Colonel Coon Question: How to date a Colonel Coon?

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
Jeepgal

Colonel Coon Question: How to date a Colonel Coon?

Post by Jeepgal »

Hi everyone. I am new to Colonel Coon knives. I don’t even own one. But I would like to start collecting them. I would like to know what ways you can know the year/ date. Any input is most appreciated.
Thank you for your time
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Colonel Coon Question: How to date a Colonel Coon?

Post by Quick Steel »

Jeepgal, welcome aboard. ::handshake:: Hope someone will eventually come along with some info to help you out. Keep in mind that we are always happy to see photos of any knives you may have.
mnstuff

Re: Colonel Coon Question: How to date a Colonel Coon?

Post by mnstuff »

Original colonel coon knives were made between 1978 and 1992. In 2006 smokey mountain knife works re introduced Colonel Coon knives made by queen they are still in production today.The latest knives look a lot like the originals. However if you are trying to date original coons it is hard to date specific years.Many club knives have dates on them and most non club patterns were made throughout the entire production operation so narrowing down certain years is almost impossible. Hope this helps!

Return to “Colonel Coon”