Colonel Coon Barlow

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
prairiedog

Colonel Coon Barlow

Post by prairiedog »

This is my first Colonel Coon...very pleased with it...wondering if it was made in the 70's or 80's...if there's any way to tell?? Thought there might be variations that would make it distinguishable. Really like the history of the brand along with the craftmenship. Any feedback appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Re: Colonel Coon Barlow

Post by reddirtknives »

Nice stag ::tu:: And I'm a big fan of the barlow Jack. Them coon experts are hard to come by round here. Queen Cutlery might have some of the old records still. ::tu::
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hard to tell from your pics, if you could provide clearer pictures of the tang stamp, someone might be able to narrow your details down for you. I can tell you that in 2006 SMKW purchased the name and has been having Queen Cutlery make the knives since then.
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Ok, I'm gonna make a somewhat educated guess here and say it's probably from the mid 1980s and not a Queen made later Barlow. Going strictly from what I can see, the stag used, the blades used and the tang stampings and is that a PATPEND stamp on the pen blade?
Love all Jacks
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Its an original...better yet.....it's stag ::tu:: ::drool::
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yep a Mr. Adrian Harris original. The first man to be named a field repairman for Schrade knives in the US in 1976, later to be a named an authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J A Henkels in the US! In 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in Columbia Tn.
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Ten short years and a lot of developing processes that are still used today in the knife industry. 1978 to 1988, Mr. Harris sold everything to WR Case in 1988 and it was over.
Love all Jacks
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Thanks for the feedback...and yes, that is a patent # on the pen blade. I was pretty sure the knife was an original one...now I have confirmation. ::tu:: Hoping to see more photos, posts and examples of Mr. Harris's work in the future. Thanks again for the info and response.
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

I believe that I have the same knife pictured above, bought this so many years ago, it came with a wood like paper box, on top of the box (Colonel Coon) with Red Lettering and on the end of one side of the box it states a hand written B S I assume its means Barlow Stag. Can someone confirm that this is a real McCoy? Thanks!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

You should definitely take some photos and post them to be sure.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

My SD card slot don't work :( and the picture mentioned above is pretty much the same except my explanation about the box :D
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

That Barlow is SO pretty. 8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

My new CC Barlow. Not of the classic period but the F&F, no doubt by Queen, is first rate. I prefer single blade barlows so this one fits me to a T.
P1010584.JPG
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

LDF Knives wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:24 am My SD card slot don't work :( and the picture mentioned above is pretty much the same except my explanation about the box :D
I now have a picture of this same Colonel Coon as above, in my LDF Knife Store it's a Beaut!!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

prairiedog wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 pm This is my first Colonel Coon...very pleased with it...wondering if it was made in the 70's or 80's...if there's any way to tell?? Thought there might be variations that would make it distinguishable. Really like the history of the brand along with the craftmenship. Any feedback appreciated!
.....love the stag handles on that one!!......I only have 1 Col. Coon, a standard whittler, and it is stag, just not as pretty as yours!!!!.................... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: .................
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Colonial made Coon knives if it has Pat. # on it that's where that one came from probably.....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
macanxierty

Post by macanxierty »

I have a Colonel Coon 2014 IKC knife and I think it was made by SMKW. It has two blades and I would like to know what the handles are made of.
Attachments
CO2Blade.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

macanxierty wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:56 pm I have a Colonel Coon 2014 IKC knife and I think it was made by SMKW. It has two blades and I would like to know what the handles are made of.
Bone, probably cow.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Such a beautiful knife :shock: love stag ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Knivolf

Post by Knivolf »

That is an extremely fine looking barlow, in my opinion. What's the size on that beauty?

Return to “Colonel Coon”