German Bulldog knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Loose Arrow

Re: German Bulldog knives

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:38 pm Quick Steel, your comment about not many people collecting Bulldog Brand knives rings true with me also. I surmise that only the generations that actively saw Bulldogs being produced and crafted can appreciate what collections they have...

....Yes, Loose Arrow, there are more knives for us if there isn't much demand for what knives are out there, but there is a down side to that too....Bulldog Brand can fade away from memory to younger generations. Who will keep this hobby alive and demand for this nitch brand of knife? I am now seeing more and more new collector friends that haven't heard of Bulldog Brand before and that is sad to me I could see Jim Parkers legacy knife brand fade away in a few more decades.
I still collect Bulldog Knives with a passion and am now into my 25th year with them. They have given me much joy in their pursuit of patterns and exotic handles. May a knife be in your pocket at all times...good day to everyone on this forum...you are all my collecting family!
::not_worthy::
25 years, wow! I was only 18 then and I only recently got bit... I can only hope to help keep it around just like a good dog should be kept, posterity thru preservation.
Thank you for your thoughts you've shared ::tu::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:30 pm Nicely stated Targetman and your analysis is spot on. I feel very fortunate in that I only discovered BDs about 4 years ago. I picked one up, did not recognize the brand, and committed to give it to someone. Before letting it go I looked it over very carefully and was impressed. One more purchase and I was hooked. Still another and I was convinced I had discovered something quite special in the world of pocket knives.

As you point our, low production numbers inhibited widespread knowledge of the brand. A knowledgeable writer years ago maintained that for a brand to develop collector interest required production runs of around 4 to 5 hundred.

Prices have held up and for some of the more interesting patterns have gotten too high for me. In fact I recently saw one listed for near a thousand dollars. Rather overly ambitious pricing I think. I have the same model acquired at less than half that amount about 18 months ago.

I do speculate on the future of my collection. I want them to arrive safely into the hands of someone who will appreciate these little treasures of workmanship.
🤑🤑
Yup, crazy ambitious! Are you referring to the 5 blade anniversary trappers in MOP?
Appreciate you stopping by ::tu::
::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That's the one LA. Better hurry. Only about a week left to pick it up. :)
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Attachments
0512200946-1.jpg
0512200943a.jpg
0512200943.jpg
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm Hi all, while I have a moment, thought I would post a picture of a German Bulldog I recently got in the early spring. It is a year 2000 single damascus blade lockback display knife that Jim Parker had made for the new Millenium. The blade is 330 layers of damascus steel in a pattern Jim called "wildfire". Fully open it is 12 inches in length and quite a handful to handle. I put a regular size Bulldog below it for comparison. Handle material is Stag and 50 of this handle material were made. I only had Rose damascus examples of this pattern and decided to get the Wildfire piece. Examples of Rose Damascus can be found on page 2 and 8 of this thread. I feel blessed to have this example....the seller had a buy it now price that was 40% less than what it sold for new in year 2000 so I took him up on the offer.
Awesome! I'm driving and I had to pull over just to look ::woot::
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm That's the one LA. Better hurry. Only about a week left to pick it up. :)
I got one already ::super_happy::
Attachments
20200814_160736_HDR.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

LA, I know; just thought you would like another for your other pocket.

Targetman, talk about jaw dropping. My jaw hit my belt buckle.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 pm LA, I know; just thought you would like another for your other pocket.
🤑🤑🤑 I'm already trapper rich🤑🤑🤑
😂😂😂
I currently own 7 of them, this MOP, a Brian Yellowhorse custom, two stags, two brown jigged bones and a smooth red bone.
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Love the designs great pics!
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Hideaway Knives wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:40 pm Love the designs great pics!
::tu::
Thanks! Feel free to stop by anytime ::handshake:: .
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Here's one of my unique 20ths that I own. ::nod::
Attachments
20201002_143937.jpg
20201002_144231.jpg
20201002_144044.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very nice photos LA. It must take great skill to produce a knife like that without any blade rub. That was one of the things that impressed me when I started collecting BDs.
Targetman

Post by Targetman »

Very good looking knife. Back in the day, there were several knife clubs scattered across the country that would have Jim Parker create annual Bulldog Brand knives for their club members. Old Dominion knife club was one of them. They ordered Bulldogs as a club knife for many years. They are located in Bedford, Virginia.
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

Targetman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm Very good looking knife. Back in the day, there were several knife clubs scattered across the country that would have Jim Parker create annual Bulldog Brand knives for their club members. Old Dominion knife club was one of them. They ordered Bulldogs as a club knife for many years. They are located in Bedford, Virginia.
Thanks! ::tu::
I have these other two too, the 20th's blades are plain except for the club etching and the gunstock is from '82.
Attachments
20201209_141536.jpg
20201209_141623.jpg
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by carvin don »

::tu:: ::tu:: ... very nice!
Don
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

carvin don wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 pm ::tu:: ::tu:: ... very nice!
Thanks! ::handshake::
JoKr

Post by JoKr »

Sowbelly Stockman
Bullddog Brand Sowbelly Cuttin Horse stag bone.jpg
_ ̡̡ ̡ ̡̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡̡ı̴̡̡-̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡ ̲̲͡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡ ⛵️̡ ̡ ̡ ̡̡ ̴̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̲̲͡-̲̲̲̲͡͡͡-̲-̡̲-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̡̡̡̲̲-̡-̴̡ı̴̡̡-̡_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡*̡̡ı̴̴̡̡ ̡̡ ̡

ISO #748116 AAPK Forums Knife 2016
Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

JoKr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:43 pm Sowbelly Stockman

Beautiful pair! ::tu::
Great photograph too, thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
Attachments
20211113_072552_HDR~2.jpg
JoKr

Post by JoKr »

Loose Arrow wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 pm
JoKr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:43 pm Sowbelly Stockman

Beautiful pair! ::tu::
Great photograph too, thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
thnx, same to you ::tu::
_ ̡̡ ̡ ̡̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡̡ı̴̡̡-̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡ ̲̲͡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡ ⛵️̡ ̡ ̡ ̡̡ ̴̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̲̲͡-̲̲̲̲͡͡͡-̲-̡̲-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̡̡̡̲̲-̡-̴̡ı̴̡̡-̡_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡*̡̡ı̴̴̡̡ ̡̡ ̡

ISO #748116 AAPK Forums Knife 2016
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

What happened to the collectors of Bulldog Brand Knives? ... this thread has really dropped off the face of the earth... :x
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

I love Bulldogs and have quite a few. I will start with some Congress witch are among my favorite style knives.
Attachments
bulldog.jpg
tobacco.jpg
6 blade.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have never been disappointed with the older Bulldog knives. And those look great. Especially the 6 blade one.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Absolutely superb-looking Congresses, Chickenman. Beautiful, quality, knives. Congratulations. ::tu::
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

Thank you, I appreciate that.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1040256 (2).JPG
P1040257 (2).JPG

Return to “European-made knives”