Red Stag Trapper

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
Barry Billings

Red Stag Trapper

Post by Barry Billings »

Hi y'all, I'm needing some info on this CS knifes. The gentleman that I bought it from knows I'm that I'm looking for answers on this site. He is selling his late father-in-law's collection and does not know a whole lot about the knives. I was concerned about this knife never owning a CS that the shield side of the knife has polished blades and the back side were not polished out, the same on both blades. Any other info would be great. Thanks!
Attachments
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Red Stag Trapper

Post by 1967redrider »

Eric is your guy for all things Canal Street, I'm sure he'll see this. I have some Canal Streets that are only mirror polished on the Mark side, not that uncommon with CS. Maybe Eric will tell us why. ::nod::

Gorgeous knife for your first post. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Barry that's the way Canal Street did their early knives. Polished mark side, satin finish pile side. It was the way a number of old cutleries did their blades so Canal Street was trying to mimic the old ways with that method. Nice knife for sure and definitely legit. Canal Street didn't make a lot of those red stag knives, probably under fifty of each pattern. Looks like you have a pretty low serial number on that one. ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ea42 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 pm It was the way a number of old cutleries did their blades so Canal Street was trying to mimic the old ways with that method. N

Eric
Eric you beat me to it. ::tu:: Before more modern polishing methods like rag wheels and tumble polishing were common many old cutleries “crocus polished” only the mark side of blades. The pile sides often were not polished but had what’s called a glaze finish, which is not a “mirror” polish.

Beautiful CS knife BTW! Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bosie

Post by Bosie »

some people use to sharpen just the pile side of the blade.
Barry Billings

Post by Barry Billings »

Thanks guys, your comments are a big help.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”