Grandfathers colonial knife

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
strickland20

Grandfathers colonial knife

Post by strickland20 »

This was my grandfathers knife and I don't know much about it. It says colonial prov. USA
Attachments
image.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Grandfathers colonial knife

Post by djknife13 »

Hi and welcome to AAPK. Your knife is a low end knife as far a collectability is concerned but as a family treasure it's value is probably much greater. It doesn't appear to have seen much use so either your Grandfather had another knife or two, or just didn't use a knife for anything beyond opening mail. You could clean up the blades a little with the lead end of a #2 pencil and make it look a little fresher or put it in a drawer as it is and let it serve as a remembrance. ___Dave
strickland20

Post by strickland20 »

Thanks
The past couple years I've been going to flea markets and knife shows collecting (Schrade case buck ) but I've been wanting to learn more and what to look for so I found this site.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Hi and welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: Follow this link to the Colonial post by BonfireBob. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 87&t=32527 His family started the Colonial Knife Co. Bob passed away sometime ago. He was a very nice guy! Good luck! The search for info on any knife is a rewarding adventure! You may want to re-post your question over there.

Randy
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

What these guys said. And welcome to AAPK
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Your fortunate to have a knife from your grandfather!! It's priceless in that regard.

Not worth much however.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Clean it up, oil it up, and use it with grace.

Think of your grandfather when you carry it.

Bob
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

It's a small Dog-leg Jack, cannot tell in your picture but it looks to be the size of a Peanut Knife - nice little jack for light duty and light carry in the front pocket. As someone already said - oil it - drop on each blade tang. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Colonel Coon”