ist gen Bulldog stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
knifetime

ist gen Bulldog stockman

Post by knifetime »

Is this what it was suppose to be?A 1984 Bulldog.Is the stag right.Thanks for any thoughts on it.
P.S. Tom PM sent to you Sr.
Attachments
DSCF0262.JPG
DSCF0264.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
robinetn

Re: ist gen Bulldog stockman

Post by robinetn »

Looks good to me . I can't tell from the pic , but it should say stainless underneath "handmade" on tang of master blade . (BKC#299)

Bob
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

TY,it don't have the stainless stamp it is carbon and has the date on it"1984" sorry for that.
Is the stag right?I have heard that it should be samba deer stag? To me that looks like Euro deer stag.
It is great looking stag to me but is it right for the knife?
BKC299, Thank you.
Attachments
Bulldog Brand 1984stockman51.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

I thought that they used Euro stag during that time and I have seen only stainless blades on Cowboys Pet knives . Many were stamped 1984 , but not released until 1985 . I guess that Tom will be along later to clear this up . ::shrug::
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I answered the PM but since Bob commented I will here also. I do believe they used that stag on some of the Cowboy's Pets and also the 1984 Ky. Derby stag knife. I believe those were the only two. The rest had Sambar stag.
Bob, I agree with you that that knife should have a Stainless stamp somewhere and is not carbon steel. The 2nd generation Cowboy's Pets had the stainless up right below the etch but the 1st generation had it on the tang stamp. If in fact it is not marked stainless then it in my opinion is not a true 1st generation Cowboy's Pet.

Tom
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thanks guys.
Well it is not marked stainless.It has the date on the small blade and the main blade is marked "Bull Dog Brand,hammer forged, Solingen Germany"all three blades have the two fighting dog logo.
So Tom none where made in tool steel?Or where there any made that where not marked stainless?
sharpen your knife !!!
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

I have had these that the word stainless was virtually impossible to see . Sometimes you could move the blade toward the closed position and barely make out the edge of the last "s" in stainless . Charlie Dorton is a good friend and partner of mine and I will try to remember to ask him about the possibilities concerning this knife the next time we talk . He is , however , like me , getting a little short in the memory department ! ::dang::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thanks robinetn.I sure would appreciate it.
sharpen your knife !!!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I don't believe any were made that were not stainless but like Bob said a lot of times it is hidden by the bolster and you have to move the blade to see it.
That being said anything is possible but if is not there I would tend to think the knife was NOT an original 1st generation knife.
Cowboy's Pets were the only 1st generation Bulldog made with Stainless Steel blades. Humor me a little bit and look real close again for that stainless mark. :)

Tom
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I sure will Tom.My eyes are not that great anymore.
sharpen your knife !!!
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

I talked to Charlie today and he confirmed that he only had these made with stainless blades , but he wasn't sure about the stag . He said that they started using Euro stag but it was not well received and they changed to sambar but he couldn't remember if the change affected the Cowboy's Pet knives .

Bob
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

robinetn wrote:I talked to Charlie today and he confirmed that he only had these made with stainless blades , but he wasn't sure about the stag . He said that they started using Euro stag but it was not well received and they changed to sambar but he couldn't remember if the change affected the Cowboy's Pet knives .

Bob
Well thanks Bob for the info good or bad I was glade to git it.

One more question for you.What blade would the stainless mark be stamped on that knife.On some of mine they are on the back of all blades and on 2 I have the stainless is only stamped on the back of the main blade.I do not have another Cowboys pet to compare it to, so I wounder just how the others are all tang stamped?Thanks Phillip
sharpen your knife !!!
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

It should be stamped "stainless" underneath "HAND MADE" which is beneath the fighting dogs on the front of the tang of the main blade . As I mentioned before , you may only be able the see the edge of the last "s" in stainless and then you may have to move the blade toward the closed position to see that much .
Bob
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I don't see it Bob.Thanks for your info.
It seems to be a lot of work to do that cowboys pet etch to forge a $50.00 knife don't it.
sharpen your knife !!!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLDOG-GREEN-B ... _201wt_884

That STAINLESS being hidden or nearly so on the 1st generation is why I bet Parker moved it up on the 2nd generation. ::tu::

Tom
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hello Tom and Bob,how are you all.
I have went looking for more information on this subject and I have found other examples of the Cowboy's Pet in carbon steel although most where done in stainless.I have checked this knife against several examples and it is marked perfect in every way.Now for the stag,which was the original question,most of the stag examples that I can find that where made in 1984 where the Eur stag.
I have also found knives that where stamped"stainless"on the back of the sheepfoot blade.see pic
Mine don't have it nether place and there is some light spotting on the tops of the blades.
Could you imagine going through the work it would take to reproduce that etch and getting it perfect,just to fake a modern day knife,I think not.I think more likely it may be reworked.IE a parts knife or a 1990s Parker Knife that are not 1st gen but made from 1st gen parts.
Thanks to you all for the information and keep on posting.
Attachments
909_41099_1351021771_2.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Ok, a little Cowboy's Pet info.
As you stated, most of these have the Euro Stag. However not all did, some had the beautiful Sambar stag and some even had Torched Stag. The stag knives were actually made on 2 frames. A regular frame, like the one pictured, and a Slimline frame the same length but much slimmer. Almost all of the slimline frames has the Euro Stag.
Now getting to the Gold Dust knife you have in the picture. Definitely a true 1st generation as it is the regular Gold Dust and not the DARK goldust. Parker only had the Dark Gold Dust and any knife with the regular Gold Dust handles is a 1st generation knife not produced by Parker.
As a little test on the carbon steel. which I still question, a drop of Gun Blue on a stainless blade will just run off and it will turn a carbon steel blade black. If you try this I am still betting it runs off and doesn't discolor it. The 2nd generation knives Parker had were indeed reverse frosted etched as evidenced by the knife I posted with the Stainless in the etch. Also blades were dated with the old dates which started in 1983 with the 2nd generation tobacco congress knives. They are 1983 dates but different stamps.
Also of note are the 2nd generation 1983 dated peacock mooses which had long pulls and a different Peacock etch. Again these etches and the pulls were done post 1991. So by no means were all second generation knives assembled from all old parts as some will lead you to believe.
I know this rambles but I hope the info helps with your bulldog collecting.

Tom
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Lots of good info Tom,thanks again.
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I should say that I'm sure you are very right and thanks for tacking the time to answer my question.I do believe it is SS.
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hello Tom I have another question for you. This 5 blade sowbelly in dark brown bone, is dates 1993 so would it be 3rd gen or are they made of old parts and are a 4th gen?
Attachments
$T2eC16JHJFsFFS!EHvHTBRZtPnW,1Q~~60_1 (1).JPG
$T2eC16JHJFsFFS!EHvHTBRZtPnW,1Q~~60_1 (1).JPG (32.26 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
sharpen your knife !!!

Return to “European-made knives”