Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Montanaman

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by Montanaman »

Those look nice Eric, looking forward to mine. By the looks of them, you could build your own custom knives. I bought a Eric's Jack when they came out, gifted it to a random person one day, been missing it ever since. Thanks for your craftsmanship on these knives.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks Kris and Tom, Here's one last shot of the whole gang taken just before I packed them up. Got one crazy popcorny knife in the lot, if any of you wind up with it post a pic:
25 stag knives for Red Hill.jpg
25 stag knives for Red Hill 2.jpg
Eric
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

WOW Eric, thanks for sharing. ::nod:: ::nod::
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

THEY MY KNIVES REDTROUT
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Not yet buddy, hold yer horses! :wink: :D :D
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

What a great looking bunch of knives.
Amazing craftsmanship.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Only wish I had bought 2 !

Looking great!
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

The stag on all of them looks superb to me! One thing I notice is the lack of a Canal Street medallion.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My stag Boys Knife arrived today. ::ds::

Included was a written apology for the delay from Josh Basham with Red Hill Cutlery.
Attachments
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4901.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Phil, looks like the wait was worth it. ::tu::
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Phil,
Your stag looks really nice. What is your over all impression of the knife?
Larry

Each one, teach one.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

philco wrote:My stag Boys Knife arrived today. ::ds::

Included was a written apology for the delay from Josh Basham with Red Hill Cutlery.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

boykinlp wrote:Phil,
Your stag looks really nice. What is your over all impression of the knife?
I like the knife a lot. It is extremely well built and feels rock solid in hand. Eric has worked his magic once again.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Looks great Phil, expecting mine on Friday.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I got my Stag Boy's knife today. It is first quality. The blade is centered and it has no gaps between the spring and liners or handles. Fit and finish is superb. I don't remember reading it in the description, but it also has half stops. In the box was a nice bag holding the knife, the typed description, and a golden Red Hills/Canal Street pin. Also, Josh Basham of Red Hill Cutlery wrote a nice letter apologizing for the long wait. Pretty classy, I thought.

I don't take pictures like a lot of you folks, but here is mine. My handles don't match real well, so it is good that you can only see one side at a time.:) The pull on my knife is perfect for me. I think Eric did a fantastic job on them! I am very glad I had enough patience to not cancel my order. Not having a medallion makes for a nice clean look too. Overall, for the price we paid, we got a terrific deal! I look forward to seeing everybody else's pictures. Since there are only 26 knives, maybe all the owners are on this forum and will post their knife.
Larry
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I got mine in today, and couldn't be happier!
csc stag1.jpg
csc stag2.jpg
csc stag3.jpg

Eric sure knocked it out of the park, great knife!
Frailer

Post by Frailer »

I received mine yesterday. I’m extremely pleased.
CB5CB89A-A5EE-4313-894D-641CF0A90EA9.jpeg
F2F6DA34-BA15-4F6A-AE45-16E880745819.jpeg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The CSC Boy's knives turned out nicely. Wonder if there is anything new in the pipeline?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glennbad and Frailer, a couple of great looking knives. Eric is a master. And welcome Frailer, glad you jumped in. ::handshake::
ea42

Post by ea42 »

RalphAlsip wrote:The CSC Boy's knives turned out nicely. Wonder if there is anything new in the pipeline?
Still working on some serious backlogs, but likely some time in the near future. Working on the desert ironwood boy's knives for Red Hill right now, then 50 SFO boy's knives for an un-named customer who I'm sure a number of you will recognize, then a gazillion knives for Moore Maker, and THEN we can finally start working on some new stuff.

Glad you like them Glenn and Frailer!

Eric
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpened up, a little Formby's on the stag, and in my pocket. Decent knife, snap to open improved with use and some Quick Release. Promptly dropped it in the mud, a little smaller than I am used to.
aapkCSC.jpg
aapkCSC2.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Last Friday (April 12) I received an email from Red Hill cutlery saying the order I had placed back on November 21, 2018 was now completed. At that time I'd ordered two Canal Street Co-op knives. I have already gotten one of the two knives I ordered but was still waiting for a Boys Knife with Desert Ironwood handles. I suspect I'm not the only one here who has been waiting for one of these.

I called Red Hill Cutlery today to see what was up since it's been nearly a week since I got the email and thus far the knife has not arrived here. The very nice lady I talked to said she had sent out that email in anticipation of that batch of knives being shipped to them and had been told they would be arriving at Red Hill last Friday. She told me the knives did not, in fact, arrive as she had expected and were still not in their possession although she thought they would be coming in today.

If you're waiting on one too, at least you don't have to wonder if the dog ate it or someone absconded with it off your porch. :roll:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

philco wrote:Last Friday (April 12) I received an email from Red Hill cutlery saying the order I had placed back on November 21, 2018 was now completed. At that time I'd ordered two Canal Street Co-op knives. I have already gotten one of the two knives I ordered but was still waiting for a Boys Knife with Desert Ironwood handles. I suspect I'm not the only one here who has been waiting for one of these.

I called Red Hill Cutlery today to see what was up since it's been nearly a week since I got the email and thus far the knife has not arrived here. The very nice lady I talked to said she had sent out that email in anticipation of that batch of knives being shipped to them and had been told they would be arriving at Red Hill last Friday. She told me the knives did not, in fact, arrive as she had expected and were still not in their possession although she thought they would be coming in today.

If you're waiting on one too, at least you don't have to wonder if the dog ate it or someone absconded with it off your porch. :roll:
Got 2 on the way thanks for the heads Up ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Thanks for the update. I got the same email and UPS tracking #. UPS says label had been made, but hasn't been shipped.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I saw a post from Eric that said the email from Red Hill was sent out by mistake. He had not even shipped the knives to RH yet. He hope to ship them today. Hope this helps.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”