Colonel Coon 679S info

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
lrlangley89

Colonel Coon 679S info

Post by lrlangley89 »

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting. I’ve recently acquired a Colonel Coon 679S that, I believe, is near mint. Until today, I didn’t know a thing about these knives, and I still don’t know much. Any info would be awesome (age, materials, value, etc.)
Attachments
B2520FC2-4B93-4D2F-B33B-AE1D7A973F1C.jpeg
B923B4EF-0689-4EF4-BA1E-4E9F98CF2DD9.jpeg
E6EC35F2-4098-43C1-99C4-32AB62171D8D.jpeg
DFADEA1A-D076-4ED5-A145-1CC8CE11E9BC.jpeg
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Re: Colonel Coon 679S info

Post by geocash »

lrlangley89 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:13 am Hey everyone. This is my first time posting. I’ve recently acquired a Colonel Coon 679S that, I believe, is near mint. Until today, I didn’t know a thing about these knives, and I still don’t know much. Any info would be awesome (age, materials, value, etc.)
Welcome to the right place. I'm no knife expert but I believe you have a well-regarded original. I'd be tickled pink to acquire one like that. Somebody with credibility will come along shortly. Don't let them drool on it.
geocash
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: ::welcome:: Sorry, I dont know that much about Colonel Coon knives other that the connection to Adrian Harris who passed away over the weekend. The one you are showing is a nice one!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
lrlangley89

Post by lrlangley89 »

Thanks guys. I’m anxious to learn more about it.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Add me to the list of know-nots.
I do know one thing about that knife - it sure is a looker!
Welcome to AAPK!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I've always wanted to add one of these Colonel Coon knives to my collection. They were made from 1978-1988 (USA, Tenn.). Sort of custom knives made by Adrian Harris. The ones I've seen over the years were very well made knives. Mr. Harris worked for Schrade and later became the only authorized repairman in the U.S. for Kissing Crane and Henckels.

Below is an excerpt from the following website: http://www.colonelcoon.net/
Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrian A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife, In 1980 he devised his own chemical milling process for custom etching the blades, along with this he developed a packaging process which included a hinged paper box which is still being used today. By offering this packaging system and custom etching to knife dealers this help start the trend of " the commemorative knife " In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
lrlangley89

Post by lrlangley89 »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:31 pm Add me to the list of know-nots.
I do know one thing about that knife - it sure is a looker!
Welcome to AAPK!
Thanks Steve.
lrlangley89

Post by lrlangley89 »

RevolverGuy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm I've always wanted to add one of these Colonel Coon knives to my collection. They were made from 1978-1988 (USA, Tenn.). Sort of custom knives made by Adrian Harris. The ones I've seen over the years were very well made knives. Mr. Harris worked for Schrade and later became the only authorized repairman in the U.S. for Kissing Crane and Henckels.

Below is an excerpt from the following website: http://www.colonelcoon.net/
Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrian A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife, In 1980 he devised his own chemical milling process for custom etching the blades, along with this he developed a packaging process which included a hinged paper box which is still being used today. By offering this packaging system and custom etching to knife dealers this help start the trend of " the commemorative knife " In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
Thanks for the info. Anyone have a clue as to the value?
mnstuff

Post by mnstuff »

The handle material is of coarse stag . They made that pattern ( stockman ) throughout the entire production 1978-1988. It also came in rosewood 679w and bone 679b. As for a more accurate date of manufacture the labeled box was discontinued in 1982 . They went to a printed box throughout the rest of production.Price is subjective but range between 225 to 325. Hope this helps.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Lots of great knife info here, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Colonel Coon”