Red Trout Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
ea42

Red Trout Knives

Post by ea42 »

Hey folks, just wanted to send you a heads up to let you know that Red Trout knives just got 55 new sheepfoot blade boy's knives in. Don't know when he'll be listing them but you can likely go to his store and give him a call for the info. Blade steel is 1095 on this batch. 32 different handle materials. Here's a pic (my only one, I never seem to have time to take any pics ::dang:: ), this one's sarsaparilla jigged bone. It has a crack in it so it needs some new clothes:
Red Trout Sheepfoot.jpg
Red Trout Sheepfoot 2.jpg
Red Trout Sheepfoot 3.jpg
Eric
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Red Trout Knives

Post by edge213 »

ea42 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:03 pm Hey folks, just wanted to send you a heads up to let you know that Red Trout knives just got 55 new sheepfoot blade boy's knives in. Don't know when he'll be listing them but you can likely go to his store and give him a call for the info. Blade steel is 1095 on this batch. 32 different handle materials. Here's a pic (my only one, I never seem to have time to take any pics ::dang:: ), this one's sarsaparilla jigged bone. It has a crack in it so it needs some new clothes:

Red Trout Sheepfoot.jpg

Red Trout Sheepfoot 2.jpg

Red Trout Sheepfoot 3.jpg

Eric
The handles are beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks David! Forgot to mention that I don't know anything about pricing or shipping info, you'll have to get in touch with him on those matters. I'm just the guy with the hammer :D

I do have a list of what was made though:

Blue Rope Jigged Bone - 4
Lemon Peel Jigged Bone - 1
Box Elder Burl - 1
Aberdeen Jigged Bone - 1
Snakeskin Micarta - 2
Brown Pick Bone - 1
Merlot Wormgroove Bone - 2
Khaki Pick Bone - 1
Stag Jigged Bone - 3
Popcorn Stag Jigged Bone - 1
Crimson Red Kirinite - 1
Orange/Red Kirinite - 1
Grey/Red Kirinite - 1
Katalox Wood - 2
Bocote Wood - 2
Curly Maple - 2
Green Smooth Camel Bone - 3
Abalone with Clear Acrylic - 3
Green and Brown Linen Micarta - 3
Brown Dyed Sambar Stag - 2
Sambar Stag - 1
Elk Stag - 1
Mahogany Jigged Bone - 2
Butternut Jigged Bone - 1
Sunset Jigged Bone - 1
Green -n- Brown Jigged Bone - 1
Brown -n- Amber Jigged Bone - 1
Dark Red Pressed Stag Jigged Bone - 1
Black -n- Red Jigged Bone - 1
Red Jigged Bone - 1
Salmon Jigged Bone - 1
Basket-weave Jigged Bone - 2
Sarsaparilla Jigged Bone - 3

Plus whatever I put on the above knife as I'm out of the sarsaparilla bone. Most likely stag jigged bone.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Can I get a blue Rope jigged bone, Eric? ::pray:: PM me. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

PM sent John ::tu::

Eric
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Amazing knives Eric. Would love to have one
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jay! Here's Rich's contact info right off the label. Definitely best to call him rather than email. They'll also likely be trickling in to his store as he photographs them. Let me know if you snag one!
Red Trout Box Proto.jpg
Eric
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks E
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Just sent a PayPal to Richard, they're going for $136.00 including shipping. ::tu::

Get 'em before they're gone! ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
KAW

Post by KAW »

I just got back from an appointment I made to see the knives in person as I reside nearby...
When I spoke to him & his daughter on the phone earlier today, he only had ten left. When I got there the pile was down to 6.
This is the one that came home with me.
11895 11894
His daughter said the phone orders have been coming so fast, they never got time to take photos to post them online.
There's no slip in the box that identifies the handle material. Since there were two of these side by side & going by Eric's list,
I'm assuming I got one of the Mahogany Jigged Bone.
[Edit at 7:26pm} Just looked at the label on the end of the box where it says Mahogany Jigged Bone.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Ken nice choice! There should be a sticker on the end of the box that says what the handles are. At least there was one when it left here lol. We must be nearly neighbors. I'm just past Middletown, hand delivered the knives to Rich this past weekend.

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

ea42 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm Ken nice choice! There should be a sticker on the end of the box that says what the handles are. At least there was one when it left here lol. We must be nearly neighbors. I'm just past Middletown, hand delivered the knives to Rich this past weekend.

Eric

Thanks for your hard work, Eric! ::tu:: ::tu::

KAW

Post by KAW »

ea42 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:27 pm Ken nice choice! There should be a sticker on the end of the box that says what the handles are. At least there was one when it left here lol. We must be nearly neighbors. I'm just past Middletown, hand delivered the knives to Rich this past weekend.
Thanks Eric... I discovered the label right at the time you posted.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got another blue rope jigged Red Trout knife. Got a picture of one that Eric said was made by Schrade w/ the same blue rope jigging. I think these knives are better this year. Not sure what’s different but I think the quality is a bit better.
Attachments
IMG_3078.jpeg
IMG_3081.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking pair, Sharpnshiny. ::tu:: ::tu:: I hope to have a similar set soon.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:20 pm Got another blue rope jigged Red Trout knife. Got a picture of one that Eric said was made by Schrade w/ the same blue rope jigging. I think these knives are better this year. Not sure what’s different but I think the quality is a bit better.
I love the rope jigged blue bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
GeorgeCAtl

Post by GeorgeCAtl »

Received the Popcorn Stag Jigged Bone today. Very Pleased :D
sheepsfoot 2.jpeg
sheepsfoot 1.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great looking stag. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is just incredible. Nice choice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The blue rope jigged sheepfoot showed up today, fits in nicely with the other two I have. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20200601_195621358.jpg

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice group of knives. Love that blue rope jigging.
wingerac
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by wingerac »

Received these two yesterday - I'm absolutely thrilled with both of them (my first Red Trouts and Canal Streets) ...
opZ8TKN (1).jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

wingerac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 am Received these two yesterday - I'm absolutely thrilled with both of them (my first Red Trouts and Canal Streets) ...
opZ8TKN (1).jpg
Is that the Snakeskin Micarta? That is really nice. Eric really had a lot of different covers.
-Tim
wingerac
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by wingerac »

Yes, it's the Snakeskin. It's pretty neat stuff, there were a ton of interesting choices.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wingerac wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:14 pm Yes, it's the Snakeskin. It's pretty neat stuff, there were a ton of interesting choices.
AAPK member Chase showed me a knife with that Snakeskin Micarta on Monday last week, it really is some pretty cool looking scale material. ::tu::

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”