1st Generation Butter and Molasses Sowbelly Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
rlhbusl

1st Generation Butter and Molasses Sowbelly Knives

Post by rlhbusl »

I'm trying to positively identify the following knives. If anyone can confirm or correct me, I sure would appreciate it. Also, any additional information you can provide about these knives (particularly the third one) would be good too!

1) I think this 3 blade sowbelly is BKC# 355, a 1st generation knife, with dark butter and molasses handles, club shield, and Cuttin Horse etching:
Dark Butter and Molasses.JPG
2) I think this 3 blade sowbelly is BKC#356, a 1st generation knife, with butter and molasses (not dark) handles, club shield, and Cutting Horse etching:
Butter and molasses.JPG
3) I think this is single blade sowbelly (BKC unknown) is a 1st generation knife, with dark butter and molasses handles, the club shield, and Cuttin Horse etching:
Dark Butter and Molasses single blade.JPG

Thanks for the help!
Ryan
rlhbusl

Re: 1st Generation Butter and Molasses Sowbelly Knives

Post by rlhbusl »

Can anyone confirm that the handles on the 1st and 3rd knives are dark butter and molasses? Or, could they be tortoise? Or, coon stripe? Thanks again for the help! Ryan
rlhbusl

Post by rlhbusl »

The copy of Pocket Knife Trader's Guide volume 9 arrived today and I was very disappointed to find that it did not contain Bulldog Brand knives. I have read many of Hukks post on the General Forum but can't find any information on these knives or the ones I described in the other post. If anyone can provide any information I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Ryan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Ryan I'm far, far from an expert on Bulldog knives but the first and third knives posted look to me to be immitation tortise shell handled. Now maybe Bulldog had a different termanology for them but that is what they look most like to me. Good luck in your quest for information.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

The 1st knife is BKC#354, tortoise, The 2nd knife is BKC355, Dark Butter&Molasses, the 3rd one is not in the book, probably put together with spare parts. There are a lot of these kind of knives around, some have "one of ??" on the blades, some don't have. It is interesting that the 2nd knife books extremely high in the new books. This is an oversight, no doubt confusing it with the rarer BKC356 butter@molasses knife of which only 24 were made. In Tony Foster's book BKC355 only books for 90.00. This is a more realistic figure as 300 were produced. This was pointed out to Jim Parker early on but I suppose he didn't want anyone to think he had made a mistake. Your tortoise looks to be in great shape, most have gassed really bad. I hope this helps.
Tom
rlhbusl

Post by rlhbusl »

Thanks for the information Tom. If you, or anyone else, is interested in buying several 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation Sowbelly Bulldogs, please email me at ryanharrison@sbcglobal.net and I will send a list of what I have with pictures. Otherwise, I'll just gang on to these for another 10 or 20 years. Ryan

Return to “European-made knives”