CSC Co Co-op - TANG STAMP

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

CSC Co Co-op - TANG STAMP

Post by Schradenut »

It has intrigues me that that the tang stamp hasn't changed on knives made in the Rede Hill Cutlery factory
I was imagining that the tang stamp would read "Canal Street Cutlery Co. Co-Op". As it is, the tang stamps are the same as when they were at Canal Street. My thoughts were that the tang stamp would reflect the new vernture and give us a "Co-Op" in the tang stamp and differentiate between the knives made in the two different cutlery factories.
I put this inquiry in another part of a CSC discussion, but i didn't get one reply. Hopefully one of you knowledgeable gentleman might have the answer to my question, and weigh in if you think this would be a good thing for CSC knives.
Just saying.
Tony.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CSC Co Co-op - TANG STAMP

Post by philco »

Tony I totally agree that a different tang stamp on the new Co-op knives would be desirable. Since the Co-op knives are planned as very short runs, I would think that the value of those short run knives would be enhanced if they could readily be differentiated from the original Canal Street Cutlery Co. production.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I know the box is different. It isn't the normal CSC box. Not the same as a different tang stamp, and I realize boxes can be switched around. Just thought I would let you know.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I totally support the notion and would go one step further to stamp a cutlers Mark on each co-op knife to further differentiate them since they are made in the cutlers workshop and not a factory. I'm sure all of this was considered and dismissed for one reason or another.

I like it when I buy a small batch bourbon and the distiller signs the bottle. YMMV
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Yes Phil, i concur wholeheartedly. These new batch of knives are so special that they should be easily identified as the years go by, to have come from one shop or the other. The guys that are experts can easily differentiate which knives came from where, but the other lot don't really know, and have to seek clarification from another sourse.
I am pleased that you guys are in sync with me on this. They are just such a special bunch of knives.
Tony.
paddlindan

Post by paddlindan »

I, too, would like to see the tang stamp on the Co-Op knives be different than the CSC Ellenville knives, rather than just have the paper information slip supplied with the knives note the difference. And, as mentioned above, I really like the idea of having the cutler for each knife identified in some way.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the methodology of folding knife manufacture. I assume 1) that the metal parts (blade, backspring, spacers, etc) are cast, forged, machine cut, and/or tempered as required in small batches; 2) handles of various materials are formed by a combination of machine and handwork to obtain the finished size and shape from blanks of the wood, bone, synthetic, etc; and 3) a skilled cutler then uses hand tools to finish and assemble the complete knife from the various parts.

When are the tang stamps punched into the blades? From pictures I've previously seen of the CSC manufacturing process, the stamps were in the blades before the blades were finished and assembled into a knife.

Is it possible that the blades (and other metal parts) for these early Co-Op knives are left-over stock from CSC Ellenville and that is why they have the CSC tang stamp? Or maybe Mr. Gardiner just doesn't have the money right now to create a new tang stamp die to use on the new blade blanks? I am still wondering why all of the Co-Op pinch blades are 154 CM and not D2, like the CSC knives. That difference in metallurgy seems to indicate the blades are new, and not old, left-over stock.

If my assumption about manufacture above is anywhere close to correct, perhaps the individual cutlers that are part of the Co-Op receive the finished and semi-finished pieces of the knives from Mr. Gardiner and then finish and assemble each knife on their own. They blades are stamped when the cutlers receive them. This might also explain why a few of the Pinches have only two pins on the heel end and others have 3. (Note the picture of the newly shown flannel micarta Pinch on the RHC web-site only shows 2 pins.) Different cutlers may decide on how many pins are required to adequately attach the handle.

Just guessing...and wondering...and enjoying well manufactured knives....
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I guess everyone knows that Red Hill Cutlery has 2 models in now . ::tu::
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I too believed that we should have a Co-Op Tang Stamp, however, this is not the case.

I talked with Wally Gardiner and he has no intention of changing the Tang Stamp to reflect Co-Op. He didn’t come right out and say it, however, I believe it is due to a number of factors:

1. He already has the Canal Street Tang Stamps in 3 different sizes
2. A new Stamp would be additional costs involved and he is trying to keep costs down
3. Canal Street Cutlery is a Brand Name and it is owned by Wally Gardiner.
4. The Co-Op is just that, a Co-Op and it is an LLC company
5. The LLC is producing Canal Street Cutlery Knives…..

The LLC is comprised of (3) People right now….Wally as the Owner, Eric as a Cutler and one other Cutler (Not sure if I can give his name so I will leave that out)

There is also some speculation from folks that the different cutlers should have their own Makers Mark……That is also not going to happen.

I am sure that this all as clear as mud, but it’s the best I could come up with. These are my Opinions/comments and these are not Wally’s words specifically.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Tom

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”