ist gen Bulldog stockman

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
knifetime

Re: ist gen Bulldog stockman

Post by knifetime »

Hello Tom and Bob,how are you all.
I have went looking for more information on this subject and I have found other examples of the Cowboy's Pet in carbon steel although most where done in stainless.I have checked this knife against several examples and it is marked perfect in every way.Now for the stag,which was the original question,most of the stag examples that I can find that where made in 1984 where the Eur stag.
I have also found knives that where stamped"stainless"on the back of the sheepfoot blade.see pic
Mine don't have it nether place and there is some light spotting on the tops of the blades.
Could you imagine going through the work it would take to reproduce that etch and getting it perfect,just to fake a modern day knife,I think not.I think more likely it may be reworked.IE a parts knife or a 1990s Parker Knife that are not 1st gen but made from 1st gen parts.
Thanks to you all for the information and keep on posting.
Attachments
909_41099_1351021771_2.JPG
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Ok, a little Cowboy's Pet info.
As you stated, most of these have the Euro Stag. However not all did, some had the beautiful Sambar stag and some even had Torched Stag. The stag knives were actually made on 2 frames. A regular frame, like the one pictured, and a Slimline frame the same length but much slimmer. Almost all of the slimline frames has the Euro Stag.
Now getting to the Gold Dust knife you have in the picture. Definitely a true 1st generation as it is the regular Gold Dust and not the DARK goldust. Parker only had the Dark Gold Dust and any knife with the regular Gold Dust handles is a 1st generation knife not produced by Parker.
As a little test on the carbon steel. which I still question, a drop of Gun Blue on a stainless blade will just run off and it will turn a carbon steel blade black. If you try this I am still betting it runs off and doesn't discolor it. The 2nd generation knives Parker had were indeed reverse frosted etched as evidenced by the knife I posted with the Stainless in the etch. Also blades were dated with the old dates which started in 1983 with the 2nd generation tobacco congress knives. They are 1983 dates but different stamps.
Also of note are the 2nd generation 1983 dated peacock mooses which had long pulls and a different Peacock etch. Again these etches and the pulls were done post 1991. So by no means were all second generation knives assembled from all old parts as some will lead you to believe.
I know this rambles but I hope the info helps with your bulldog collecting.

Tom
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Lots of good info Tom,thanks again.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I should say that I'm sure you are very right and thanks for tacking the time to answer my question.I do believe it is SS.
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hello Tom I have another question for you. This 5 blade sowbelly in dark brown bone, is dates 1993 so would it be 3rd gen or are they made of old parts and are a 4th gen?
Attachments
$T2eC16JHJFsFFS!EHvHTBRZtPnW,1Q~~60_1 (1).JPG
$T2eC16JHJFsFFS!EHvHTBRZtPnW,1Q~~60_1 (1).JPG (32.26 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
sharpen your knife !!!

Return to “European-made knives”