German Bulldog knives

Charlie Dorton brought the Bulldog Brand to life in 1978. He began importing them from the Olbertz factory in Germany until 1987. The brand went extinct for a few years until Jim Parker bought it in 1991 and resurected the brand under the Parker Knife Co. umbrella where the brand is still going strong.
User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm
Quick Steel, your comment about not many people collecting Bulldog Brand knives rings true with me also. I surmise that only the generations that actively saw Bulldogs being produced and crafted can appreciate what collections they have...

....Yes, Loose Arrow, there are more knives for us if there isn't much demand for what knives are out there, but there is a down side to that too....Bulldog Brand can fade away from memory to younger generations. Who will keep this hobby alive and demand for this nitch brand of knife? I am now seeing more and more new collector friends that haven't heard of Bulldog Brand before and that is sad to me I could see Jim Parkers legacy knife brand fade away in a few more decades.
I still collect Bulldog Knives with a passion and am now into my 25th year with them. They have given me much joy in their pursuit of patterns and exotic handles. May a knife be in your pocket at all times...good day to everyone on this forum...you are all my collecting family!
::not_worthy::
25 years, wow! I was only 18 then and I only recently got bit... I can only hope to help keep it around just like a good dog should be kept, posterity thru preservation.
Thank you for your thoughts you've shared ::tu::

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:49 pm

Quick Steel wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm
Nicely stated Targetman and your analysis is spot on. I feel very fortunate in that I only discovered BDs about 4 years ago. I picked one up, did not recognize the brand, and committed to give it to someone. Before letting it go I looked it over very carefully and was impressed. One more purchase and I was hooked. Still another and I was convinced I had discovered something quite special in the world of pocket knives.

As you point our, low production numbers inhibited widespread knowledge of the brand. A knowledgeable writer years ago maintained that for a brand to develop collector interest required production runs of around 4 to 5 hundred.

Prices have held up and for some of the more interesting patterns have gotten too high for me. In fact I recently saw one listed for near a thousand dollars. Rather overly ambitious pricing I think. I have the same model acquired at less than half that amount about 18 months ago.

I do speculate on the future of my collection. I want them to arrive safely into the hands of someone who will appreciate these little treasures of workmanship.
🤑🤑
Yup, crazy ambitious! Are you referring to the 5 blade anniversary trappers in MOP?
Appreciate you stopping by ::tu::
::nod::

User avatar
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 12350
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Lebanon, KY

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Quick Steel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm

That's the one LA. Better hurry. Only about a week left to pick it up. :)

Targetman
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Targetman » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm

Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Attachments
0512200946-1.jpg
0512200943a.jpg
0512200943.jpg

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm
Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Awesome! I'm driving and I had to pull over just to look ::woot::

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Quick Steel wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm
That's the one LA. Better hurry. Only about a week left to pick it up. :)
I got one already ::super_happy::
Attachments
20200814_160736_HDR.jpg

User avatar
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 12350
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Lebanon, KY

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Quick Steel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm

LA, I know; just thought you would like another for your other pocket.

Targetman, talk about jaw dropping. My jaw hit my belt buckle.

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:06 am

Quick Steel wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm
LA, I know; just thought you would like another for your other pocket.
🤑🤑🤑 I'm already trapper rich🤑🤑🤑
😂😂😂
I currently own 7 of them, this MOP, a Brian Yellowhorse custom, two stags, two brown jigged bones and a smooth red bone.

Hideaway Knives
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:45 pm
Contact:

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Hideaway Knives » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Love the designs great pics!

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Hideaway Knives wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:40 pm
Love the designs great pics!
::tu::
Thanks! Feel free to stop by anytime ::handshake:: .

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Here's one of my unique 20ths that I own. ::nod::
Attachments
20201002_143937.jpg
20201002_144231.jpg
20201002_144044.jpg

User avatar
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 12350
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Lebanon, KY

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Quick Steel » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 pm

Very nice photos LA. It must take great skill to produce a knife like that without any blade rub. That was one of the things that impressed me when I started collecting BDs.

Targetman
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Targetman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm

Very good looking knife. Back in the day, there were several knife clubs scattered across the country that would have Jim Parker create annual Bulldog Brand knives for their club members. Old Dominion knife club was one of them. They ordered Bulldogs as a club knife for many years. They are located in Bedford, Virginia.

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Targetman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm
Very good looking knife. Back in the day, there were several knife clubs scattered across the country that would have Jim Parker create annual Bulldog Brand knives for their club members. Old Dominion knife club was one of them. They ordered Bulldogs as a club knife for many years. They are located in Bedford, Virginia.
Thanks! ::tu::
I have these other two too, the 20th's blades are plain except for the club etching and the gunstock is from '82.
Attachments
20201209_141536.jpg
20201209_141623.jpg

User avatar
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 2:03 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by carvin don » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 pm

::tu:: ::tu:: ... very nice!
Don

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:49 am

carvin don wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 pm
::tu:: ::tu:: ... very nice!
Thanks! ::handshake::

User avatar
JoKr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by JoKr » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Sowbelly Stockman
Bullddog Brand Sowbelly Cuttin Horse stag bone.jpg
_ ̡̡ ̡ ̡̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡̡ı̴̡̡-̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡ ̲̲͡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡ ⛵️̡ ̡ ̡ ̡̡ ̴̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̲̲͡-̲̲̲̲͡͡͡-̲-̡̲-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̡̡̡̲̲-̡-̴̡ı̴̡̡-̡_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡*̡̡ı̴̴̡̡ ̡̡ ̡

ISO AAPK #86 Forums Knife 2021

User avatar
Loose Arrow
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am
Location: USA

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 pm

JoKr wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:43 pm
Sowbelly Stockman

Bullddog Brand Sowbelly Cuttin Horse stag bone.jpg
Beautiful pair! ::tu::
Great photograph too, thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
Attachments
20211113_072552_HDR~2.jpg

User avatar
JoKr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by JoKr » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:55 pm

Loose Arrow wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 pm
JoKr wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:43 pm
Sowbelly Stockman

Bullddog Brand Sowbelly Cuttin Horse stag bone.jpg
Beautiful pair! ::tu::
Great photograph too, thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
thnx, same to you ::tu::
_ ̡̡ ̡ ̡̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡̡ı̴̡̡-̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡ ̲̲͡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡ ⛵️̡ ̡ ̡ ̡̡ ̴̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̲̲͡-̲̲̲̲͡͡͡-̲-̡̲-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̡̡̡̲̲-̡-̴̡ı̴̡̡-̡_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡*̡̡ı̴̴̡̡ ̡̡ ̡

ISO AAPK #86 Forums Knife 2021

Post Reply

Return to “Bulldog Brand Knife Collector's Forum”