Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by kennedy knives »

boykinlp wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Surprise Canal Street Co-Op Red Hill Natural Bone Boy's knife showed up today ::tu::
Looks good, got mine today too.
7DAB5D4D-6D4C-408C-A386-D20AAC7D0AE4.jpeg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

ea42 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:55 amStill working on some serious backlogs, but likely some time in the near future. Working on the desert ironwood boy's knives for Red Hill right now, then 50 SFO boy's knives for an un-named customer who I'm sure a number of you will recognize, then a gazillion knives for Moore Maker, and THEN we can finally start working on some new stuff.

Eric
Eric,
Any new knives coming any time soon? Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Larry it's gotten mighty quiet on this front. Not sure what's going on but my spydie sense tells me it might be quite a while before we see another one.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Over on BladeForums, Eric confirmed that after the co-op finishes current orders, it will shut down. ::tear::
All my co-op knives are Red Trouts.
RedToutGoup2.JPG
Mike
Matt_WY
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Matt_WY »

269E9792-71C3-4830-8662-77B10B417E43.jpeg
I believe one of the last co-op runs was some boys and trappers knives for Moore Maker. If I remember correctly Eric was involved with the desert ironwood knives. I picked up one of the boys knives. Price is a bit high, shipping costs are bordering on ridiculous, and shipping was extremely slow. But overall a very nice knife.
WTB: GEC\Plaza Cutlery 33 dog paw knife
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Matt it's good to see you snagged one. The ironwood for those knives was very exceptional. I've heard from a few people that the shipping was astronomical, I wonder what the reasoning was behind it. Even a Priority Mail box is just about $8 or so.

Eric
Matt_WY
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Matt_WY »

Eric did you also make the ironwood trappers? Ive been think of grabIng one of them. The shipping was a bit of a shocker. The other problem was no tracking info and it took nearly two weeks to arrive after I was notified it had shipped.

Will we be seeing any new knives from you in the near future?
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Matt I made the ironwood and ash boy's knives as well as the ironwood trappers. That'll be it for the Canal Street knives, working on my own right now. The blades and springs are at heat treat now so it won't be too much longer I hope. Starting out with a single clip blade jack, standard 3 3/8" length.

Eric
Matt_WY
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Matt_WY »

Exciting for you Eric. Hopefully I can pick up one of your inaugural knives! All the best of luck with this new venture.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric i think the demand will likely outstrip supply.
Have you figured out how you will 'market' and sell them ? Perhaps from your own website ?
If there is a reservation list, i and i'm sure a bunch of others here, would like to be on it. :)
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

ea42 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:54 pm Matt it's good to see you snagged one. The ironwood for those knives was very exceptional. I've heard from a few people that the shipping was astronomical, I wonder what the reasoning was behind it. Even a Priority Mail box is just about $8 or so.

Eric
That's the reason I have yet to buy a Moore Maker direct from them. My 3 7/8" Trapper was a Queen factory leftover, and my Double Lockback Trapper a second from Moore Marketing. They use the old fashioned method of shipping based on a tier, not the actual rates. And, can't you fit up to 3-4 pounds in a Small Flat Rate box?

Here's their shipping chart. A knife is going to, most likely, with packaging, be in the "0.999-7.5" pound category, as with packing, the average knife is gonna weigh about a pound. $14 is just freakin' nuts! I did a check on 0101LB, which is a carbon steel version of Bear and Son's 3 3/4" Zytel lockback. Weighs about an ounce. Their shipping was $14 based on the quote. Bear and Son asked only $6 (I buy all my Bear and Son knives factory direct). And besides, their version is $8 cheaper. So, I'm saving $22 by buying the Bear, whose MSRP is just $25. Between shipping and the knife, I'm looking at close to $50 for the MM version!
0 lb to 0.99 lb - $6.00

0.999 lb to 7.9 lb - $14.00

8.22 lb to 16 lb - $28.00

16.01 lb to 31.6 lb - $45.00

7.91 lb to 8.21 lb - $16.00

31.61 lb to 100 lb - $55.00

100.01 lb and up - $70.00

Default Rate - $16.00

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”