.
Amazing craftsmanship.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Only wish I had bought 2 !

Looking great!
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

The stag on all of them looks superb to me! One thing I notice is the lack of a Canal Street medallion.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My stag Boys Knife arrived today. ::ds::

Included was a written apology for the delay from Josh Basham with Red Hill Cutlery.
Attachments
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Phil, looks like the wait was worth it. ::tu::

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”