Original Filet Knives

Colonel Coon Knives were made by Adrain A. Harris, Mr. Harris started making fixed blade knives as a hobby in the 60's, in 1976 he became the only authorized field repairman in the U.S. for Schrade, a few months later he became the only authorized repairman for Kissing Crane and J.A. Henckels in the United States, in 1978 he founded Tennessee Knife Works Inc. in his home town of Columbia, Tenn. and began making Colonel Coon Knives the old style a true bench made or handmade pocket knife. In 1988 he sold his manufacturing processes to W.R Case & Sons and retired.
tallgirl

Original Filet Knives

Post by tallgirl »

I have acquired bone handled and stag handled filet knives over the years. It's my understanding that very few were made. I've recently been approached about buying a filet knife with a TN mussel shell handle. I've never seen them listed in a sales brochure from TN Knife Works. Any thoughts on these knives?
Attachments
Filet knives - horizontal.jpg
Filet knives - vertical.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Original Filet Knives

Post by carrmillus »

....are those col. coon marked??...never see them before if they are!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ........................
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

I have seen the bone and stag fillet knives but not a mussel shell. I do have some other mussel shell coons however. E-mail sent
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Interesting pieces ::tu::
tallgirl

Post by tallgirl »

A follow-up to my original message - as some advised, the claim of mussel shell handles was not true. Here is the knife I bought which I feel confident is from Adrian Harris and TN Knife Works. Although disappointed with the handle, I was very happy to get a leather sheath which has the logo stamped. The knife blade has the name of one of Adrian's friends engraved in the place of the traditional logo. I spent a very enjoyable hour on the phone with this gentleman who, like anyone who knew Adrian, had lots of stories to share. Typical experience with Colonel Coon knives - lots of history and you never know what you have until you get it!
Attachments
Filet Knife - 2020 purchase.jpg
Filet Knife & Case - 2020 Purchase.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats on a great experience and a great knife. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Colonel Coon”