Looking for a few low run Bulldogs

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Looking for a few low run Bulldogs

Post by zeke8 »

Great collection! I don't think you will have any problems with the Bulldog celluloids if you store them in the way you have the rest of your knives. One other thing I forgot to mention, is to dampen a cloth with mineral oil and wipe the celluloid. This will help shrinkage and possible cracking. I had two knives develop a crack a couple weeks back. The reason I took the plunge and purchased the celluloids, is that they are all low run, 1 of 1, or unlisted or documented knives. I have plans to post pictures of my whole collection by each frame on the AAPK site once I get them cleaned. I have several pictures posted already, but I have acquired several more in each group. I need to update. Have a good night.
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks for the info, Rick. Mine has great walk & talk and the dark brown bone, serial #017, so from 1982 I take it.

https://imgur.com/DgXtx4N
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Yes, the Coal Miner etch was released in 1982, and is considered to be a 1st generation knife. There are a couple other factors that separate the 1st release knives and the 2nd release knives I forgot to mention. Besides the release dates there are four different etches. The very first stockman was released in 1978 and had Pit Bull Terrier as the etch (28 made). Also in 1978 there was a 3-3/8" stockman released with the same etch as the larger frame (11 made). The rest of the first release knives, release dates of 1979 and 1980, had the Pit Bulls Trademark etch. The second release knives from 1982 had Bulldog Brand as the etch. The etch change was made to differentiate the 1st and 2nd release knives. The last of the 1982 knives, as you know had the Coal Miner With Pick & Shovel etch. I included some pictures to help my explanation. If you want, I would be happy to take pictures of the knives I have for a visual description? Just let me know.
Attachments
20180712_185838.jpg
20180712_185911.jpg
20180712_190034.jpg
20180712_185959.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

black mamba you got your self a mighty fine knife. Congrats!

Zeke8, What is the publication that those pages come from?
zeke8
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by zeke8 »

Thank you. Were you able to see the different etches from the book? I happen to have both the 3-3/4" and the 3-3/8" knives with the Pit Bull Terrier etch. I know of only two of the large frame and three of the smaller knife. In my opinion the two knives are the unicorn of the Bulldog knives. The book with the picture of the knives and descriptions is "The Pocket Knife Trader's Price Guide volume 8 (2007)". There are nine books total. The books were written by Jim Parker. The information in the sheets was put together by Tony Foster and others in 1990. It contains more information than the books. If you would like I can send you a copy of the Tony Foster pamphlet. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Rick
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

PM sent.

Return to “European-made knives”