Help identifying handle material

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Coreysbu

Help identifying handle material

Post by Coreysbu »

I was looking through my knives today, and pulled this knife out. I remember buying this knife to use when going camping. It was sold to me as having a wooden handle. After looking ar it again, I think it could be some kind of bone. Anybody have any insight? Looks like the older model of the CSC drop point.
Attachments
20190428_144018.jpg
20190428_144038.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Help identifying handle material

Post by kootenay joe »

The handle is wood. Someone who knows CSC well can likely ID what species of wood it is.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Corey I believe that's giraffe bone. That's an early model so I'm not sure who it was made for, by I'd say they didn't make a whole lot of them with that bone as that's only the second one I've seen.

Eric
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Thanks Eric & KJ, I thought it was wood for the longest time. I think the cracks and color make it look like wood. It's lack of grain made me think it could be something else.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! Did i ever get it wrong !
But, it does look like wood to me, even now knowing it to be bone. I see hints of curved 'grain' that i associate with a burl in wood.
Hopefully i am not the only AAPK'er who was fooled by these handles ?
kj :oops:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Look at the handles with magnification (the higher the better). If you see the haversian canals (the minute tubes which form a network in bone and contain blood vessels) then the material is bone. Other materials, i.e. Delrin, wood, ivory, etc would not have haversian canals. They show up as little dark spots. Refer to the image shown below comparing bone to Delrin.
Attachments
Comparison Bone (haversian canals) vs Delrin.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am sure the haversian canal dots are there but i cannot see them in the O.P. pictures.
kj
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

I'll see if I can find a magnifying glass and take a closer look when I get home. I know you can only see so much from a few pics.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Is there a number on the bolster? I think I see one.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Hey Larry, #088
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Corey from what I can gather here, what you have is amber camel bone. That was used twice very early on, once in an edition of 25 knives for Cumberland knife Works, and another time for A.G. Russell in a set of two knives; the hunting knife and a small stockman. Yours is likely from the set since your serial number is too high for the Cumberland edition.

Eric
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

Thanks Eric. Mind blown.

Do you have some kind of inventory list or are you the three eyed raven of Canal Street? (Apologizing for the Game of Thrones reference in advance)
Coreysbu

Post by Coreysbu »

... and here's a pic that may be consistent with the little dark spots that Jerry was referring to.
Attachments
20190430_145814.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Definitely bone. Very Nice!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Coreysbu wrote:Thanks Eric. Mind blown.

Do you have some kind of inventory list or are you the three eyed raven of Canal Street? (Apologizing for the Game of Thrones reference in advance)
Eric is a cutler for Canal St Coreysbu ::nod:: .. it’s great that Eric is a member here... so his info is better than a 3-eyed raven :lol:

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”