help with a dog

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
ironmage

help with a dog

Post by ironmage »

Until I git the two of them through the mail thees are the best pic's I have.I hope some one "olderddog"could tell me if thees where made as a 2nd gen.It looks to me to have a two dog head stamp but I cant tell.They where sold as 2nd gen bulldogs.Either way I am glad to have got them I just hate to wait till they git hear through the mail to fined out.I would love to have a BKC# for thees as well.
Attachments
bulldog stag.JPG
bulldog stag.JPG (38.6 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
bulldoghorn.JPG
bulldoghorn.JPG (41.38 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
tank

Re: help with a dog

Post by tank »

AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Collection
My Blog
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Well Thank you.That was the first place I went.I hope olderdog or some one can tell me more about the knives.I just got incontact with the seller and it is a dbl dog head stamp so they are 5th gen not 2nd like advertised.But I still got a great deal on them and I'm very happy.
tank

Post by tank »

Well if they're 2nd Generation they were made in 91-92.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
My Collection
My Blog
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Well thank you tank for the info.I got to talk to the guy and found that they are the two dog head stamp so that makes them 5th gen I think.I usually don't buy any dogs made after 3rd gen butt it was a real good deal and I was the only bidder so I got them real cheap.I have now took interest in the new knives"Bulldog USA" that are bin made by GEC I think and they are some fine looking knives.
tank

Post by tank »

They are very nice. Have you seen the Queen made Bulldogs? They're up there Schatts in quality.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
My Collection
My Blog
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I think you guys are on the right track with these knives. Those knives with the double dog stamp are really pretty nice knives. I have seen a few that are excellent quality. They were made at the Olbertz factory on Germany where the 1st generation knives were made.
Gec is producing some good bulldog knives I am sure as I have some other knives produced there and am very impressed with them.
Tank refers to the bulldog knives that were produced by Queen. Most of these knives were 3 blade sowbelly whittlers with natural bone and stag handles and he is correct that the quality is there. It is interesting to note that Queen was producing the Case Classic knives around the same time and the quality is very similar. These were made in 1995 and had the fighting dog stamp. ::tu::

Tom
tank

Post by tank »

Hi Tom. The models I have were made in 2008 through 2010. Here are 4 out of the 5 models produced.

http://www.myknifecollection.org/queenknives.htm

https://picasaweb.google.com/OlegKonkov ... 9369811346

Oleg is using photos of my knives in his collection for some reason.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
My Collection
My Blog
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Tank,
Thats good information for me. I am not knowledgable on the newer knives by bulldog at all. I would say that the Queen knives would be very nice. Those look like super quality. I just have had no experience with them. Thanks for the info. ::tu::
Tom
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Well thanks to both of you guy's.Once again you have loaded me up with some good information.I do not have any of the Queen made knives but from what I have seen they look to be great quality.The new Bulldog USA made by GEC are very fine knives.

Tank,What was the other Queen made bulldog pattern?One was a sowbelly.I cant seem to find any info on what the other pattern was.
tank

Post by tank »

I'm not sure. They made 5, the sowbelly may be the one I haven't seen.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
My Collection
My Blog
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

IM,
If you are referring to the other pattern that Queen made in 1995-96 it was a whittler pattern also but not a sowbelly whittler. It had the standing dog "cicra 1996" and not the fighting dogs stamp. I had a few of them, I believe most all if not all were celluloid and I would imagine a lot gassed, I know the ones I had did. Not a real good collectable and I would imagine that is why you don't see them. Hope this helps.

Tom
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

olderdogs1 wrote:IM,
If you are referring to the other pattern that Queen made in 1995-96 it was a whittler pattern also but not a sowbelly whittler. It had the standing dog "cicra 1996" and not the fighting dogs stamp. I had a few of them, I believe most all if not all were celluloid and I would imagine a lot gassed, I know the ones I had did. Not a real good collectable and I would imagine that is why you don't see them. Hope this helps.

Tom
I sure did Tom,thanks.Are all the celluloid bulldogs bad about that?I have some end of day Roosters and I wounder the same about them.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

IM,
I am speaking only to bulldogs and not fight'n roosters although people tend to group them together. They actually had quite different celluloid handles. I will start with the bad and go from there. The worst is "tobacco brown" which was on a Kentucky Derby sowbelly. I have only seen one that didn't gas, most are toast. Next is "Tortoise", or Light Tortoise. Most are completely gassed, a few did survive. Next worse is "Red Sparkle" , really bad to gas. Now to the shrinkers, "End of Day" will not gas but shrinks bad. "Imitation Abalone" shrinks bad also. Now for the good celluloid. "Dark Butter & Mollasses" Dark tortoise" Coonstripe" Old White" Old Marble" Green Pearl" Purple Swirl" Gold Dust" Gray slate" Molasses" These are generally no trouble at all.
If I have left any out, let me know and I will tell you how the handles holds up. I hope this helps.
Tom
ironmage

Post by ironmage »

Your the man to ask Tom and that is why I did.Thanks for the info.

Return to “European-made knives”